Will education make world a safer place ?

gattaca

On May 25, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Muloghonto said:

Education CAN make a huge difference. It is the reason i went from being an initiated Brahmin to being an atheist. 
However, education doesn't mean accumulating employable skills. You can get a PhD in math or physics, yet never know the philosophy of scientific process or critical thinking process.

It is the latter that is the cure for religious fanaticism, because it is how you learn what is empiricism, logic, evidence, etc. 
If we educate people from a young age on the philosophy of science, rationalism and empiricism, it will play a big role in decreasing fanaticism, because it teaches one how to differentiate between fact and fiction. 

The problem with all these guys is not education they are educated and learn logic, rationalism in schools in the west. The problem is conditions they live in.

On 2017-5-25 at 5:46 PM, gattaca said:

But philosophical education is usually what you get in good schools in the west too. I believe they are good but seems people are turning the other way and doing bad things. I agree we need more people like that who question. There was an interesting thing I was reading about a Christian preacher why does God punish people. This applies to all religions. 

More than philosophers I was referring to spiritually pure people, we may have great philosophers today in west but that doesn't necessarily mean they're spiritually wise. A classic case we see today is that how the virtue of non-violence is seen as an insignificant one, just like in America there is trend of alpha-beta male thing, where the alpha guy is admired (masculine, aggressive and woman chaser) while the beta guy is mocked (virtuous and peace loving). When we have such societal norms, how will the world understand peace?

On 5/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, Muloghonto said:

Education CAN make a huge difference. It is the reason i went from being an initiated Brahmin to being an atheist. 
However, education doesn't mean accumulating employable skills. You can get a PhD in math or physics, yet never know the philosophy of scientific process or critical thinking process.

It is the latter that is the cure for religious fanaticism, because it is how you learn what is empiricism, logic, evidence, etc. 
If we educate people from a young age on the philosophy of science, rationalism and empiricism, it will play a big role in decreasing fanaticism, because it teaches one how to differentiate between fact and fiction. 

Just as important is economic upliftment and opportunities to work.  Nations must invest in development for all people.  When youth, even ones with mediocre ability, find jobs that pay living wages, violence will be minimized.