Isn't he one of the most elegant batsman around??

yes, talkin about V.v.S he surely might have played better and more elegent looking shots then this one.. but this was one of his classiest shot int his 3 match test series.. chk the video and acc to u isn't he one of the most elegent batsman around?? i edited it a bit.. just like how i usually do..

http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701' standby='Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components...' type='application/x-oleobject'> http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/' id='mediaPlayer' name='mediaPlayer' displaysize='4' autosize='-1' bgcolor='darkblue' showcontrols="true" showtracker='-1' showdisplay='0' showstatusbar='-1' videoborder3d='-1' width="320" height="285" src="http://www.indiancricketfans.com/files/cricketics_icf/lax_maza_aa_gaya_yaar.wmv" autostart="false" designtimesp='5311' loop="false">
Launch in external player
to download - Click here

VVS is both elegance and ugliness personified. The above was an example of supreme elegance. If you get one of the incoming balls where he is clueless, gets bowled and then is bent forward on the pitch with his face saying "that was a peach delivery - not fair"...thats ugliness. But overall, I would pay to watch VVS' shots like the ones above (not paying you cricketics :-) )

I have always wondered , how can a batsman impart so much power on the ball , by merely placing the bat in it path and not actually hitting it. I have played quite a bit of hard-ball cricket. I give the ball an almighty thump , only to see it rolling down the pitch... :confused_smile:

I have always wondered , how can a batsman impart so much power on the ball , by merely placing the bat in it path and not actually hitting it. I have played quite a bit of hard-ball cricket. I give the ball an almighty thump , only to see it rolling down the pitch... :confused_smile:
i feel you man... as a bowler, i dont mind a batsman charging down and trying to hoick me for half a dozen or so (and often they dont succeed), but if i am up against a batsman who uses timing and placement i lose my calm. i argue that if i am running in at full steam, landing my 200lbs frame on one bloody leg, risking ankle injury, enduring shin splints and myraids of knee problems, the batsman atleast put some effort into it. if is gonna just time the ball, i might as well stand and toss it over to him... thankfully not been against many such batsmen lately (most of the blokes i play with are pakis so they are all midwicket slog whores).
Guest dada_rocks
Poor u.. I too used to wonder about bowling fast.. one of my class-mate used to be lightning quick despite being frail in stature main sala dar dar ke aaun fir bhi wahin bailgari wali speed. Timing the ball while batting was never a problem I could do that with home-made wooden bat.. BTW I guess in contemporary cricket nobody times the ball better than Yuvraj Singh.. He will make VVS's shot look ugly when on song..
As I was primarily a bowler, I can remember my 6 sixes perfectly. :wink_smile: Not one was hit hard or was an intentional six. My first was going to be a simple forward defence but I noticed 2 things. The bowled hadn't been getting any swing and mid off was set a bit closer than normal so I just thought I'd loft it over him to put my batsman on strike. It cleared the mid off ok. And it cleared long off as well. :regular_smile: My other 5 were all similar, in that I was just trying to put my batsman on strike - except they were chips over the mid wicket fieldsman. The first one of these was a loft to a vacant deep mid wicket. As soon as it left my bat, I called, "Yep. One" and set off for the other end. When I looked up, I saw my friend standing there with the biggest grin. I then saw the umpy signalling a six. The point I'm making is the subject of this topic. TIMING. My bat was a 2lb 7oz Grey Nic double scoop. It had the sweetest of sweet spots. I didn't find it very often but when I did, I was pleasantly surprised. At least 6 times. :wink_smile:
Timing the ball while batting was never a problem I could do that with home-made wooden bat.. BTW I guess in contemporary cricket nobody times the ball better than Yuvraj Singh.. He will make VVS's shot look ugly when on song..
That is where Yuvraj is different DR. He is a rare mix of timing and power. I quite havent seen anybody like before , or since. He can hammer a good ball over mid-wicket standing tall , and he can also play a classy stroke down the ground with the full face of the bat. Yuvi is one in a million.
thats cus,the bowlers u face r wayy slower... the ground probably has long grass, with weed's and holes in the out field to slow the ball down..+ most int. ground (cus of the drainage system) have a slope..so balls dosent slow down:two_thumbs_up:
Guest dada_rocks

Yuvraj singh, sehwag, karthik.dhoni,jaffer,manoj tiwari, rohit sharma.. heck our batting seems to be in good hands for the next decade at least..

That is where Yuvraj is different DR. He is a rare mix of timing and power. I quite havent seen anybody like before , or since. He can hammer a good ball over mid-wicket standing tall , and he can also play a classy stroke down the ground with the full face of the bat. Yuvi is one in a million.
Surely you've seen one Adam Gilchrist, mm ???
You never saw Mark Waugh batting?