Blunderz u did in your life till date

Cricketics

Why CC? Whats the issue with that?
1. If i'd done that, i'd not be a Canadian citizen today. Being a canadian citizen gives me some pretty good leverage. For eg, i could go to pakistan or China much easier than Indian citizens can ( on visa issues), much lesser restrictions when travelling in Europe & Americas. Plus many other smaller perks to do with this. Plus it doesn't impact my status to India much. As a former citizen and person born in India, i can get a PIO card(i should apply)- which lets me (and in the future, my children) enter & leave India as we please as well as own property there. Basically the only thing i can't do that an Indian citizen can is vote. Whopee facking ding. Considering how much of a joke Indian politics is (or rather, politics in general), its not something i am upset at losing out- i don't care much to cast my vote here either. 2. I am not very impressed by the indian education system. Sure, it rocks in science and literature, but otherwise, it is utterly mediocre in every other field in every which way. I like the education style here better- it gives depth and breadth. For eg, i had to do 6 courses in total for my degree requirement that had nothing to do with engineering. I got to explore a lot more variety of intellectual fields than it'd be possible in IITs. 3. Education here isn't ridiculously intensive- i actually had a pretty vibrant social life in university and did many extra-curricular stuff as well as the usual gamut of 'lafangaa-baazi'. Almost all IIT guys i know of didn't have anywhere close to the kind of social & extracurricular life i had. I mean sure, IIT grads are super at what they do but IMO, its quite serious overkill. I don't need to be a calculus-freak to be an engineer really. (mind you, i am pretty good at that particular topic but not like 'do ridiculously idiotic integral half-awake like IIT-ians) I can just plug it into my maple or MatLab program and it'll do the math for me. And this whole argument of ' well when you are on the field with no compooterz/calculator then its the test of your real mettle' is just ridiculous, especially in my field ( electronics engineering). I mean wtf ! - if computers/calculators didn't exist, my FIELD wouldn't exist in the first place and its pretty ridiculous idea that your office/design lab won't have a computer/calculator handy when you are doing electronics stuff. From what i can tell, IIT isn't cutting edge in engineering tech. either. I had to do coursework dressed inside those contamination-free suites to do microchip fabrication. I've never heard/met anyone from IIT with that kind of hands-on cutting edge experience either. Mostly, i think since IIT is so prestigeous and its entrance exams are ridiculously difficult that only the brightest of minds get into IIT. So its more like the talent pool they draw than the education they impart that makes IIT namebrand so special, IMO.

CC, Detailed writeup...thats great to read. I did not understand the first part. "Canadian citizenship"...what does IIT have to do with it? I mean if u had gone to IIT and gone to Canada after that, you could have still gotten CA citizenship (maybe a bit later)? Regarding the rest, interesting point of view. Fair enough.

Good Point CC The education system is pretty good but only for science and literature and its sucks at everything else. You could do B com just by reading the "Champion". Passing marks are 28% and they give you grace marks to pass you if score anything over 20-22 I think. No wonder every tom dick and Harish is a graduate in India.

EU passport is better :giggle:
Eh, not really- there is no such thing as EU passport - yet. But even then, i'd imagine Canadian passport is a lot less controversial. Most of the world has either not heard of us or think of us as politically-correct 'very nice folks' who say 'eh' a lot. French, British, German etc. passports can get you in pretty hot water in some parts of the world...for Canadian passport, i can't think where it'd make you totally vulnerable.

I did not understand the first part. "Canadian citizenship"...what does IIT have to do with it? I mean if u had gone to IIT and gone to Canada after that, you could have still gotten CA citizenship (maybe a bit later)?
I already had PR status back in 1997, when i was still in highschool in mid-east. My options were to go to India & enter the slog-fest of IIT/slog through insane courseworks for 4-5 yrs, catch a very lucky break and score a job in mid-east/canada or: come to Canada, stay here 3-4 yrs & then apply for citizenship, while i do my education(who's qualities i already mentioned above). Given that i spent only grade8-10 in India (apart from living there when very young and routine yearly visits), it made the choice easier,though by no means an easy one.
I understand they have a point system for Permanent residence, and having a job offer + grad degree pretty much gets you that far.
Dunno about 'education here & then apply' scenarios. But i know if you are in your 30s/40s and you are competent in English (or French, bonus marks for both), its not hard to get PR status, so long as you have a clean police record & hold some sort of technical/business/science degree. 10+ yrs job experience counts for a lot though. After you get here, you are eligible to apply for citizenship status and so long as you pass some basic tests on canadian history, culture & geography and sing the anthem, you are a done deal. The only hitch is if you have are dumb enough to get a criminal record here- then you are pretty hooped.

Good Point CC The education system is pretty good but only for science and literature and its sucks at everything else. You could do B com just by reading the "Champion". Passing marks are 28% and they give you grace marks to pass you if score anything over 20-22 I think. No wonder every tom dick and Harish is a graduate in India.
How easy is it to get Canadian Citizenship ? I understand they have a point system for Permanent residence' date=' and having a job offer + grad degree pretty much gets you that far.[/quote'] Replies to both, I got my Permanent Resident being a BCom from India, but I had a diploma from Switzerland and half-done degree from US too, I was a actually a student that time when I applied forom buffalo, back in 2002 it took me 4 months I became Canadian Citizen within 3 years

Eh' date=' not really- there is no such thing as EU passport - yet. But even then, i'd imagine Canadian passport is a lot less controversial. Most of the world has either not heard of us or think of us as politically-correct 'very nice folks' who say 'eh' a lot. French, British, German etc. passports can get you in pretty hot water in some parts of the world...for Canadian passport, i can't think where it'd make you totally vulnerable.[/quote'] You know what t I meant by EU passport. I can travel, work and live freely anywhere in western Europe. Europe is the place to be for quality of life. Oh! and I would not be seen dead in places where the above mentioned passports would get me in trouble :finger:

Replies to both, I got my Permanent Resident being a BCom from India, but I had a diploma from Switzerland and half-done degree from US too, I was a actually a student that time when I applied forom buffalo, back in 2002 it took me 4 months I became Canadian Citizen within 3 years
I suppose you need to have a job offer if you dont have money to support yourself ? also how is the software job scene in Canada ? I am getting sick of waiting in the GC pool here in the US ....

I suppose you need to have a job offer if you dont have money to support yourself ? also how is the software job scene in Canada ? I am getting sick of waiting in the GC pool here in the US ....
My situation was back in the day, but you really dont need a job offer to apply for a PR, its the point system and if you are a H-1 then things are pretty easy for you IMO, just the time factor S/W scene, , not really in a wide sense but not as big as US. If it helps Microsoft is coming 2kms away next year coz they got sick of H1 quota in US, they will be looking to hire locals and Indians

Software field is pretty good in Canada. Sure,its not as intense as the silicon valley but then again, nowhere is. However, Canada has several heavy-hitters in software industry too. Right here in Vancouver is one of the 'holy grails' of software industry : Electronic Arts. Ottawa is pretty heavy on the software scene too and so is Toronto. Keep in mind- if your intention is to make a $hit load of $$$ and move back to India, Canada is not the place to be. The average high-tech person does well to save 15,000 dollars per year. Your salary will be lower than in the US and you will pay more taxes. But if your intention is to live in the west long term , Canada is a helluva lot better to LIVE in than US is. For one, we have far less violent crimes than the US. Public works is far better here too- healthcare is public ( which means you gotto wait a long time to get $hit done but its top notch and almost free), the public transportation scene in Canadian cities make a laughing stock out of the US cities and education at all levels up to and including Undergrad is of both higher quality and far more affordable.

You know what t I meant by EU passport. I can travel' date=' work and live freely anywhere in western Europe. Europe is the place to be for quality of life. Oh! and I would not be seen dead in places where the above mentioned passports would get me in trouble :finger:[/quote'] Yeah true, Europe has a better quality of life IMO and it was awesome to live there for a while but i still prefer Canada. Canadian passport is nearly the same as EU passport (with so many open borders between EU states agreements, travelling is not an issue anyways and Canadian passport has zero issues getting a visa, ie,matter of formality, if we want to travel to most of Europe). I think the only places where being a western European passport holder would count for more are some of these newer EU member east-european states like Ukraine/Poland etc. Those nations are bound by EU regulations to give you folks a pretty easy time but still kind of suffer from the cold-war mentality and think of us as 'US lackeys'(which we are really). But even then, its a matter of inconvinience ( ie, plan ahead if you want to go there, like apply for visa several months ahead of time) rather than saying ' I am a brit' in Zimbabwe and hacked to pieces or saying ' I am French' in most of Algeria, etc. Its pretty much (alongside maybe New Zealand) the most non-controversial yet top brand passport out there, in terms of convinience. And really, this is a pretty awesome place to live as well. Its one of the most multicultural countries in the world and in terms of acess to multicultural environment, its far better than India too ( i mean sure, India is hugely multicultural but apart from maybe Mumbai & Delhi, you don't find much multicultural interaction.) Plus Canada's record with human rights & social integration is pretty spotless/distinctly the milder option of its times. For eg., having lived here & in Britain plus visiting States, i can easily say that you are FAR LESS likely to encounter racism in Canada than in either of those two nations. And the funny thing is, by and large, its the desis and chinese here who are more racist than the white folks ( there is still the oddball desi punjabi etc. father shooting his daughter because she went out with a white guy/muslim guy kind of stuff). But yeah, all in all, i am pretty impressed with Canada- its a pretty awesome place to live and so far, Canadian currency is pretty valuable in Indian rupees terms ( i think it trades at 38-40 rupees per Canuck dollar) so if you want to or have reasons to keep regular contact with India alive ( i do, for example), it is a pretty good bargain, so long as you arn't mired into 10-15 bucks/hr jobs.

I would agree. Also depends on your experience. A 30 year old virgin with no real life experience ( lives off and with mama papa) would be useless compared to a 26 year old independent guy with tons of experience.
Two things here GKD. a) Who lives with his/her parents when he/she is 25 plus? Okay if someone reading this is indeed staying with his/her parents you have my respect et all but I am curious. b) "Exprience" is highly overrated. There is no need of experience. I am assuming you are talking of sex here since you mentioned virginity. Experience is all in the mind. If you take time, dont rush things and care for your partner you would excel. It doesnt matter if you have been with 1 or 21. xxx

Who lives with his/her parents when he/she is 25 plus? Okay if someone reading this is indeed staying with his/her parents you have my respect et all but I am curious.
Many many people do and even here in the west. Its rarer amongst Indians these days for those who are well educated (job almost always means relocation somwhere else in the city/country) but fairly prevalent too. And IMO, its not the living with the parents equalling 'lack of experience' factor that Gai is referring to. Its the kind of parents you have- if they are too interfering & controlling, yes, it sucks to be you. But many parents (particularly western parents) are intensely aware of this independence to their children, even when they are all under the same roof. Many of my friends here in their early/mid 20s still live with their parents. Only difference with desi parents is, their parents dont blow the roof down when their son/daughter brings home their boyfriend/girlfriend and locks the door to their room. Or get into the whole 'where are you going? with whom ? when shall you get back?' routine like desi parents do. I was lucky that my parents were the 'rare indian breed' where they gave me fair amounts of privacy and independence.
. I am assuming you are talking of sex here since you mentioned virginity. Experience is all in the mind. If you take time, dont rush things and care for your partner you would excel. It doesnt matter if you have been with 1 or 21.
Its not so much a question of sexual proficiency as it is a question of managing/dealing with a sexual relationship. Whether it upsets your sensibilities or not, fact is, sexuality is a key component in marriage/sexual relationships and its not that experience inside the bedroom matters- its more like experience dealing with the relationship outside the bedroom where experience matters IMO.

Guest dada_rocks
Two things here GKD. a) Who lives with his/her parents when he/she is 25 plus? Okay if someone reading this is indeed staying with his/her parents you have my respect et all but I am curious. I didn't expect this from you. This is western crap.. In India if u are living in same city and away from parents then people talk and it's considered bad. I have been living away since 7th standard but if given the option and when they retire it's invariably going to be parents living together with me or my brother. b) "Exprience" is highly overrated. There is no need of experience. I am assuming you are talking of sex here since you mentioned virginity. Experience is all in the mind. If you take time, dont rush things and care for your partner you would excel. It doesnt matter if you have been with 1 or 21. I am not experienced enough to comment on this. :D xxx

Pay 40 lakh and buy canadian citizenship.. it's cheap
40 Lakh may seem cheap to you and me now, but it is definitely not 'cheap' for most Indians living in India, including very well educated ones. Easier route is the points based system qualification. You basically need 4 lakhs to do it (basically, Canadian govt. wants you to show enough funds so that you can come to Canada and live decently for atleast a few months and have money to go back atleast once just so that you don't show up completely broke and end up being a pain in the a$$).

I didn't expect this from you. This is western crap.. In India if u are living in same city and away from parents then people talk and it's considered bad. I have been living away since 7th standard but if given the option and when they retire it's invariably going to be parents living together with me or my brother.
Phir wahi! Arre issiliye kahta hoon ke pahle ek baar pooch to lo before you go all mental! Living with parents is a way of saying that a guy/girl has NEVER been away from his parents. This should rule out bulk of Indians I think. For example, it should rule out every student who has done his study in hostel of any kind(which should be true for most Engg/Medical students really). It should rule out anyone who started job in a city away from his ancestral home. The point that GKD was making was that a man should have real life experience on his own, and not towing the lines of parents. xxx