Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002

King

Ganguly then could bat and he did bat like a champion. Nitini, Nel and the rest were taken to the cleaners. I wonder if Ganguly can ever recreate that kind of form. Simply this hundred is among the best ever with some silken touch and some massive slogging. Boycott can be heard here far too excited watching Ganguly bat. One of the better 100s in ODI for India ever scored. Go to downloads, then to current and then download this video.

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002 I think Sachin is at about 70%, he still has the shots but he is too scared to execute at times. I think Tendulkar puts a lot of price on his wicket these days but that is not the way it works for the geniuses I feel. The genius don't need to work hard, they just need to turn up Working hard, building innings and producing great knocks is for ones like Rahul Dravid, Gavaskar et al. Someone like Sachin, Sehwag, Lara, Gilchrist and the rest in the same class are not cut out for methodical approach to batting. Ganguly was pure class from about 1996-2001. Top class timing and could hit the ball a long way when required. He was a mix of Laxman and Sehwag put together then.

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002

What clean hitting. How does such a ODI player all of a sudden bats like a dunce ?
Easy. Many players who rely primarily on a straight bat, solid technique and are able to produce most of their runs through the 'V' are able to keep producing runs to some extent even when struggling for form. The likes of Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis fit into this category, all of whom have shown the capability to still grind out some runs even when completely out of nick or as their reflexes and strokes fade. On the other hand, players who rely more on 'touch' rather than a straight batted technique, and use angled bats most frequently for many of their primary strokes (Ganguly, Lara, even Ponting fall into this category) tend to struggle FAR more when out of form - and when their hand-eye coordination and reflexes start to deteriorate, their decline is far more rapid. Hence Ganguly looking like such a rabbit at points against good bowling, and hence why even Lara and Ponting have often had patches where they've appeared completely out of sorts.

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002 Good point you made there Salil. In a nutshell tight technique and to dictate batting according to the situation makes a batter that much more reliable as well as consistent. Sometimes there is more to cricket than just being consistent and reliable at times. That is when this probably not so solid techinique guys hit the form. They can surpass the best in the business and can take the game away easily. This is why cricket is a great game, both kinds can flourish and sometimes a form of such touch players on a certain day simply dictates the proceedings.

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002 Methinks its more to do with their head than real ability. Sure, SRT's eyes are slowing & he is more vulnerable to incoming deliveries than ever before, but he looks mentally resigned every time he plays against the Aussies, these days.

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002 Mentally resigned is a wrong term I think Bumper. You don't think someone is defeated mentally just because he has not produced few knocks against Australia in the recent days. It is the same fella that produced brilliant knocks against one and all not too long ago. We didn't hear anyone say Australia and the rest were mentally resigned bowling to Tendulkar. Lara has also been snared by McGrath and he wasn't looking comfortable either. I think Tendukar is also directed how to go about playing by the team and its management. In the ICC trophy it was clear Sehwag was going to go after the bowling while Tendulkar will first settle down then go for the shots. At times it just doesn't come off, either due to good bowling or bad touch. It happens to everyone and Tendulkar is no different. Do you remember Ponting against Indian in 2002? Lara against India since the start of his career barring couple of times or three?

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002 Irrespective of how much each player has deteriorated, the fact is that the best years of SRT, Dada, Laxman are behind us. Dravid with his exceptional concentration might extend his run for another couple of years. Speaking emotionally, we were lucky to have witnessed this golden age of Indian batting. The new crop of our cricketers cannot fill those large gaps in the batting lineup and hence Indian batting seems pathetic at this point of time.

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002 SRT must remember what made him so successful. He gets into trouble every time he goes on the defensive against the Aussies. All his past 100s that got us those wonderful wins, came from an aggressive Sachin. Defensive approaches rarely work in an ODI, against the Aussies. Nowadays, he seems too worried about failing than cane-ing the bowlers. I'm still pinning all my world cup hopes on him. He is one guy who can take us all the way when he hits a purple patch. But he must bat like he used to, without any fear of failure. I dont care about Ganguly's technique either. Even with his deteriorated technique he's better than the Rainas & Kaifs. If he bats with the same attitude he showed in this video, rather than pussy footing for a career saving 30, he would be a welcome addition to the team

Irrespective of how much each player has deteriorated' date=' the fact is that the best years of SRT, Dada, Laxman are behind us. Dravid with his exceptional concentration might extend his run for another couple of years. Speaking emotionally, we were lucky to have witnessed this golden age of Indian batting. The new crop of our cricketers cannot fill those large gaps in the batting lineup and hence Indian batting seems pathetic at this point of time.[/quote'] I think Laxman has been chopped far too many times and that certainly affects one's confidence. Laxman may have been out cheaply many times but has produced some good innings meanwhile too. Rahul Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman still are very capable of producing runs in the middle order in test cricket. In ODI cricket India is having trouble because runs are not coming at the top. Every other time the first wicket produces absoltuely nothing. If the openers can put some runs on the board the fortune will change dramatically. The young ones are not good enough as you pointed out to play knocks under pressure but if the openers get off to a good start am sure the rest will chip in.

Every other time the first wicket produces absoltuely nothing. If the openers can put some runs on the board the fortune will change dramatically.
Our top 3 is the biggest issue facing us right now. India has always been a batting team. We always won because of our batting match winners, with ample support from our bowlers. Thats what we must look to repeat in the worldcup.

I think Laxman has been chopped far too many times and that certainly affects one's confidence. Laxman may have been out cheaply many times but has produced some good innings meanwhile too. Rahul Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman still are very capable of producing runs in the middle order in test cricket.
Laxman's case would have been much stronger if he was showing consistency atleast at the test level (like a Kumble). But no, he is struggling to hold his Test spot as well. He is a limited ODI player but wins over his peers in technique & class. But to really push them, he needs to show us a glimpse of his vintage form. I'd rather try a Ganguly or Gambhir than Laxman at this point.

I think Laxman has been chopped far too many times and that certainly affects one's confidence. Laxman may have been out cheaply many times but has produced some good innings meanwhile too. Rahul Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman still are very capable of producing runs in the middle order in test cricket.
Laxman's case would have been much stronger if he was showing consistency atleast at the test level (like a Kumble). But no, he is struggling to hold his Test spot as well. He is a limited ODI player but wins over his peers in technique & class. But to really push them, he needs to show us a glimpse of his vintage form. I'd rather try a Ganguly or Gambhir than Laxman at this point.
I'm not saying they should try Laxman in ODIs right now. All I'm saying is don't drop Laxman to play Yuvraj, Kaif and others in test cricket. Despite a good knock against England Laxman was dropped for the Bombay test. That sends a very wrong singal to someone that experienced and also thousand times better bat than Yuvraj and Kaif. Wasn't Laxman also dropped for a 5 bowler tactic in West Indies and also in India. I can't believe they can drop someone like Laxman that consistently knowling fully well the kind of player he is.

Re: Video : Saurav Ganguly's 100 against South Africa in 2002 Many thanks for the video, Ravi. Will check it out later. I remember watching that whole match, and Ganguly was absolutely devastating that day. So many good pull shots off short deliveries sailed over the boundary for sixes. He wasn't that bad against the short-ball, now that you come to think of it. Tendulkar was just playing 2nd fiddle and took almost the entire 50 overs to reach his century ! Ganguly scored more than half the runs in their partnership. That 127 was the first ever century scored by a non-South African in an ODI @ the Wanderers. It's a shame that India wasn't able to win that match though. I recall Ganguly himself dropped Gibbs when he hadn't even crossed 20. Gibbs and Kirsten went on to build a 100+ partnership in 15 overs to wrest the momentum away from India. There was also an incredible knock of 84 he scored off just 60 odd deliveries against SA later on in the series...that was when India were chasing. Got a video of that ? It's was an incredible innings - he just went berserk, like he did in the Natwest Final. Quite a sight.

I'm still pinning all my world cup hopes on him. He is one guy who can take us all the way when he hits a purple patch. But he must bat like he used to' date=' without any fear of failure.[/quote'] You can be sure that by the time the World Cup arrives, he will have mentally prepared himself to go all-out against any bowler he faces. I have no worries about our batting order. Most of them are quality batsman and they will undoubtedly raise their game when the occasion demands it. My only worry is whether the Indian bowling attack can perform at the same level at which the trio of Zaheer, Nehra and Srinath did back in '03.

^U think Sachin is not struggling to score runs' date=' now ? These days he bats like a mere mortal, sometimes lesser than the avg batsmen.[/quote'] Yes, but he's still capable of making runs. There have been games (like the WI match) where he still can score - not with his old destructiveness or class, but can still accumulate and make scores. Was never the case with a Ganguly or Ponting out of nick - remember the Angry Annoying Midget in India in 01. Looked terribly out of sorts, and only made it to double figures once thanks to Sairaj Bahutule's shyte fielding and an umpiring misjudgement.