Your player of the World Cup (Golden Ball winner)

SachDan

Your player of the World Cup (Golden Ball winner)  

1. 1.

• Villa
    • Sneijder
    • Ozil
    • Robben
    • Schweinsteiger
    • Forlan

David Villa for me. He has been the outstanding player by far, leading the Spanish attack all alone scoring vital goals and in the process single-handedly taking them to the finals. Here are the names of ten players shortlisted by FIFA

David Villa, Xavi, Andres Iniesta (Spain); Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben (Holland); Bastian Schweinsteiger, Mesut Ozil (Germany); Diego Forlan (Uruguay); Asamoah Gyan (Ghana); Lionel Messi (Argentina).
For the Golden Ball, Villa will face stiff competition from Sneijder now that his team is also in the final. If Villa can score a goal and win the cup for Spain, we might see him walking away with both Golden Ball and Golden Boot !

For me, Villa has not taken Spain single-handedly to the finals. It is like saying Ronaldo took Brazil (2002) to the finals on his own just because he scored eight out of his team's thirteen goals. Both Villa and Ronaldo have had services from their teammates - Iniesta/Xavi and Rivaldo/Ronaldinho/Carlos in case of LR9. OTOH I would say Forlan has "almost" did a Maradona '86. He has been absolutely brilliant. If Germany had reached the finals, it would have been Schweini (the result would have been inconsequential). But with them out, I think it would go to Sneijder. Tidbit: In the last three WC's, the Golden ball has gone to a player from the losing finalist.

Golden Ball is for the Goalies right??
That's Golden Glove.