[MERGED] Threads on M. Clarke's honesty & behaviour (re. catches/Chris Gayle in CT 06)

DesiChap

I think that Clarke and Ponting and Dhoni and Ganguly etc. genuinely think they have caught the ball. Do you remember when outfielders were trusted to call a 4 if the ball crossed the rope and when the replays started to show some of them touching the rope while trying to stop the ball. The fielders can't really tell, despite Ponting claims that only the fielder really knows. I think only the fielder might know if the ball is grounded, but I dont think they can know if the ball was cleanly caught or not, just as they can't always know if the ball was cleanly fielded or not. The only solution is to leave it to the umpires to make the call and hopefully the ICC will mandate high speed cameras so that some of the doubt can be taken out of the replays. What many posts are forgetting is that their was an agreement before this series to take the fielders word on close catches. As i understand it, most other captains declined this agreement, but it was in place for this series. The umpire then did the right thing by checking with Ponting.

Did he apologise? there was just no way that moron would not have been aware that he has taken that off the pitch! i remember reading the articles on Cricinfo and other media, but am not sure reading anything on this. He has cheated.blatantly. he was in 2 minds before he saw the bowler and other fielders celebrate, he just joined in.cheap .should have been banned. how come Kiwis did not raise an issue?

Still radio silence on Clarke's conduct ! Bravo ! You are indeed a beacon of fairness and objective opinions !.
mm, your sarcasm is not only devoid of humour but meaningless. It's been quite sad observing your once admirable and honourable opinions about the game descend to this level.
What many posts are forgetting is that their was an agreement before this series to take the fielders word on close catches. The umpire then did the right thing by checking with Ponting.
You'll get absolutely nowhere with that line, preemo. :regular_smile: You know how it goes: Never let the truth get in the way of a good story (or a good whinge).

I wish some one makes Clarke watch the video of that "catch" in the NZ one day match and ask his comment. cheating liar told shamelessly after the last day's play in the sydney test, to Times Now correspondent-Sundar iyer-that, "I never walk, i was waiting for the umpire to adjudge". now he is lying that he was shocked.if there was any one who was shocked there, it was Anil Kumble!

23.3Hogg to Hopkins, OUT, and the change has worked, Hopkins flicking up off his legs, Clarke making yards with his dive to take a good, low catch at short backward square GJ Hopkins c Clarke b Hogg 9 (26m 17b 1x4 0x6) SR: 52.94 Hopkins is hesitant in walking off, almost as if Clarke hadn't taken the catch cleanly. I'm standing by for replays, will let you know. There are weather warnings coming in for Tasmania, but any inclement weather has so far held off. Again, I'll keep you in the loop/ Here's Vettori, a battler if ever there was one, but the size of the task may be just too large for him23.4Hogg to Vettori, no run, defended forward 23.5Hogg to Vettori, no run, left alone as that turned outside off Oh dear, replays show Clarke clearly floored the ball before catching it, he may be in for some bad press as a result. Let's move http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ausvnz/engine/current/match/291347.html?innings=2;view=commentary But there was nothing after the match. the cheat escaped. now, v felt the repercussions.

Enough of this nonsense about taking fielders word ..... that is between the players .... once Gangs stood his ground (and did not take Clarkes word) it was upto the umpires to go by the rule book and according to the rule book this is the procedure : --- 3.2.3 Caught Decisions The on-field umpire shall be entitled to refer an appeal for a caught decision to the third umpire in the following circumstances: 3.2.3.1 Clean Catches a Should the bowler’s end umpire be unable to decide whether or not a catch was taken cleanly, he shall first consult with the square leg umpire. b Should both umpires be unable to make a decision, a not out decision shall be given by the bowler’s end umpire. Only if the line of vision of both umpires is obscured shall the bowler’s end umpire be entitled to refer the decision to the third umpire as in Clause 3.2.2 (b). c The third umpire has to determine whether the batsman has been caught. However, when reviewing the television replay(s), if it is clear to the third umpire that the batsman did not hit the ball, he shall indicate that the batsman is not out. d The third umpire shall communicate his decision by the system as in Clause 3.2.2 ©. 3.2.3.2 Bump Ball a Should the bowler’s end umpire be unable to decide whether a catch was taken from a bump ball or not, he shall first consult with the square leg umpire. b Should both on-field umpires be unable to make a decision, the bowler’s end umpire shall be entitled to refer the decision to the third umpire to review a TV replay(s) of the batsman’s stroke as in Clause 3.2.2 (b). c The third umpire has to determine whether the ball was a bump ball or not. However, when reviewing the television replay(s), if it is clear to the third umpire that the batsman did not hit the ball, he shall indicate that the batsmen is not out. d The third umpire shall communicate his decision by the system as in Clause 3.2.2 ©. -- You will find no mention of consulting fielders and taking their words ... http://in.yimg.com/icccricket/pdfs/test_playing_conditions.pdf
The agreement was between the captains. the umpires are no way involved in this. they r paid for adjudicating not for checking with the fielding captain.That is why it was wrong of Benson to ask Ponting , instead of asking the 3rd umpire. By the way, what was the action taken on the 3rd umpire for not adjudging symonds out? unlike the on field umpires, he does not have any excuse. he purely sided with his state guy-Symonds- a fellow queenslander. The 3rd umpire should have been banned for his life for his cheating.there was nothing incompetent about his wrong doing, plain cheating.