Dhoni, Karthik, or both?

To achieve the right team balance what would be the best approach? Our batting is brittle to say the least and against the English bowling attack in their conditions it would be foolish to go in with 5 batsmen and a keeper. We must go in with 6 batsmen and a keeper. How do Dhoni and Karthik fit into the scheme of things? None of them is a better batsman than Laxman, Ganguly, or Yuvraj people they are going to compete with for a spot. I think a tough decision would have to be taken and Dhoni axed for the test matches. Karthik would open and we would play a middle order of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, and Yuvraj. In case when Karthik has kept for a very long time, someone from the middle order would have to fill in for him and open. Yuvraj would have to bite the bullet and take on some challenges if he wants to cement his spot.

My stance on this has been clear for some time now. If Dhoni can't perform in Tests, he should be dropped ASAP. He hasn't done anything substantial in Test cricket for a long time. Karthik is a better batsman and a more worthy selection, but only as a lower-order batsman (and wicketkeeper) - NOT as an opener.

^ That might be the long term way to go specially if Sehwag can come back strongly but my question was more specific to this tour where Karthik has been selected as an opener and a backup keeper. I think we are wasting a chance to play our best batsmen by playing both Karthik and Dhoni.

To achieve the right team balance what would be the best approach? Our batting is brittle to say the least and against the English bowling attack in their conditions it would be foolish to go in with 5 batsmen and a keeper. We must go in with 6 batsmen and a keeper. How do Dhoni and Karthik fit into the scheme of things? None of them is a better batsman than Laxman, Ganguly, or Yuvraj people they are going to compete with for a spot. I think a tough decision would have to be taken and Dhoni axed for the test matches. Karthik would open and we would play a middle order of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, and Yuvraj. In case when Karthik has kept for a very long time, someone from the middle order would have to fill in for him and open. Yuvraj would have to bite the bullet and take on some challenges if he wants to cement his spot.
Personally,I would axe dhoni, but keep karthik in place of ganguly. my batting lineup would look like jaffer/sehwag/gambhir ----> openers dravid tendulkar laxman yuvraj Karthik. another line of thought would be to make karthik open, which i dont think is such a bad idea.. karthik/jaffer/gambhir---->openers dravid tendulkar laxman yuvraj ganguly
^ That might be the long term way to go specially if Sehwag can come back strongly but my question was more specific to this tour where Karthik has been selected as an opener and a backup keeper. I think we are wasting a chance to play our best batsmen by playing both Karthik and Dhoni.
Its not easy to open as well as keep for 5 days. I dont remember anyone doing it in test matches.. can you remember anyone who did it consistently?
I think we are wasting a chance to play our best batsmen by playing both Karthik and Dhoni.
Well, guess what ? This is exactly what India will do. They will stubbornly stick with the combination which won in Banglastan. At least, for the first test.
Its not easy to open as well as keep for 5 days. I dont remember anyone doing it in test matches.. can you remember anyone who did it consistently?
Alec Stewart did it.

I wouldn't drop Ganguly. He has shown tremendous will to stay at the wicket since his comeback. No, I don't think anyone has kept and opened on a consistent basis but it's only with this tour in mind that I am raising the question. Once Sehwag comes back we can have Karthik in the middle order.

dhoni has been wasting a place in test match.. he has been awful in tests.. drop him for a series and i bet he will come back with more clear head.. on other hand, karthik has been doing an awesome job.. he is adjusting to different positions very well including as an opener.. one thing that i will miss if we drop dhoni is that when we will need quick runs down the order, we wont have anyone else to rely on other than yuvi.. and those quick runs can decide a match..

one thing that i will miss if we drop dhoni is that when we will need quick runs down the order, we wont have anyone else to rely on other than yuvi.. and those quick runs can decide a match..
There is almost zero chance of Yuvraj and Dhoni both playing. I would rather put my money on Yuvraj than Dhoni.

If it's between Yuvraj and Dhoni, then i am afraid Dhoni will be the one who makes the cut. Regardless of his ODI heroics, Yuvraj hasn't done himself any favours in this warm-up match (or during his whole test career for that matter !) so the choice is still a difficult one. Dravid will write their names on opposite sides of a 1 pound coin, and he will toss it before announcing his team.

Alec Stewart did it.
You're right.. Stewart did it for 45 tests... When RSD was asked who is gonna keep (during the bangla series).. he said dhoni.. coz it is not possible to open as well as keep in this heat. I dont know what they will do in engerland.. but i feel dhoni will be designated keeper
Guest dada_rocks

Man I am at loss: Dhoni fan I am but mind saya Karthik is outperfomring him these days so what to do. Let the mind prevail: Karthik gets in ahead of Dhoni but he must not open.

Play both. The success of Karthick as a batsman depends on the fact that he is selected purely as one. He should be made the opener and the very thought that he has to score or else get the boot will keep him on his toes. And we desperately need an opener to fire on this tour(I dont have much hope from Jaffer). Dhoni should play purely as a keeper. Any runs from him is just a bonus. xx

Personally,I would axe dhoni, but keep karthik in place of ganguly. my batting lineup would look like jaffer/sehwag/gambhir ----> openers dravid tendulkar laxman yuvraj Karthik. another line of thought would be to make karthik open, which i dont think is such a bad idea.. karthik/jaffer/gambhir---->openers dravid tendulkar laxman yuvraj ganguly
Dravid opening the batting was one of the reasons why IND lost the series against PAK.
Dravid opening the batting was one of the reasons why IND lost the series against PAK.
I disagree. Dravid starred in a record-breaking 400 run opening stand with Sehwag at Lahore (i still can't believe they did that) and no one can question his contribution at Faisalabad either. His hundred was absolutely crucial, especially as Sehwag had departed early for 31. India lost that series on the first day of the Karachi Test. That one day made all the difference.
I disagree. Dravid starred in a record-breaking 400 run opening stand with Sehwag at Lahore (i still can't believe they did that) and no one can question his contribution at Faisalabad either. His hundred was absolutely crucial, especially as Sehwag had departed early for 31. India lost that series on the first day of the Karachi Test. That one day made all the difference.
That pitch at Lahore was possibly the flattest pitch in the history of test cricket so unless beaten in the air any batsman would have been able to score runs. At Faisalabad it was a slightly more tricky situation but once again the pitch was extremely flat and it didn't make much of a difference as to where Dravid batted he was always going to score runs how ever in the make or break situation at Karachi he only lasted for 16 balls in the entire match(11 and 5). Plus his overall record as an opener is well below par with an average 33 in 8 matches and it's no surprise that IND have only been able to win one out of those 8 matches.