No captain/coach, support staff can help

King

If the personnel are not good enough there is not much they can do differently to deliver. Even on the paper how can you claim a batting order of Jaffer, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Kaif, Karthik and Dhoni will win games for you against South Africa in South Africa??? Sehwag and Tendulkar from the above list are woefully out of form too. Even if you reckon Tendulkar was unlucky and will hit the form sooner than later Sehwag always has been hit (very rarely) and misses (more often). With this kind of lineup how do you expect to win games overseas? Even if you swap couple of players above with Mongia and Raina you will still yield the same results. Let's all be honest and accept this team lacks quality. No point expecting huge returns from these personnel and if they even last 50 overs it will be heart warming. Don't expect much reversal in the trend either in the Twenty20 (am sure our players will bat out 20 overs) or the last ODI. I expect this team to do a lot better in test matches though. Rahul did claim his chances of making it to the first test "Very very good".

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help Our team always won in the past because of one or two match winners., with other role players chipping in. Now our match winners dont perform, even when they do, its hardly a match winning performance & our role players are playing for their place in the side. With this combination, forget SA in SA, we will lose to any international ODI team, barring England. Its funny how some people elsewhere claimed, how Sehwag replacing Dravid & issuing promises to the press was gonna help, clinch our first win. Too bad, cricket aint about inspiration & speeches alone.

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help I disagree... Although captain/coach cant do much..there has been lot of chopping and changing.. first game jaffer, mongia and raina play...munaf in too..no pathan second game, out goes mongia and raina...munaf is injured..in comes pathan third game, out goes bhajji, in comes SS, in comes Jaffer you need to stick to your team for alteast few games..too much chopping and changing..

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help Kabs, but u dont persist with proven failures who appear to have no potential in these conditions & Raina is one. Starting from the CT, this guy has hardly performed, besides compared to a Karthik Raina appears to be a pu.ssy against pace & bounce. I agree Mongia deserves more chances, but Kaif & Raina must go. Enuff of them already

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help Absolutely not. Change in captaincy will do absolutely nothing to the form of a player. It's all great to hear and discuss but in reality the players are responsible for their form. I've played a lot of cricket and can relate to similar situation. Change in captaincy will make absolutely no difference to a player's morale, psyche or approach. Change in captaincy may bring change in tactics such as Pathan or Dhoni used at the top rather than in the lower middle order. Captain may prefer using spinners as against the pacemen like Sehwag did today. Also the captain may prefer experience to youth. These things will not mar or make the team but will contribute very slightly to the way the team operates. When you have 7-8 struggling players change in captaincy offers no solace to these failing players. In fact I was surprised to hear Rahul Dravid say ?Maybe its good for the team am not playing today. They may perform better if they are talked to by someone else.? I think Rahul is headed at absolute desperation and can see worrying signs. That said he is mentally very strong enough to come back and do better. The rest will help him take his mind off cricketing matters.

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help each series is different.. yes Raina looked out of sort in Durban..who dint? it was bounciest track in the SA.. Karthik has talent jst like Raina..Karthik got two starts but gave it away..thats what I hate the most..players who get starts wasting them... Dropping Mongia was unfair..

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help

In fact I was surprised to hear Rahul Dravid say ?Maybe its good for the team am not playing today. They may perform better if they are talked to by someone else.? I think Rahul is headed at absolute desperation and can see worrying signs. That said he is mentally very strong enough to come back and do better. The rest will help him take his mind off cricketing matters.
Wow, he sounds upset. Did he really say that ? I smell a divide in the team. May be Veeru & Dravid dont get along ?

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help What are Rao and Badrinath doing in India? I completely agree with Ravi regarding team selection and how change in captain/coach wont change anything. These guys are just not good enough. When you have Kaif as your number 4 and Karthik as your number 5 you know you are fielding a substandard team.

I think he was not happy to miss out games..and he wanted to encourage team...dont see any divide...team looked great on the field..
Apparently veeru & Tendu want Gangs back, but not Dravid & Chappell. This can cause some rifts

In fact I was surprised to hear Rahul Dravid say ?Maybe its good for the team am not playing today. They may perform better if they are talked to by someone else.? I think Rahul is headed at absolute desperation and can see worrying signs. That said he is mentally very strong enough to come back and do better. The rest will help him take his mind off cricketing matters.
Wow, he sounds upset. Did he really say that ? I smell a divide in the team. May be Veeru & Dravid dont get along ?
There was no hint of divide but he was just being honest there. I think he is a bit frustrated at not being able to milk performances off his trusted players. There was a bit of grin when he said that suggesting it was a light hearted comment and also a bit of despair.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help you guys hade it sound like leadershi is useless trait . Fact is better leader can get betetr results with exactly same resources. Dravid is mentally tough for his own game can't motivate others.

Re: No captain/coach, support staff can help Nothing wrong with the personnel. Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Kaif, Pathan, Zaheer, Kumble, Harbhajan ? This the most talented group of cricketers India have produced in a long time...and not too long ago, they were living up their billing. The problem is elsewhere - and i'm looking in Chappell's direction.

Also I dont understand whose great idea was it to make Sehwag vice captain? The guy is in the ODI side only because the selectors are not bold enough to try out other alternatives. The least they can do is strip him of the vice captaincy.
Apparently, he is being groomed as a future captain. I don't see any leadership traits in him at all. Sure, he wears his heart on his sleeve but does he even know anything about the nuances of the game ? I NEVER see Sehwag participating in team discussions on the pitch or providing input when needed. Perhaps he doesn't fancy the added responsibility. Not captain material in my opinion.