Did Eng deserve to win this?

Except for Pieterson and Prior in batting nobody else showed the gumption to fight. May be Anderson and sidetop were inexperienced, but still bowled their hearts out and with help from umpires, they got till 9 wkts. But how can one say they deserved to win? For Dhoni, Kartik, Jaffer, Singh, Zaheer, Laxman and Ganguly's efforts, India didn't deserve to lose. Up yours, BBC, CI and Eng commentators.....

I dont know about deserve or not. But England were strong favourites to win the game if there were even 10 more overs. On the other hand, you do have to give some credit to Karthik, Gangs, Dhoni and laxman for their innings. If it weren't for them, this match would have ended long time ago. Also England knew that the weather was going to be bad on day 5. If they were that keen on winning, then they should have declared earlier. Everyone knew of the bad weather of day 5. It was just a question of when not if.

Of course they deserved it. Think back to the first test of the Test series vs WI - when India came within 1 wicket of beating them in that last over by Sreesanth. Did India deserve to win that day, given how they outplayed WI ? Of course. Give credit where it's due. ENG were the better team and would have beaten India comfortably had the weather not played a part.

It's more like India deserved to lose consider the fact that we are playing second string team from England !
ok, so their bowling is new. Monty--> first choice spinner Sidebottom---> I think, he has strongly cemented his place in the side as a bowler Tremlett--> in place of Harmison who was out of form Anderson--> bowled with great control ok, the last two are not regulars yet As many of the commentators said, this seems to be their best bowling lineup since the Ashes 05 But one point that people miss is that their batting lineup has got stronger with the inclusion of Cook, Vaughn, and Prior.
The only thing that England could not take 10 wkts tells me they did NOT deserve to win :wink_smile:
Play around with the technicalities all you want, but you cannot deny the fact that ENG would have taken the full set had there been no weather interruption. Could Sreesanth and Dhoni have survived for another 50 overs ? Answer; NO
Of course they deserved it. Think back to the first test of the Test series vs WI - when India came within 1 wicket of beating them in that last over by Sreesanth. Did India deserve to win that day, given how they outplayed WI ? Of course. Give credit where it's due. ENG were the better team and would have beaten India comfortably had the weather not played a part.
this is not to say that Eng do not deserve to win, but going by your logic, if weather did not play its part, then anything could have happened. My point is, Eng had a relatively easy first day, they batted on batsman friendly conditions only for the weather to play its part in denying India the same chance to bat in good conditions. so weather played it's part in multiple ways. Anyway, the difference was KOP and purely for his innings, KOP deserves to be on the winning side and by extension Eng deserve to win.

England did deserve to win. Any one who thinks any differently needs either a sedative, a straight jacket, or a new sport to follow. I suggest netball. I have no idea why it makes any difference though. Bottom line is, it's all square. Let's move onto Trent Bridge.

India deserved to draw this game more than England winning it. For starters England lacked the eagerness, their over rate was sloppy, their fielders took their own time and Monty bowled from around the stumps wasting several balls that could have taken a wicket to win the game for England. England showed they lacked the game plan. They utterly wasted the new ball by bowling too short. They made the batters play less ball and they pretty much did not look like a unit that was out there to win the game. Despite knowing bad weather was around the corner they failed to hurry up the proceedings. For me there was only one worthy team that deserved a draw on the last day i.e India. They had their backs against the wall and they put in good effort for pretty much ever wicket.