Blunderz u did in your life till date

Cricketics

(which should be true for most Engg/Medical students really)
I don't know about rest of India but in west bengal atleast, thats not the case. Many, if not the largest chunk of students are from Kolkata households and attend university from 'stay-at-home' basis. Same is true in most Canadian big cities. IMO, this is a classic case of 'big city university vs small city university' that is pretty much true everywhere i've seen. I can imagine that many/most who went to IIT Kharagpur for eg. would hold this view. Here (as well as in India) i see most universities in big cities have a sizeable 'stay-at-home' student population who are basically students from the same household in the city. Whereas in small towns, i think the 'native town' population is nowhere big enough to supply a lot of higher studies students and the university as a result houses mostly students who come from far away ( different cities/states/countries, etc). Mind you, there are always a lot of 'students from outside the immediate city' in most universities but i am talking in terms of the largest 'demographic group' here.

I was lucky that my parents were the 'rare indian breed' where they gave me fair amounts of privacy and independence.
Yes, its the independence and privacy that parents should learn to afford to their children. Its one of the reasons why many of us have turned out to be ok, thanks to our parents offering us the room for independent thinking and behavior (within some reasonable boundaries ofcourse).

(within some reasonable boundaries ofcourse)
My boundaries were simple - if i did well in school, i could have a lot of time off to do as i felt. If not, then dad/mom would 'supervise' homework for hours. I could disappear for a day(extended to over a weekend in my mid-late teens) without much restrictions, so long as i called to inform them where i was going. With respect to girls, neither mom nor dad intruded much- they were utterly cool with me having friends who were girls and we spent time together. As for having girlfriends, my parents never intruded either- they have fair amounts of trust on my sense of responsibility there.I rarely saw such relaxed and accomodating boundaries in desi and bangladeshi families- almost never(save for one exception case) in Pakistani families and (strangely enough) with much more frequency amongst Sri Lankans and ofcourse, western, folks.

Guest dada_rocks
40 Lakh may seem cheap to you and me now, but it is definitely not 'cheap' for most Indians living in India, including very well educated ones. Easier route is the points based system qualification. You basically need 4 lakhs to do it (basically, Canadian govt. wants you to show enough funds so that you can come to Canada and live decently for atleast a few months and have money to go back atleast once just so that you don't show up completely broke and end up being a pain in the a$$).
Nahin mere liye abhi bhi mehanga hai 40 after all I am poor iit grad didn't get to go to saskachun or victoria university:hysterical:

I don't know about rest of India but in west bengal atleast' date=' thats not the case. [/quote'] I can see what you mean by that but I am not sure if what you are suggesting is indeed true for most people. Yes cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta etc would always have that "problem" where local populace can very well get the education right there without travelling to a different city. Still the way Indian Education system is structured it is more common to see students studying away than at home. In my college for example(in Jamshedpur) there was a batch strength of 250 or so and about 10 of them were local students. I would think that would be true for most institutes in the country. If you take that further I would say it would be even rare for a person to be born, educated and finally getting a job in the very same town. For most of us we were born at one place, got education some place else and started job at a totally different place. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
Phir wahi! Arre issiliye kahta hoon ke pahle ek baar pooch to lo before you go all mental! Living with parents is a way of saying that a guy/girl has NEVER been away from his parents. This should rule out bulk of Indians I think. For example, it should rule out every student who has done his study in hostel of any kind(which should be true for most Engg/Medical students really). It should rule out anyone who started job in a city away from his ancestral home. The point that GKD was making was that a man should have real life experience on his own, and not toeing the lines of parents. xxx
Chalo phir sahi hai I had inkling there is communication gap on this count.. lakh burai ho par ak bihari parents ke sath rahne ko heya dristi se nahin dekhk sakta :two_thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks
as a chaprasi ? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Guru tum isko bahut zaleel kar rahe ho aajkal :two_thumbs_up::hysterical:

Guest dada_rocks
Biggest blunder : getting engaged at the age of 20 biggest 'near' blunder : considered going back to India ( i was in mid-east at that time) to go to IIT Kharagpur..GLAD i did not!
Picnin pe jana tha kya campus dekhane:hysterical: Bol to aise raho ho jaise iit kharagpur koi university of british columbia ya victoria ho:D

lakh burai ho par ak bihari parents ke sath rahne ko heya dristi se nahin dekhk sakta
Bihari will stick with his parents because inherently Bihari is a vagabond. For whatever reasons today a Bihari will travel hundreds of miles to study. Delhi, for example, has been buzzing with Bihari students for atleast 2 decades. Once he gets his education, finishes his Entrance Exams he will pick a job, which most likely would be again away from his hometown. All this experience typically forms him his own view of life. And that view of life is not thrust upon him by his parents(or anyone else). More often than not he will try to have his parents stay with him. The reason is simple - In the end every near/dear/hot/cold girlfriend/boyfriend shall leave you but the people who will always give you unconditional love is family/parents. This maybe true for most Indians as well.

Guest dada_rocks
Bihari will stick with his parents because inherently Bihari is a vagabond. For whatever reasons today a Bihari will travel hundreds of miles to study. Delhi, for example, has been buzzing with Bihari students for atleast 2 decades. Once he gets his education, finishes his Entrance Exams he will pick a job, which most likely would be again away from his hometown. All this experience typically forms him his own view of life. And that view of life is not thrust upon him by his parents(or anyone else). More often than not he will try to have his parents stay with him. The reason is simple - In the end every near/dear/hot/cold girlfriend/boyfriend shall leave you but the people who will always give you unconditional love is family/parents. This maybe true for most Indians as well.
:two_thumbs_up:..

Two things here GKD. a) Who lives with his/her parents when he/she is 25 plus? Okay if someone reading this is indeed staying with his/her parents you have my respect et all but I am curious. b) "Exprience" is highly overrated. There is no need of experience. I am assuming you are talking of sex here since you mentioned virginity. Experience is all in the mind. If you take time, dont rush things and care for your partner you would excel. It doesnt matter if you have been with 1 or 21. xxx
I do, circumstantial and various reasons

university of british columbia
:haha::haha::haha: Mate, tell me where UBC ranks in international surveys and where IIT ranks. Anyways, my choice wasn't strictly a career choice, it was a lifestyle decision. Like i said, i have no desire to go to a university that leaves me with little/no free time, teaching me stuff way too irrelevant for me to realistically use.

Anyways, my choice wasn't strictly a career choice, it was a lifestyle decision. Like i said, i have no desire to go to a university that leaves me with little/no free time, teaching me stuff way too irrelevant for me to realistically use.
Not to mention that it was perhaps better for an Indian as well. I mean whats the big deal in studying from IIT Kharagpur(or Kanpur) when you have to end up in West anyway? If ending in West is the goal then maybe studying in the West is a much better start. You learn of the society where you are gonna end up as also dont hold onto an Indian seat. By the by I never made it to IIT. Pretty sure ke screening mein hi fail ho gaya tha! :eyedance:

If ending in West is the goal then maybe studying in the West is a much better start.
Ofcourse that is another factor. Fact remains, with my SFU degree, i can get far better and far more variety of jobs than an IIT-ian with similar experience ( ie, a few years). Worse, when you are fresh out of university, the western university nametag carries a far higher brand value than IIT does if you want to live in the west.
You learn of the society where you are gonna end up as also dont hold onto an Indian seat.
Precisely.

Guest dada_rocks
:haha::haha::haha: Mate, tell me where UBC ranks in international surveys and where IIT ranks. Anyways, my choice wasn't strictly a career choice, it was a lifestyle decision. Like i said, i have no desire to go to a university that leaves me with little/no free time, teaching me stuff way too irrelevant for me to realistically use.
All I know is one just ha to show up to get admitted to those crappy UBC simor fraser yada yada.. :haha:

Guest dada_rocks

SO simor fraser not even UBC not even university of toronto or university of water loo or macgill.... My advice keep uself cinfied to canadian uuniversities iit khadgapur may be the least favs among iits still for u dreams sud be just to visit as a temple and have some awed dekho:haha:

Just to clear what I meant. Although CC did a good job. Home boy- A big kid who lives at home. Has no personality of his own but just a reflection of his mama papa ki personality. Yes papa no mama kind of guy. Spoilt rotten and wrapped in cotton wool by mama and papa. I have seen first hand how when such men get married the wife gets shafted :haha: No not just by the husband but by mama and papa as well :hysterical: Same happens to men who marry a girl from an overbearing family. Experience- I did not mean that one has to be a Casanova. Just some decent experience with the opposite sex. It's not all about shafting either. Just because I shafted a lot does not mean I actually recommend it as the right way. Critical thinking and real world experience with the opposite sex is very important. Let's be honest most Indian men marry the first person they have a semi serious relationship with. Grown up adults get tied to the most solid looking pole (khamba) like a cow when it comes to marriage. Interesting thing is that they have been programmed so well by society and mama papa that they think it's a virtue getting into arranged marriage :hysterical: Sorry for ruffling feathers but that is my personal view and you are all free to reject it. P.S- You could live at home and still be independent minded. So of course there are exceptions to the rule. Like Rajeev even I could have ended up living at home if some things did not go my way. I am not talking about such men. Rajeev from all your dhamakas it's clear that you are not the type of man I am referring to :D Things are starting to change and I like that. Grown ups should make their own mistakes!

..LOL, from a forum pov.no one has a clue. Likewise, anyone declares to be whatever they want behind a blind forum, it's easy to be deceptive Like I said, there are various reasons you do that but apart from all, my folks are more important than anybody

All I know is one just ha to show up to get admitted to those crappy UBC simor fraser yada yada.. :haha:
And yet, all those universities are ranked higher than IITs.
SO simor fraser not even UBC not even university of toronto or university of water loo or macgill....
Yeah...SFU...top two of the most comprehensive universities in Canada and (after Waterloo) the best technical institution.
My advice keep uself cinfied to canadian uuniversities iit khadgapur may be the least favs among iits still for u dreams sud be just to visit as a temple and have some awed dekho
As i said before, IIT education curriculum does not impress me. I had to do more high tech stuff in 3rd year than IIT grads do till like 2-3 years INTO working.