Dravid: One just feels different at No. 3

DesiChap

Dravid: One just feels different at No. 3 - The cricket was played in very good spirit, says former Team India captain LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI

Perth: For a change, Rahul Dravid lived up to his reputation of being Team India’s Wall. Sadly, he threw it all away when a mere seven shy of what would’ve been his 25th Test hundred. The former captain took questions from the media in general after stumps on the opening day of the third Test and, later, briefly spoke to The Telegraph. The following are excerpts On returning to a familiar position — No. 3 Yes I’m pretty familiar with the position I batted in today... Also, the openers gave a good start... They got 50-plus and that makes a difference... They took a few chances, but runs on the board matter... Gives a psychological advantage. On getting his highest score of the series at No. 3 It’s because of a combination of factors... I wouldn’t attribute my scoring runs to just the position... I had to work hard, battle almost through the day... Because of the pace and bounce, the ball came on to the bat... That’s something I like... The feet have been moving well... Hopefully, I can keep going in the same manner. Having said that, I’ve done well and done badly at No. 3... On the difference between opening and batting at No. 3 It’s hard to explain... Don’t know... I haven’t got to the bottom of it... I’ve never done well as an opener... One just feels different at No. 3. On coming to terms with the poor shot on 93 I’ve played such a shot earlier... The ball was tossed up... It looks good when you time it, otherwise it looks silly... I’m disappointed, especially as I played it towards the end of the day when the second new-ball would’ve been taken. On whether V.V.S. Laxman and he feel they gave it away It’s a fine line between being positive and... The shots do come off a lot of times... We’ve discussed trying to have a positive mindset... People had been accusing us of being negative... Sometimes, in being positive, you do make a few mistakes... We’re disappointed, but there’s a lot of cricket left in the Test. On having spoken to the Australians and the umpires shortly before getting out It’s not that I was getting frustrated... I just made the point that I needed to look up (and get the breath back) as they were coming in very quickly... They were trying to push the over-rate, which was fine, but you’ve got to give the batsmen a bit of time... It was fine after that... It wasn’t an issue. On whether he noticed anything different in the Australians’ demeanour They played tough, like they do... They ran in hard through the day... Were competitive... Indeed, the cricket was played in very good spirit. On whether, at the start of the day, the team would’ve settled for 297 for six at stumps We would’ve taken 300 for four, that would’ve made us really happy... But we can take the positives... There were some good performances through the day with the batsmen showing character... We’ve got some batting left and, hopefully, the lower order can contribute and we get to 400. On whether he’d expected more overs from Shaun Tait Well, he bowled fast and bowled quite well in spells, but (Brett) Lee was the standout bowler. On Lee having a terrific summer He’s improving all the time... The first time I played him was in 1999-00... He was quick... He wasn’t at the top of his form on our last tour (2003-04) but, in the last year or so, he has really improved... He still has the pace, but bowls in the right areas and gets you to play... He’s at the top of his game and, yes, it’s a challenge facing him... On the Waca surface It’s a good cricket wicket... The ball comes on to the bat and there’s something for the fast bowler who bends his back... It’s quicker than what we got in the first two Tests... Bounce and pace is good from a batting perspective too as it opens up scoring options. Certainly, from my point of view, I’d much rather play all round the wicket than on low and slow surfaces where much of the back foot game is ruled out. On whether the team will miss Harbhajan Singh, who got dropped, in the fourth innings It’s quite hot and let’s see how it pans out... The cracks could open and even the fast bowlers could be quite dangerous in the fourth innings... On Sachin Tendulkar’s dismissal, a poor decision by Asad Rauf I don’t want to comment... Everyone’s seen it. On consultant (and coach-designate) Gary Kirsten having spent much time with him at nets the other day He did, but wasn’t working on anything specific. Finally, on the difference somebody as experienced as Kirsten could make He could, but he’s just come in...

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080117/jsp/sports/story_8792761.jsp

Dravid made a HUGE compromise in agreeing to open so that Yuvraj could open. His stature in the team is so big that he could have simply refused and no one would have raised a syllable in opposition. Yet, he took on the opening mantle and acceded just so that Yuvraj could be included. What a player, What a Man !