Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats...

Sooda

Re: Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats... Yousuf has a Bradman like year and now he has a huge chance to break Viv's 30 year record so it's safe to say that the torch has been passed from Inzi to Yousuf! Now having said that i feel for him to be in the same conversation as Miandad and Inzi he'll have to contine performing for another 2 years or so. I reckon the tour of SA will be a litmus test and will determine if he is just a very good player or he's on path for greatness!

Re: Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats...

Sooda's grandpa. Tried to sneak his name in. Didn't work. :hic:
Hahah...he existed..believe it.
1. Miandad 2. Hanif Mohammad 2. Inzy 4. Saeed Anwar 5. Mohammad Yousuf 6. Zaheer Abbas
That looks about right I guess. Not sure if MoYO is better than Abbas.

Re: Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats... I don't reckon Yousuf or Inzi is anywhere near Miandad. They both have failed consistently against SA and the Aussies. Miandad has excellent record against pretty much everyone and by Lillee's own confession he was one of the best he bowled against.

Re: Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats... Yousuf is in the same class as Inzamam, so arguably in their top 3. They both plundered runs in the post milennium era when flat pitches became the norm and each team's bowling attacks weakened as a result of excessive ODI cricket. I'd rate Saeed Anwar as the best Pakistani batsman i've seen - he actually did well in all conditions, not just at home. He also batted superbly in matches against India...that 188 @ Kolkata being the best innings i've ever seen played by a foreigner on Indian soil.

1. Miandad 2. Hanif Mohammad 2. Inzy 4. Saeed Anwar 5. Mohammad Yousuf 6. Zaheer Abbas
LOL, are these the best they have ever produced ? Shocking. Anwar aside, they are all a bunch of flat-track bullies ! I can wager that not one single batsman from that list would get into an all-time Indian XI !

Re: Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats... ^ Yep and Srinath was ripping thorugh them 8 wkts in the innings IIRC. Saeed vs Sri was some battle then Same match Shoaib announed himself to the world by yorking RD/SRT Back to the topic...Miandad might get in an India all time 11 id think

Yousuf is in the same class as Inzamam, so arguably in their top 3. They both plundered runs in the post milennium era when flat pitches became the norm and each team's bowling attacks weakened as a result of excessive ODI cricket. I'd rate Saeed Anwar as the best Pakistani batsman i've seen - he actually did well in all conditions, not just at home. He also batted superbly in matches against India...that 188 @ Kolkata being the best innings i've ever seen played by a foreigner on Indian soil.
LOL, are these the best they have ever produced ? Shocking. Anwar aside, they are all a bunch of flat-track bullies ! I can wager that not one single batsman from that list would get into an all-time Indian XI !
Almost all batsmen have some weak link in their record e.g even Lara and Sachin haven't performed that hot against the 2 Ws...in fact before this series Lara's highest score in PAK was mere 44 So you don't think Miandad will make in your all-time 11? you'll pick someone like D Vengsarkar over Miandad :roll:

Almost all batsmen have some weak link in their record e.g even Lara and Sachin haven't performed that hot against the 2 Ws...in fact before this series Lara's highest score in PAK was mere 44
Lara hasn't, but you can't say the same for Tendulkar. He only played two series against the two "W's", and was dismissed by them just twice. The first was his debut series in '89, when he averaged 35 and was largely untroubled by either of them. He has averaged much higher than 35 later on in his career but it wasn't bad for a 16 year old ! What does that say about your 2 "W's" ? They couldn't even knock over Tendulkar when he was a 16 year old...laugh.gif Then there was the '99 series, and you probably know all about his 136 @ Chennai. One of the best innings ever played. There has only ever been 1 Pakistani bowler who actually troubled and managed to get the better of him - Saqlain Mushtaq. He owned the rest.
So you don't think Miandad will make in your all-time 11? you'll pick someone like D Vengsarkar over Miandad :roll:
No, because Vengsarkar wouldn't be in my all-time Indian XI. He would easily make it into yours though ! With a test batting average of 42, and 17 hundreds - 6 of them against the might of the West Indians, he would easily be top 5 calibre as a Pakistani...laugh.gif

Re: Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats... I see that you conveniently ignored the fact that it was also Waqar's debut series and all 4 matches in the series were draws which off course means that the pitches were flat! The fact is Sachin's average in the 7 test matches pre 2004 was mere 32..not much better than Inzi's average vs AUS! So here i am not saying that Inzi is anyway near as good as Sachin....all i am saying is that every player has some weakness in his record! Waisay i see that the folks are simply saying that Miandad won't make the all time Indian batting lineup yet they are too shy to tell us who they think will be in the lineup ahead of Miandad

I see that you conveniently ignored the fact that it was also Waqar's debut series and all 4 matches in the series were draws which off course means that the pitches were flat! The fact is Sachin's average in the 7 test matches pre 2004 was mere 32..not much better than Inzi's average vs AUS! S!
Yes, but you claimed that he struggled against the two "W's". He didn't.
Waisay i see that the folks are simply saying that Miandad won't make the all time Indian batting lineup yet they are too shy to tell us who they think will be in the lineup ahead of Miandad
Most would go for Mohinder Amarnath. He was the gutsiest, most fearless batsman of the 1980's and scored runs all over the world, not just in India. An average of 50+ IN the West Indies proves his credentials as an all-time great. Not to mention his matchwinning performances in ODI's - most notably in the FINAL of the World Cup. What was Miyandad's average vs the WI or Australia ? He was just another flat-track bully who scored runs on flat highways (which Lillee rightfully acknowledged as "fast bowlers' graveyards") and under the protective supervision of dodgy home umpires. But I wouldn't go for Amarnath in my all-time XI though. Vijay Hazare is my pick...

Re: Where does Yousuf rate on the list of Pak greats... We are talking about a man who had maintained an average of over 52 in 124 matches so how can someone say that a man with an average of 42(difference of 10 runs over almost half as many matches) is better! and it's not as if Miandad totally failed outside home...he averaged 46 outside PAK so i don't know how you can say that he only did well on flat tracks and with dodgy umpiring! It's also funny that you mentioned Dennis Lillee because he himself called Miandad the best player of his bowling! Your argument about record against the top teams is a bit weird too because there are players who like certain attacks e.g Wasim Raja had an average of over 57 vs WI in WI...so does that mean he is a better batsman than Miandad?

We are talking about a man who had maintained an average of over 52 in 124 matches so how can someone say that a man with an average of 42(difference of 10 runs over almost half as many matches) is better! and it's not as if Miandad totally failed outside home...he averaged 46 outside PAK so i don't know how you can say that he only did well on flat tracks and with dodgy umpiring! It's also funny that you mentioned Dennis Lillee because he himself called Miandad the best player of his bowling! Your argument about record against the top teams is a bit weird too because there are players who like certain attacks e.g Wasim Raja had an average of over 57 vs WI in WI...so does that mean he is a better batsman than Miandad?
Dude, i am not interested in flat-track bullies. Amarnath was undoubtedly a better player for all conditions. His average could have been higher had he received better treatment from the selectors, but overall it's still an excellent record. Miyandad scored heavily in the subcontinent, and the only country outside that region where he held a respectable average was in NZ. They were rubbish back then. You know all about the dodgy umpiring - even Imran Khan admitted that Pakistani umpires were "patriotic" and never dared to give any decisions against the home team. Try to look at the bigger picture.

We are talking about a man who had maintained an average of over 52 in 124 matches so how can someone say that a man with an average of 42(difference of 10 runs over almost half as many matches) is better! and it's not as if Miandad totally failed outside home...he averaged 46 outside PAK so i don't know how you can say that he only did well on flat tracks and with dodgy umpiring! It's also funny that you mentioned Dennis Lillee because he himself called Miandad the best player of his bowling! Your argument about record against the top teams is a bit weird too because there are players who like certain attacks e.g Wasim Raja had an average of over 57 vs WI in WI...so does that mean he is a better batsman than Miandad?
Dude, i am not interested in flat-track bullies. Amarnath was undoubtedly a better player for all conditions. His average could have been higher had he received better treatment from the selectors, but overall it's still an excellent record. Miyandad scored heavily in the subcontinent, and the only country outside that region where he held a respectable average was in NZ. They were rubbish back then. You know all about the dodgy umpiring - even Imran Khan admitted that Pakistani umpires were "patriotic" and never dared to give any decisions against the home team. Try to look at the bigger picture.
No sir...that's not true! Miandad averaged around 47 vs ENG and even in AUS his performance wasn't 'that' bad(average of 38)! You say Miandad averaged 70 odd vs NZ in NZ only because they were rubbish then let me know why M Amarnath only averaged in the mid 30s vs NZ in NZ and why Sunny Gavaskar wasn?t able to average higher than 43? Your point about dodgy umps is only half valid because it was the same all over the world.....Back in 1988 when PAK were on verge of beating WI 2-0 in their backward there were some horrible errors made by the umpires and that allowed WI to level the series 1-1 and only a few years ago that umpire admitted that his decisions during the 3rd test match vs PAK were not genuine mistakes!