Bowling options for the 1st test

novpj

Forget the uncertainty surrounding openers - we have a bigger issue with our bowling. Who would you play - would you rather play (seemingly) mediocre bowlers like RP Singh or Bose or play a better spinner like Powar even though the conditions probably favor a swing bowler? In my mind its a toss up between RPS and Bose. I would go with Bose based on his domestic record (if he cant succeed in England he has no hope).

If the pitches are as flat as they seem to be , we need bowlers with that extra zip. If it doesnt swing , Bose will be easy pickings for the batsman. RPS gets extra bounce. He should get the nod in. By the way , how many of you here that RP Singh has hyper-extension in his arm too , just like Shoaib Akhtar !

This was revealed during India's tour of Pakistan last year. Holding and co. did an analysis of it on Straight Drive
That video was VERY revealing i would say. After seeing it , i realized - Shoaib chucks , PERIOD.:D

They brought it up a little too late in the series though. That segment was presented during the Karachi test, by the time India had effectively lost the series. At that stage, it just sounded like sour grapes - Boycott and Waqar said as much themselves. Had the Indian team drawn attention to it earlier, it would have stirred up some emotions in the p@ki camp and that may have worked to India's advantage

It's sad how India can never field 3 competent seamers at the same time. Usually only 2 have been fit and on form, the third has invariably been a dud. I don't expect things to be any different this time around. Why doesn't India just play 2 spinners ? Can Chawla really be any worse than RPS or Bose ?

^ Spot on , Predz. That has been THE BIGGEST reason for India's poor show abroad over the years. Spinners are seldom going to be effective for the first 3-4 days of a test outside India and SL and if you are going to carry a passenger as your third seamer it is going to hurt as it did even when Prasad and Srinath bowled some of the best new ball opening spells in their heyday.

Like it or not the bowling line up is going to be Zaheer, Sreesanth, RP and AK. Bose won't get a chance and rightly so. RPS has some experience of international cricket and obviously will be the automatic choice for the 4th bowler.

^^ yes, ravi. from all appearances and stuff floating out from the "think-tank," the bowling will be ZK, SS, RPS and AK to be complemented by dada. sorry, but both Bose and IS seemed not cut out for int'l cricket in their respective outings. i will be super-shocked if Bose makes it over RPS.

I think the bowling isn't too bad but of late it has been frustrating Indian bowlers can't get the tail out quickly enough. The lack of ability to clean up the tail has costed India series', ODIs and test matches in the last year or two. It's sad to see Anil not able to run through the tail anymore.

That video was VERY revealing i would say. After seeing it ' date=' i realized - Shoaib chucks , PERIOD.:D[/quote'] politics has prevented some chuckers from being kicked out the game, PERIOD... all backed by the indian board FULL-STOP.
Have you read the report published by the UW ?
There are some on out here who call Murali a chucker as well despite all those reports and science. I am positive they believe that the earth is flat because that's all they see. I have my doubts over Akhtar's action after that report but am willing to side with the scientists till better evidence is brought out.

1. Have you checked the weather forecast - showers/ cloudy. Why won't we play bose in these conditions. I for one believe in horses for courses and hope we put the best team on the ground based on the conditions. 2. Regarding chucking, why would one believe any tests when the bowlers can change how they bowl in actual conditions - did they ensure that the speed, loop turn, drift (in case of spinners) were the same. In my book both shoaib and murali are chuckers.