For the tech wizards

The Outsider

Re: For the tech wizards So if I am on a LAN, the MAC addresses of all machines on the LAN are detectable but no one from outside the LAN can detect it? So if I use someone's open wireless network to send junk to people, I can basically never be traced? (Not that I am planning to) :hic:

Re: For the tech wizards It's very easy to spoof your MAC address shwetabh. So yeah, if you change your MAC address to somebody else's in your LAN (his computer better be off). Then restart your comp, and your stuff will appear to originate from his computer if they are tracking the packets in the gateway. The whole point about a MAC address is that it is local to a network.. after the packets go from one network to another, the MAC address changes to your network's gateway's MAC address, and so on. The IP address however is unique and stays the same of course.

Re: For the tech wizards Interesting. Given that the MAC address is the only unique identifier of your computer and is so easy to disguise, I wonder how the FBI etc. trace down internet culprits in this case. Is it because they have some other way of tracking you down or because most culprits are just not smart enough to use an open wireless network not on their name and spoof the MAC address?

Re: For the tech wizards MAC address is not the one they usually will use to nab any culprits Shwetabh. The IP address is the one that they trace first up. The law enforcement can get the IP address allocated to a particular PC by going to the ISP. The ISP (including corporates) log every IP allocated to a PC and the time of allocation. MAC address never has been the used as proof in the court of law to detect internet crimes. It is usually the IP address and the material on the PC that owned that IP address at that particular point in time that is used as proof.

Re: For the tech wizards Ravi how do they nab someone hiding behind a proxy ? Do proxies log IP traffic originating from a particular source ? Shwetabh, theres no point in tracking MACs as they can be easily changed. U dont have to be a geek to change your MAC. U can go to a near by Circuit city get an ethernet card & replace the one in your PC. Viola, you have a new MAC. Now that u have that assurance, get hacking that (ahem) website & get a few more members on board :hic: