[MERGED] Threads on M. Clarke's honesty & behaviour (re. catches/Chris Gayle in CT 06)

DesiChap

M Clarke V Gayle M Clarke allegedly called Gayle a Second Class Citizen.....after which Gayle lost control and Clarke was subdued. Result...Gayle fined 30% Match fee, Clarke went scot free. Umpires did not report immedialtely and Speed was involved. Ponting praised Pup for showing restraint...Gayle says the hearing was unfair as it was done separately.

Hari sampath ...please send this one to kumble.(the video).. I believe he had a talk with clarke and everything is sorted out.Don't let him believe this cheat ever!
I really second that. Plz Hari. I will be really thrilled if some scribe or the indian team rranges a press conference and makes the entire aussie press watch this "catch" and ask them for their opinion about the genuineness of Clarke.Plz.
Guest HariSampath

No need, bcause I am sure Anil is a very smart cookie, and he knows perfectly well what Clarke is trying. Like us, Anil will NOT believe the "disbelief" theory as Clarke can be clearly seen to start his walk away and THEN stop to see if umpire rules notout and he can get away !! This is NOT the batter who thought stood ground in "disbelief", cheat, plain simple...was just trying to see if umpire makes atrocious mistake and if he can get away. Anil called his bluff perfectly in that press conference.

Clarke clears air with Kumble Australian batsman Michael Clarke [images] on Sunday said he spoke to Anil Kumble [images] and sorted out the contentious issues raised by the Indian skipper after the acrimonious Sydney Test. Kumble, in a newspaper column, had criticised Clarke for dishonesty on two counts: first for standing his ground after being clearly caught in the slips when he was yet to open account in Australia's second innings, and the other for claiming a controversial low catch in the slips to remove Sourav Ganguly [images] on the final day of the Test. Citing the two incidents, Kumble had threatened to discontinue with a pre-series agreement between the captains to accept the word of fielders on catches close to the ground. New twist in Harbhajan case "I spoke to Anil and he was actually very supportive and said, 'Mate I understand'," said Clarke, who is being groomed to succeed Ricky Ponting [images] as Australian captain. "We've played a fair bit of cricket against each other and he knows I'm not the type of person to try and harm the game -- that was the last thing I would want, to put the game in jeopardy." Clarke, was adamant that he took a clean catch to dismiss Ganguly but said he was disappointed to be out first ball in Australia's second innings. http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2008/jan/13clarke.htm

No need' date=' bcause I am sure Anil is a very smart cookie, and he knows perfectly well what Clarke is trying. Like us, Anil will NOT believe the "disbelief" theory as Clarke can be clearly seen to start his walk away and THEN stop to see if umpire rules notout and he can get away !! This is NOT the batter who thought stood ground in "disbelief", cheat, plain simple...was just trying to see if umpire makes atrocious mistake and if he can get away. Anil called his bluff perfectly in that press conference.[/quote'] Hari, put in a word with Anil, anyways. I know Kumble's smart enough to know what Clark is doing. But am sure he is unaware of Clarke's past (the catch he claimed vs NZ). It will help the team argue against Clarke more effectively when such a situation presents next time. Negative press on Clarke (when is being considered for captaincy) will be a huge dent in his resume, on that will hurt him where it hurts

Kumble, Ponting to meet in Perth January 12, 2008 ICC [images] Chief Match Referee Ranjan Madugalle has requested rival captains Anil Kumble [images] and Ricky Ponting [images] to be present for a "cool-off" session at Perth on Monday, two days before the third Test begins at the WACA. Complete Coverage: Tour gone sour It is learnt that Kumble and his Australian counterpart Ponting have been asked if they could meet in Perth in order to build bridges over the fractured relationship between the two sides. Kumble had set a conciliatory tone when he had declared on arrival here that he would have no problem in meeting with Ponting at the initiative of Madugalle. Ponting too has softened his approach by declaring in a local newspaper that he would ask his team-mates to assemble in Perth and review a "few things they had done during the Sydney Test." Ponting had also mentioned that he was not happy with his own conduct when he stayed put at the crease in the first innings after being given out. Madugalle has been sent by the ICC with the purpose of getting the two warring captains together and help Match Referee Mike Procter in the discharge of his duties. By all accounts, the next three days in Perth in lead up to the Test are going to be pretty hectic. Not only Madugalle would get the two captains together, the hearing of charge levelled against Australian spinner Brad Hogg [images] by the Indian team is also scheduled in front of Procter. Ponting has called for a meeting of his teammates and Kumble too has announced he would let know fellow India players about the line they should not overstep during the Perth Test. The newspapers here though are convinced that the relationships between the two sides can no longer be smooth.

Guest dada_rocks
M Clarke allegedly called Gayle a Second Class Citizen.....after which Gayle lost control and Clarke was subdued. Result...Gayle fined 30% Match fee, Clarke went scot free. Umpires did not report immedialtely and Speed was involved. Ponting praised Pup for showing restraint...Gayle says the hearing was unfair as it was done separately.
:D If there was a case of racism this was one..

By the way, what was the action taken on the 3rd umpire for not adjudging symonds out? unlike the on field umpires, he does not have any excuse. he purely sided with his state guy-Symonds- a fellow queenslander. The 3rd umpire should have been banned for his life for his cheating.there was nothing incompetent about his wrong doing, plain cheating.

From Cricinfo on Mike Procter's arbitration involving ..-Gayle,Clarke incident in Champions Trophy http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/iccct2006/content/current/story/264109.html Fighting fire with a flame-thrower Fazeer Mohammed October 23, 2006 spacer.gif263616.jpg?alt=1 Chris Gayle ain't happy with Michael Clarke © Getty Images The table tennis ball bounced past, blissfully uncontested, as I was still rejoicing in the magnificence of following through on a fearsome smash, utterly convinced that the point was already mine. "Don't try that again if you not prepared for it to come back," said one of my uncles, a better-than-average table tennis player and cricketer who was using my grandmother's dining table to teach me an important lesson that remains as fresh as the day it occurred more than 30 years ago. Last Wednesday's verbal clash between Chris Gayle and Michael Clarke in Mumbai brought home the relevance of that bit of advice, and also reinforced the belief that when it comes to the concept of "do so ain't like so", Australia's cricketers are the unrivalled world champions. In his tour diary entry on the incident, Gayle inferred that Clarke was the instigator of the confrontation, and while conceding that his protracted tirade against Clarke deserved some form of punishment, it was disappointing to see the man who triggered the whole thing - at least from the Gayle's perspective - get off scot free. It also did not go unnoticed that the match officials made no report of the incident until the next day, by which time Ricky Ponting, the Australian captain, had already passed his judgement in implying that the only way the credibility of the disciplinary process would be upheld was if Gayle was brought to book. Of course, from the moment the matter came within the purview of match referee Mike Procter for investigation, the issue was no longer if Gayle should be disciplined, but what would be the nature of the censure. It was not surprising either that Clarke was absolved. An outstanding allrounder that he was, Procter clearly lacks an even hand in arbitrating matters that involve Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. An outrageous charge you say? Well, what other conclusion is there after his response to journalists' queries that the Aussies were getting away with an abundance of excessive over-appealing in last November's series against West Indies, stating that players from those countries are more aggressive, and that had to be taken into consideration? In other words, there is one rule for those three and another for everyone else. It was heartening to hear Ramnaresh Sarwan - who led the side superbly in the field in the absence of the injured Brian Lara - in his post-match comments alluding to the Gayle-Clarke tete-a-tete and suggesting that players who like to dish out should be prepared to get some back. Sarwan knows only too well how to give back, his instant response to Glenn McGrath's malicious remark on the fourth afternoon of the Antigua Test in 2003 causing McGrath to completely lose his cool. I wonder if John Howard, the Australian Prime Minister, would have been so eager in rallying to the defence of McGrath in the furore that followed the incident if he knew what his compatriot had said in the first place. Every team in every sport, at one time or another, engages in baiting the opposition, winding them up to try and trigger a loss of concentration. But it is more than a little annoying that, having legitimised and institutionalised an underhand practice as "mental disintegration" (the pretentious terminology of former captain Steve Waugh), the Australians recoil in self-righteous indignation when they find themselves on the receiving end. Which is why, in the sporting context, if you want to upset the best in the world, sometimes to have to fight fire with an inferno. The opponent strikes a match, you respond by burning down his house. It is an overreaction, but an overreaction with a purpose - to let him know in terms that he can best understand that you're not taking any foolishness. Lara is a past master at being both an instigator and flame-throwing responder, especially against the Australians, which is why they fear him so. They will always speak in the most glowing terms about Sachin Tendulkar because they think they have his measure as far as beating them off his own bat. But they can't handle Lara, what with the ability to dissect and destruct with his scything blade, while at the same time sallying forth with enough caustic lyrics to keep them on edge. In this context, I'm reminded of Javed Miandad's attempt to test the sweet spot of his bat on Dennis Lillee's head during Pakistan's 1981-82 tour of Australia. Miandad was no doubt saying more than a thing or two to the fiery fast bowler, which was a bit of a reversal for Lillee, who was accustomed to having the last (very strong) word, especially against timid players from the Indian subcontinent. Put off his stride by Miandad, Lillee kicked him on the back of the legs on the way back to the top of his mark. As anyone with any sort of broughtupsy would know, to kick someone, even lightly, is just about the lowest form of degradation towards another human being. It necessitated a strident reaction, and as Miandad drew his blade back in a backlift higher than anything ever managed by Lara, the presiding umpire stepped in to save Lillee from the response he deserved. Do so really ain't like so, and they need to be reminded of that occasionally, even if it costs 30 per cent of a day's pay. -------------------------------------- I liked the article. It explains about the double standard of Mike Procter. This incident was the result of Clarke allegedly calling Gayle , a second class citizen. but Clarke denied it.there was no proof!!! Gayle was fined 30%. but Procter did not even conduct the enquiry with both parties present at a time. Refereed by Procter.We should make a manual of his judgments!