jj_28

Who's our No.6?  

1. 1.

• Rohit Sharma
    • Suresh Raina
    • Rahane
    • Badrinath
    • Tiwary

Our Test batsmen have been a disappointment recently and many here would like Sehwag, Sachin even Gambhir to be replaced by the likes of Rahane and co. but it's likely these voices will fall on deaf ears since to the selectors these players provide experience to a fairly young side and still command an international average of over 50 not to mention its on the back of these players that India achievd no.1 status in Test and won the WC. But one position where they are trying to find a player for is the no. 6 position, Raina is the current occupant but he like others before him has been found wanting. Right now our selectors have 5 options to choose from - Raina, Badrinath, Rohit, Tiwary and Rahane and their stats are as follow

Raina TEST - Games 16 - Runs 710 - Average 29.58 FIRST CLASS - Games 71 - Runs 4700 - Average 43 Badrinath TEST - Games 2 - Runs 63, Average 21 FIRST CLASS - Games 104 - Runs 7863 - Average 60.74 Rohit FIRST CLASS - Games 49 - Runs 3893 - Average 59.89 Tiwary FIRST CLASS - Games 57 - Runs 4335 - Average 58.58 Rahane FIRST CLASS - Games 53 - Runs 4924 - Average 63.94
Rahane is obviously the best of the lot but the downside is that he's an opening batsmen and we need someone to look after our middle order and the idea of moving Sehwag to no.5 or no.6 is a scary thought because that would mean Kohli, Sehwag and Dhoni as our no.5 to 7 none of them with the patience to stop a train wreck and stabilize an innings like Laxman did on many occasions Raina as his stats show (and his performances) is much more suited to the ODI and T20s where he can play his natural game and at his pace Badrinath is an interesting case he has amassed a huge amount of runs in first class cricket recently but at almost 32 he doesn't provide a long term cover for that position and when he was given a chance he didn't make the most of it Tiwary has done really well in first class cricket, he's a middle order batsmen and he has performed with both bat and bowl in the recent ODI but he has been overlooked up till now and until he cements his place in the ODI side I fear he will be continued to be overlooked for the Test side Rohit is the most interesting he has an average of almost 60 in first class cricket yet he has never been considered for the Test side and in a format where he clearly doesn't perform (both in international and domestic cricket) he has been given chance after chance at the expense of players like Tiwary
To summarize The no.6 spot doesn't have a natural successor like Pujara was for the no.3 spot but it does have people who need to be given a chance to make this position their own and for me Tiwary, Rohit and Badrinath are the best suited to it from the current lot Rahane will get his chance but it will be as a top order batsmen and will likely be as Sachin or Sehwag's replacement whoever goes first for now it's likely Sehwag/Sachin will be asked to retire from ODIs to further their test career soon and Rahane brought in their place Raina is just not suited to Test cricket (I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a great Test batsmen but I don't see it happening) and should stick and excel in ODI and T20

long term Sharma at 6 and Rahane at 4 (I've feeling Sachin is going to retire after aussie series in march). I also feel Sehwag is going to get raped in both the Eng and Aus series and we'll have Chand opening for India in SA in Nov 2013 (Khayali Pulao but I think it will happen).

long term Sharma at 6 and Rahane at 4 (I've feeling Sachin is going to retire after aussie series in march). I also feel Sehwag is going to get raped in both the Eng and Aus series and we'll have Chand opening for India in SA in Nov 2013 (Khayali Pulao but I think it will happen).
Chand maybe a great prospect but he still has a lot to learn and a few years with India A and domestic cricket will make sure he's ready when he gets his chance At home Sehwag is a tough prospect to handle and it might be after SA series in late 2013 where the media pressure finally pushes him or Sachin out of the door

tbh Yuvraj is better in the No.6 position than those you listed. But I feel it's got to be a new guy like Chand, Zol, Mandeep etc. One of the youngsters will have step up in the future. Hopefully Rohit justifies his natural talent. Obviously his potential ability is greater than others, but handling pressure is poor.

tbh Yuvraj is better in the No.6 position than those you listed. But I feel it's got to be a new guy like Chand' date=' Zol, Mandeep etc. One of the youngsters will have step up in the future. Rahane not suited to 6 others listed are poor except maybe Rohit who's in poor form.[/quote'] Yuvi is similar to Raina for me much more suited to the ODI and T20 Chand, Zol are too young and isn't Mandeep an opening batsmen as well Tiwary, Badrinath are averaging 60 in domestic circuit I wouldn't call them poor they are not flashy but they know how to graft an innings and you need that in your team. Would like to see them given a chance before discarding them
Yuvi is similar to Raina for me much more suited to the ODI and T20 Chand, Zol are too young and isn't Mandeep an opening batsmen as well Tiwary, Badrinath are averaging 60 in domestic circuit I wouldn't call them poor they are not flashy but they know how to graft an innings and you need that in your team. Would like to see them given a chance before discarding them
Mandeep is not opener. No.4, averages 63 so far. Tiwary, Badri can accumulate against poor bowlers not good bowlers.

tendus powers are on the wane so he should now move to no.6 in the twilight of his career, pujara 3, kohli 4, nohit 5. if the top order collapses he is there to steady things, and can also go into ultra aggressive mode if needs be. but will he be willing to take one for the team for once, that is the question?

tendus powers are on the wane so he should now move to no.6 in the twilight of his career, pujara 3, kohli 4, nohit 5. if the top order collapses he is there to steady things, and can also go into ultra aggressive mode if needs be. but will he be willing to take one for the team for once, that is the question?
Won't be asked but a very good suggestion mate, I never even though of that
Mandeep is not opener. Tiwary, Badri can accumulate against poor bowlers not good bowlers.
Didnt he start the batting in IPL, what position does he like playing in I would give them a chance over Raina and see how they do in 1-2 test matches

F Raina. Should be nowhere CLOSE to the test team. He is the new age Yuvraj - invaluable in the shorter formats but technically inept for the longer format of the game. Luckily we had a solid batting order that kept Yuvraj out for the most part... now we will struggle. Raina might at first succeed in the subcontinent but I dread the day we are 84/4 in Australia or Souh Africa with Raina walking in. :nervous: In the current squad I would pick Badrinath, personally.