TOI: Woolmer poisoned, then strangled: Toxicology report

Rajiv

Re: TOI: Woolmer poisoned, then strangled: Toxicology report Very shoddy investigation work....not to mention irresponsible spot hogging comments coming from the investigators... won't be surprised if they change it completely again.... If they are not sure and if further investigations are on....so why this urge to give half baked ideas to the press.

Re: TOI: Woolmer poisoned, then strangled: Toxicology report Yup I'm with Radhika on this one. I don't want to believe anything till about the time they charge someone. Tired of listening to these daily doses of varying disclosures.

Re: TOI: Woolmer poisoned, then strangled: Toxicology report This news is from The Times: link Steven Swinford and Jonathan Calvert FORENSIC tests have indicated that Bob Woolmer, the Pakistan cricket coach, was poisoned before being strangled, a source close to the Jamaican police has disclosed. Detectives believe the killer or killers used the poison to incapacitate Woolmer before murdering him in his hotel room last month. They are now focusing their investigation on the food and drink the 58-year-old consumed before his death. Police have not said which poison they believe was used, but they have quashed speculation that it was the drug aconite, which causes asphyxia. The toxicology samples and postmortem report will this week be sent to Britain for further analysis. The tests, which are preliminary, also showed relatively low levels of alcohol in Woolmer?s blood, contradicting reports he had downed a bottle of scotch before he died. ?There was evidence he was drinking, but no evidence that he was drunk,? the source said. A Scotland Yard team who have been reviewing the investigation in Jamaica will also return to Britain this week. They are understood to be satisfied with the progress of the investigation. Police are keeping an ?open mind? about the motive and are looking at a number of possibilities, including match fixing. Jeff Rees, an official at the International Cricket Council?s anticorruption unit, has been unable to find evidence of unusual betting patterns but continues to work closely with investigators. Mark Shields, the deputy police commissioner leading the inquiry, yesterday said the toxicology results had been ?encouraging?, but refused to confirm poison had been found. He said: ?If he was manually strangled and asphyxiated, why didn?t he put up a fight? I?ve always said there was a possibility he was incapacitated by something else. If I tell you they [the results] have come back and we are conducting further tests, I suggest you draw your own conclusions.? It is known Woolmer had a stomach upset on the day before his death and his team?s coach driver said he had been coughing loudly and repeatedly as they returned to the hotel after a shock defeat to Ireland. He ordered lasagne from room service between 8pm and 9pm and his body was found face up in the bathroom by the chambermaid the following morning, March 18. Shields now plans to fly to South Africa to meet Gill Woolmer, Bob?s widow, and liaise with police there about the investigation. A team of investigators is also due to travel to Pakistan to interview players over ?inconsistencies? in their statements. -------------------------------------------- so this "source" disease has contaminated the media world-wide!!! :roll: