End of The Day Thoughts

We are alive! And kicking. A target of 243 is a far cry and if there's a full day's play, admittedly India would find it hard to survive, but the forecast isn't the best and we may not get a full day's play. I liked the focus that Ganguly and Kartick showed, playing each ball on its merit, not retreating into their shells. Even when Vaughan drew the fielders in, they didn't succumb to false shots. The English pacers are beginning to look quite innocuous. Monty is a different proposition though. He's going to bowl some pearlers there if allowed to, and India must not, repeat, must not be overly defensive against him. We had one rough decision, and one borderline one against our two best players, but we haven't succumbed...yet. What happens tomorrow may not only define this series, but the character of this team for a while to come. That 144 by Ganguly at Brisbane set the tone for an amazing run of play from a perennially underachieving team. Back then, Ganguly inspired his teammates to believe in the impossible, and by Jove, for a while at least, they did. A win at Adelaide, a near victory at Sydney against a team far better than this current English side, followed by two 600+ scores against a formidable bowling line up in their backyard, allied with two crushing innnings defeats was the stuff of folklore. India were always an inconsistent team, but it cuts both ways, doesn't it? It may be unfair to expect the same from him, but I am not with the naysayers tonight. I believe all three results are still possible in this match. I'd exhort the eight batsmen out there to live by Gambo's all-encompassing signature word. Believe.

Ah Sriram, but as I just pointed out, a full day's play is unlikely. Why torture yourself with visions of the worst case scenario? Let's just keep that candle burning tonight. Who knows, it just might...just might happen.
Fair enough.. Fingers crossed.

I must admit, i didnt expect a 135/3 from these wusses. 57/3 @ 1.5 RPO was what expected. England wont need more than 40 overs tomorrow to bowl us out. If Karthik goes early, expect Ganguly & Laxman to shut shop, poke & prod for 10 odd overs, before the pu$$y march to death begins.

It may be unfair to expect the same from him, but I am not with the naysayers tonight. I believe all three results are still possible in this match
IMO the only 3 possible outcomes are: 1) Rain induced draw by washing out the day's play completely 2) Rain induced draw by leaving too little overs to bowl us out (less than 20) 3) A thumping English win with one session to spare. When i wake up tomorrow morning, i expect to be pi$$ed after a glance at the scorecard.

I also expect rain but hope that the 'night watchmen' or 'lord snooty' & kkd come to the party and make a game of it. I bludy hate the English. Two bad decisions - RD the worst but in SRT's case - he was also struck outside the like of the off stump, which means not out. It looks as if Englishmen are playing with 12 while India are playing with 10.5 (my favourite player's captaincy is totally cr@p. Just doesn't know when to change the bowlers. Need a younger captain. etc).

Just a word on Sreesanth. I am a huge fan of his, but he was clearly sub-par today. What set him out from the crowd on the SA tour was his ability to land the ball unerringly on the seam. His seam position was immaculate. It doesn't matter what pitch you bowl on, if you have that trait, you'll always reap rewards. For some reason, he's not doing that any more. He's generating some really good speed, but because the ball is not sitting up like it did a few months back, batsmen are hitting him through the line. He needs to go back to the nets and get back that special gift.

Sreesanth relies too much on a single weapon -- Late swing bowled at a brisk pace. If that doesnt happen, his penetration drops drastically. His pace then, becomes a liability , not an asset. He must discover newer tools that work even in unfavorable conditions.

yipee, we are in with a chance to win this test. I was surprised that we were able to bowl out England both innings without them having to declare. For India to have a chance of victory, they MUST NOT lose a wicket in the first session. According to analysts, chance of a draw is most likely, then followed by english victory, and then the Indian victory. I hope its the latter:D