we need to ignore Ranji Matches

We need to have a strong set up if we want to succeed as a team consistently. i believe Ranji matches do not have a standard which is just below the international Test levels... There are far too many teams.,..and just a few good players do not make a successful team... 1. We need to make Duleep Trpohy as the official selection tournament for team india probables... 2. We need to have only 5 teams in this tournament..which i believe is the case. 3. selection in this team will be base on the individual performance against various opponents..both strong and relatively weak.. 4. we need to have a scientific ranking system for teams and players...ASAP. 5. We need to develop pitches for all conditions...prominently Seaming..spinning and Fast and Bouncy. these are the few thoughts which came to my mind ...which are in think very necessary if we want to be competitive.

Re: we need to ignore Ranji Matches We have stopped producing exceptionally talented batsman who can play any type of bowling on any type of surface(ex:Sachin,Dravid). Therefore, it's imperative to breed youngsters on such tracks. The most glaring aspect is the new brigade's inability to cope with spin. Shocking coming a nation which in the past has seen even it's tailenders destroy high quality spin. All this has been said half a million times though. But never implemented.

Re: we need to ignore Ranji Matches Our premier competition should be zonal... 8 strong teams and playing one another on different surfaces on round robin basis, one home and one away game. These players should then be chosen for Ind A...If they perform, they should be then promoted to senior team..

Re: we need to ignore Ranji Matches This is what I posted in the other thread "Knee-Jerk Reaction. My sugession: Have a pool of 8 Teams (Club System?). This will give a pool of 14x8=112 best players in the country. Pick the best 14 for playing the country. For home games we need to pick 12 players. For substitutions use locally available players. It is assenine to pick 15 players for home Test/one-day matches. They can pick the team for every Test and maybe 2 1-dayers at a time for home matches.

Re: we need to ignore Ranji Matches that's an awesome suggestion -- we keep talking about 'overhauling' the domestic setup. but that's hard: things are pretty firmly entrencheed. this way, you keep the current domestic setup, and turn it into a feeder for an expanded zonal 'duleep style' tournament, which forms the basis for selection into the A/senior squads. now how do we make it happen? :shrug:

Re: we need to ignore Ranji Matches I disagree with the reduction in team number. India has a population of over a billion we need that many teams. Aus with a population equal to that of Delhi has 2-3 great teams, rather than reducing team numbers we should concentrate on having some setup to improve the quality and finding the right players. Not for a second will i believe that India cant produce another tendulkar in next 2 years, its just that we are doing a horrible job in finding one. I once faced a 12-13 yr old kid at my home town, he was to quick for me and i have played some cricket so was just amazed at the pace this kid was generating.

Re: we need to ignore Ranji Matches First increase the pay of domestic cricketers make it a genuine viable alternate career option for people, even if they dont make it to the national side. Invest in infrastructure, build some stadiums improve facilities at existing clubs, implement some standards for pitches. create more grassroots level compitions everyone should be able to play in a competative grade if they want. Once we improve the grassroots, the next sachins, dravids & kumbles will automatically follow. BTW this structure is exactly as it is in Australia & guess where they are ranked now.