Who is responsible for the whole fiasco after the WC exit?

This is what Prem Panicker thinks: Anatomy of a resignation A Dummies' Guide to Manipulation: First, collect all sorts of stuff about all sorts of back room politics involving various players. Easily done, because right now, the Indian dressing room is a house divided against itself; everyone is calling his tame journalist(s) and whispering about the others. Next, put them out in print and on TV, attributing it to the coach. Again, easily done -- since the coach started out by talking freely to the media, who was to believe him if he said this time he hadn't done so? When the coach officially puts out a statement that he has neither talked of individual players, nor even written the report all this stuff is supposedly coming from, change the lead line to "sources close to the coach". Very easily done -- who is going to ask the journalist to name the source, to put up or shut up? Then take three day's worth of inflammatory stories and go to the players themselves and tell them, the coach has said this, that and the other, what do you have to say? Wait, notebook and pencil poised, for a bunch of young men who are feeling particularly vulnerable just now following the premature exit from the World Cup, then regurgitate all that they said, and some things they didn't say -- again, since none of the players are named in any of the stories, who is to say who said what? And if a player doesn't bite the bait, at least not in its entirety, create the impression anyway: for instance, Sachin said IF the coach has questioned his motivation that is bad. When you present it, though, say 'Sachin slams coach' -- when the bulk of his statement is not about the coach, but about his own feelings over India's premature exit. There you go -- the whole non-issue (non issue, because no reports, either the manager's or the coach's, have yet been submitted to the board, or shared with anyone else -- hence, nothing for the media to write about till the 7th unless, god forbid, you write about the World Cup that is still going on, how bloody boring) has been converted into a prime source of headlines, controversy, television hysteria and all the rest of it. And now that Chappell has quit (he didn't need to -- his contract has expired anyway, so this is more a way of indicating that what has happened these last few days is not something he can live with any more), we can have more fun: sanctimonious talking heads on TV can talk of how the team dis-respected the coach, and used him as a smokescreen to hide their own shortcomings. I wonder, though -- what are we going to be talking about next week, and the week after? We'll see soon enough. POSTSCRIPT: Here is an ironic side effect to the whole drama: Someone went to Sachin, asked for comment, and he gave it. That comment was twisted out of shape to create a more incendiary connotation. The BCCI reacted, by asking why a senior player had to do something that stupid. And if you check out the message board below this article, you will find a large number of people towing that line, too. Thing is, we don't need quality opposition to defeat us -- we do a fine job of that all by ourselves. In passing -- when this board first took office, both Lalit Modi and Inderjit Singh Bindra made a series of pronouncements, on all that they intended to do. Getting a professional website up and running, on which they would put out their statements of accounts, minutes of meetings and all other relevant information was one. Here is how they lived up to that promise. The other one was that they would appoint a media manager. For a brief while, they flirted with one ex-armyman, then jettisoned that 'experiment', too. Recent events should be enough to convince anyone -- except of course the BCCI itself -- why Indian cricket needs a media manager. ----------------------------------------------- Brilliant take I say. How media has taken all of us for a ride and how BCCI have fooled us!!!!

Re: Who is responsible for the whole fiasco after the WC exit?

And if a player doesn't bite the bait, at least not in its entirety, create the impression anyway: for instance, Sachin said IF the coach has questioned his motivation that is bad. When you present it, though, say 'Sachin slams coach' -- when the bulk of his statement is not about the coach, but about his own feelings over India's premature exit.
Thats what I had to say.

Re: Who is responsible for the whole fiasco after the WC exit? What will media discuss now??? I notice that TOI shifted its attention to skipper Dravid, as soon as Chappell resigned. Can't these people be a little responsible--just a tiny bit??

Good article Chandan. But some people would rather believe in the mafia version' date=' given their dislike for SRT. :lol:[/quote'] Isn't that sad Gambit? Actually the system reflects our own attitudes. We give too much importance to an individual and don't mind in running him down even if the team goes down with it. Media understands our weakpoint and runs riot by pitting each player against us by spreading all kinds of ridiculous rumours!!

Re: Who is responsible for the whole fiasco after the WC exit? Come on, it gives them a chance to relive their favorite mafia movies and series. I've probably seen all the popular names used already except may be scarface :hic:

Re: Who is responsible for the whole fiasco after the WC exit? I could be wrong but I don't think many here doubted Sachin's commitment. Yes some including myself raised doubts about his game in the recent years and I don't think that is wrong at all. If one fails to produce runs in one series none mulls over it. 2 series, still it is ok for the best to fail but when the low scores carry over to several series' people will ask questions. I don't see there is anything wrong in that. I think fair bit of people did comment on why was he going around making statements when Greg Chappell had not named him publicly. To be honest not everything is hunky dory. Tendulkar came out saying he didn't make those statements, well and good. Now I have couple of questions. When I asked yesterday why was Tendulkar going around addressing the media, someone posted a report in which BCCI confirmed Greg Chappell had in fact mentioned the seniors as putting pressure on the juniors. Now why wouldn't anyone believe a confirmed BCCI report? Now Tendulkar confirmed he has absolutely no problems with Greg Chappell and there was no rift. In that case why should he even bother answering the media or even should talk to one with regards to coach's allegation??? Let's say a TOI reporter said to Tendulkar, Greg Chappell said you suck as. Why should Tendulkar believe him in the first place if he has good relation with Greg Chappell? If someone comes to me with this kind of news the first thing I would do is ring the person and sort it out, not talk to the messenger at length. I have known a lot of reporters over the years and also know how they operate. There is a lot that goes on in the murky media business. I wouldn't trust Prem Panicker even for that matter. A lot of these fellas have an agenda usually.

Not talking about you Ravi' date=' but many have done exactly that ie the first line in your post[/quote'] I have to be brutally honest to say Sachin Tendulkar is one of the most humble being you will ever come across. I have had a chance to meet him on occassions and he is absolutely down to earth. Reserved yes but absolutely no pretentions and has a very level head. Surely he is one of the best to have as an idol. I haven't seen a lad here that doesn't want to be Tendulkar. This is not just because of his on field conduct but also off field. That was why I was surprised to see he was getting into a fight in the media ala Ganguly v Martin Crowe or Gavaskar v Ponting. If he really hasn't gone that way it is well and good. I thought for once he has buckled under the pressure.

I wouldn't trust Prem Panicker even for that matter. A lot of these fellas have an agenda usually.
Prem doesn't do reporting on cricket anymore. He is writing this in his blog!