Ford: Thanks but no thanks

King

NOT guilty! That's what Liz Ford, wife of Graham Ford, said after hearing that her husband had turned down the opportunity of becoming India's next coach . More... Ford: Thanks but no thanks bypic_658.gif Iqbal Khan June 12 2007 at 11:54AM NOT guilty! That's what Liz Ford, wife of Graham Ford, said after hearing that her husband had turned down the opportunity of becoming India's next coach - considered one of the biggest and most lucrative jobs in world cricket. "I'm as surprised as you are," she said from her home outside Durban late on Monday. "I have not heard from Graham as he was in negotiations with Kent all day yesterday - you're the first to let me know of his decision." When pressed if she had anything to do with her husband's surprise decision, she said: "I certainly did not have an input.

top.DisplayAds('SquarLAV',12,17);

Ad1417451St1Sz165Sq787816V0Id1.jpg

"We, as a family, go along with whatever decision he takes as he is the bread-winner of the family. We do not influence him at all. "We certainly miss him when he's not at home and he certainly does as well, but at the end of the day, it was a decision he made after putting everything into perspective and we respect him for that." Liz Ford is a former tennis star who played at provincial level and is now a full-time tennis coach. Ford, who was one of two international coaches interviewed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India in Chennai on Saturday, surprisingly turned down the toughest and most lucrative coaching jobs. It is believed that the one-year contract is worth more than $2,5-million, so Ford must have good reasons for saying no. He has decided to see out his contact with Kent, which runs until the 2008 English County Championship season, and is expected to assist the Dolphins in the South African summer. "After careful consideration, I have decided to continue my work at Kent. "This has been a really difficult decision. I am honoured that India have shown such interest in my capabilities, but feel that this is the right decision for me and my family," the 46-year-old Ford said in a statement posted on the Kent club website. Midway through the 2006/2007 season, Ford, who was in his third stint with the KwaZulu-Natal Dolphins, decided to leave the job for personal reasons. He did not want to elaborate on the details. Meanwhile, Ali Bacher, the former managing director of the United Cricket Board, said at the weekend that Ford was reluctant to take on the South African job as well when it was first offered to him. "He had come up to Johannesburg for the interview and we knew he was the right man for the job. "We offered it to him. However he turned down the job at first," Bacher recalled of the incident. "I then spoke to him about the importance of the job and of his ability to do it as the players believed he was the best at the time. "It was only after that Graham decided to take up the position as South African coach," said Bacher.

Meanwhile, Ali Bacher, the former managing director of the United Cricket Board, said at the weekend that Ford was reluctant to take on the South African job as well when it was first offered to him. "He had come up to Johannesburg for the interview and we knew he was the right man for the job. "We offered it to him. However he turned down the job at first," Bacher recalled of the incident. "I then spoke to him about the importance of the job and of his ability to do it as the players believed he was the best at the time. "It was only after that Graham decided to take up the position as South African coach," said Bacher.
So basically he hesitates to take up tough jobs!

A few observations: 1) Am I the only one who has gotten fed up of this, "I had no idea! I read it first in the newspaper only" routine?? Seems everyone plays the same card over and over these days and it seems more like an act than truth these days. 2) I am not sure what is the source of this article but if the author is correct about "It is believed that the one-year contract is worth more than $2,5-million, so Ford must have good reasons for saying no" then it throws out of the window talks about bad contractual details. 2.5 million a year is as good as anyone is gonna get, player or coach. I somehow feel the figure is not right though. 3) With Ali Bacher's statement it does seem like Ford is relucantant to take tough jobs. Maybe that would explain his personality of "staying in the background and let players hog the limelight". A good coach perhaps but a weak personality otherwise. Am I the only one thinking that Greg Chappell is somehow proving to be more valuable by the day and that if anyone is having the last laugh it is Greggie boy. xxxx

The morons multiplied 20,000 X 12 and came up with 2.5 million. It's $240,000 per year, or around £125,000. Ford would be earning close to that now at Kent.
Doubt Ford is earning anywere near that at Kent. Plus you add on the endorsments of being india coach and he would have earned Miles more!
"I have not heard from Graham as he was in negotiations with Kent all day yesterday - you're the first to let me know of his decision."
That sums it up. Cant fault him, he never applied for this job. He was hauled out of nowhere for the interview. Ford didnt let this opportunity go by, secured a competitive offer to negotiate with Kent better. He's too smart & resourceful to work with our slouches.
Doubt Ford is earning anywere near that at Kent. Plus you add on the endorsments of being india coach and he would have earned Miles more!
Bottomline: 20K per month for a 6-12 guaranteed month job that comes with stress, travel, uncooperative board and players vs 10K or whatever at Kent, longer stint, no travel, where he is THE MAN. This is a no brainer, hardly anything to think about.

Bumper -- Do you think money would have been THAT big a factor ? And what a challenge it would have been to Ford , to actually coach the most cricket crazy nation in the world to victory. He would have become the most adored foreigner in India, IF he had won that is... Obviously there is more to this than contractual issues. Coz if there were issues on that regard , BCCI wouldnt have so confidently announced he was the next coach.. Maybe he just didnt like the feel of it... Who knows..

Its a combination of better life style (at Kent vs living in India), less stress (less media/fan pressure, less travel), similar $$$ & more authority (Director of cricket vs a coach who cant even fire a senior player). This is like dumping a well paid job in the US to take up an offer in rural suburbs of Africa for equivalent money, higher risk & virtually no guranatee of job.

But that is exactly the point -- This is NOT a job.. this was a challenge.. Why do you think Greg Chappell wanted to coach India in the first place ? For money ??? This was Ford's moment of recokning... he let it pass...

Its a combination of better life style (at Kent vs living in India), less stress (less media/fan pressure, less travel), similar $$$ & more authority (Director of cricket vs a coach who cant even fire a senior player). This is like dumping a well paid job in the US to take up an offer in rural suburbs of Africa for equivalent money, higher risk & virtually no guranatee of job.
What the hell are you going on about???? He was not going to live in the suburbs of Africa. He was going to go and work in high flying INDIA!