Sreesanth, Munaf have to prove fitness at NCA: BCCI

kabira

Fit ? Are you guys kidding ? Thats a pretty serious injury he has suffered, it will take quite a while before he recovers. I remember reading sometime ago that Sreesanth was saying in the media he feeling perfectly ok, he has begun to lift some weights and even started bowling in the nets. That maybe enough to carry drinks on to the field, but its no way convincing enough for him to be included in the team after a major injury. Sreesanth has to play a few matches and show to us all that he is fit. Just mere words wont do. If he included out of haste, it will be a disaster,something like what happened to Shoaib in the Ind series.

Sreesanth back for new bout Sreesanth back for new bout Alex Brown January 14, 2008 ANDREW SYMONDS'S foes could increase as the summer progresses, with old sparring partner Shantha Sreesanth declaring his availability for the one-day series. Symonds and Sreesanth locked horns several times during Australia's one-day tour of India last year, and the combative paceman is confident he will return to fitness in time for the triangular limited-overs tournament in Australia. Under orders from his board, Sreesanth did not comment on the confrontation between Symonds and Harbhajan Singh in the Sydney Test. But he did reveal his displeasure at Ricky Ponting's remonstrations with Sourav Ganguly during the match, after the latter stood his ground following Michael Clarke's contentious second-innings catch in the slips. "It is not up to players to make the decisions, so it was OK for [Ganguly] to wait for the umpire," Sreesanth told the Herald. "What Ponting did was not right. He knows it is up to the umpire. Before you point the finger, you should know there are four fingers pointed back at you." As for his own series prospects, Sreesanth declared his injured shoulder fully recovered and ready to withstand the rigours of the hectic triangular one-day format in Australia next month. Though careful not to single out Symonds, Sreesanth said he was looking forward to resuming his duel with the Australians. "I am not scared of anybody, and I am hoping to show that in Australia," he said. "When I am playing my best cricket, I don't really care who the batsman is. It is my dream to play in Australia, and I hope God will allow me to do that. I am ready to play. I am heading to Mumbai and I will play a match for my company team. With a few games, I will be ready for the one-dayers." And what of a recent report suggesting boxing promoter Angelo Hyder was interested in staging a bout between himself and Symonds? "I would need the powers of the Spiderman," Sreesanth quipped, "if you put me in the ring with him, and I don't think I would be much of a chance." ■ The International Cricket Council concedes it has placed added pressure on the shoulders of replacement umpire Billy Bowden, but insists it had no choice but to stand down Steve Bucknor after his lamentable performance in the Sydney Test. Dave Richardson, the ICC's operations manager, said the decision to remove Bucknor from the Perth Test was not tantamount to the council caving in to the demands of the powerful Board of Control for Cricket in India, but was made to relieve the pressure on the Jamaican official. "Given the controversies surrounding this series, you could say there was a little extra pressure, but this is a clean slate now," Richardson said from Dubai. "I would be concerned about the precedent set if this decision was made because of the complaints of a team. But it was made in the best interests of the game, and we reserve the right to change umpiring appointments from time to time, if the situation warrants it." Bowden wouldn't comment on his appointment yesterday. http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/sreesanth-back-for-new-bout/2008/01/13/1200159279108.html

Sreesanth claims he is fit for One-day series PTI MELBOURNE, January 14: Paceman S Sreesanth on Monday claimed he has recovered fully from a shoulder injury and was confident of playing in the triangular limited overs tournament, also involving Sri Lanka, which follows the India-Australia Test series. The Kerala bowler is confident that with a few matches under his belt, he would be fully prepared for the hectic One-day series. "It is my dream to play in Australia, and I hope God will allow me to do that. I am ready to play," he was quoted as saying by 'Sydney Morning Herald'. "I am heading to Mumbai and I will play a match for my company team. With a few games, I will be ready for the One-dayers," Sreesanth said. The bowler had a much talked about confrontation with Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds during the One-day series in India last year, but did single out the burly Queenslander for special attention. "I am not scared of anybody, and I am hoping to show that in Australia. When I am playing my best cricket, I don't really care who the batsman is," Sreesanth said. He has had an eye on the controversy-marred Sydney Test and conveyed his displeasure in the manner in which Sourav Ganguly was given out in the second innings off a contentious catch by Michael Clarke after captain Ricky Ponting indicated to the umpire that the ball carried to the slips on the full. "It is not up to players to make the decisions, so it was OK (for Ganguly) to wait for the umpire," Sreesanth said. "What Ponting did was not right. He knows it is up to the umpire. Before you point the finger, you should know there are four fingers pointed back at you." http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Sreesanth_claims_he_is_fit_for_One-day_series/articleshow/2698245.cms

Not aware of Sree recovery, says Shah Calcutta: Even as an Australian daily claimed that Sreesanth had recovered fully from a shoulder injury and will play in the upcoming triangular series, the Indian Board on Monday said they were unaware of the development, says A Staff Reporter. Rubbishing the report, the BCCI secretary, Niranjan Shah, quipped that Sreesanth might have given his fitness certificate to the Australian board. “We’re not aware of any such development that he’s recovered… He’s still training at the NCA in Bangalore,” Shah said. The triangular series, which will commence on February 1, involves Australia, India and Sri Lanka. “It is my dream to play in Australia, and I hope God will allow me to do that. I am ready to play,” he was quoted as saying by the newspaper. “I am heading to Mumbai and I will play a match for my company team. With a few games, I will be ready for the one-dayers,” Sreesanth as quoted saying by the Aussie daily. Lanka squad Colombo: Sri Lanka have picked six fast bowlers in a 15-man squad for next month’s tri-series in Australia which also involves India. Chaminda Vaas leads the pace attack with support from Lasith Malinga, Farveez Mahroof, Chanaka Welegedara, Nuwan Kulasekera and Ishara Amerasinghe. Dilhara Fernando is not available after undergoing an ankle operation in December. Sri Lanka leave for Australia on January 24 and will play two warm-up games against the Prime Minister’s XI on January 30 and against Tasmania on February 2. Their first tri-series game is against India in Brisbane on February 5. THE SQUAD Mahela Jayawardene (captain), Kumar Sangakkara (wicketkeeper), Sanath Jayasuriya, Upul Tharanga, Dilruwan Perera, Tillekeratne Dilshan, Chamara Silva, Chamara Kapugedera, Chanaka Welegedara, Chaminda Vaas, Lasith Malinga, Nuwan Kulasekera, Muttiah Muralidharan, Farveez Mahroof, Ishara Amerasinghe. IPL TV rights New Delhi: The Indian cricket board’s official Twenty20 League (IPL) has secured a 10-year rights contract worth more than $1 billion ahead of its launch in April, organisers said on Monday. Sony Entertainment, a division of Japan’s Sony Corp., and the Asia-based World Sports Group (WSG) are behind the deal. Television rights were worth $918 million, with another $100 million bid for the league’s promotion. Match shifted Dubai: Cricket’s world governing body has moved Kenya’s Intercontinental Cup match against Namibia from Nairobi to Sharjah because of continued post-election violence which has claimed 575 lives. The match will take place January 29-February 1 in the United Arab Emirates city. It is part of the International Cricket Council’s second tier competition below the ranks of Test playing nations.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080115/jsp/sports/story_8784375.jsp

I didn't use a phone for 23 days: SreeSanth Features I didn't use a phone for 23 days: Sree Santh TNN / Derek Abraham MUMBAI, January 16: Thomas Edison once said, "Success is 99 per cent perspiration and only 1per cent inspiration". Sree Santh, out of the Indian team due to injury, is certainly back in business. And it is this mantra of hard work, focus and sheer perseverance that has enabled him to attain match fitness. He is fit, fine and "raring to go". The strike bowler turned out for his employers BPCL against Indian Oil Corporation at Parsee Gymkhana on Wednesday. The jovial Kerala pacer, who underwent Ayurvedic treatment at Coimbatore, narrated his routine during the 23 days he spent in rehabilitation: 4.30 am: Wake up, Suryanamaskaram; 6.00 am: Yogic exercises including meditation; 8.00 am: Breakfast (idli, dosa or pongal); 10.00 am: Adhere to fitness manual prescribed by Team India physio John Gloster; 1.00 pm: Lunch; 1.30 pm to 5.00 pm:Rest; 5.30 pm: Massages with various medicated oils; 7.00 pm: Exercise; 8.00 pm: Supper; 9.30 pm: Lights off Talking about the treatment and its methods, a rejuvenated Sree Santh said: "Massage with the use of medicated oils isn’t like having a tablet. The latter only curbs the growth of a virus. Ayurveda is sensational. I could feel the oil going through my skin. I used to get a healing sensation every time they used those herbs on me." Believe it or not, Sree Santh did not even attend a call for over three weeks. "My parents were there and made sure I was focussed. For someone like me, not using one for 23 days was difficult, but not impossible. I didn’t even watch TV during this period," he said. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/I_didnt_use_a_phone_for_23_days_Sree/articleshow/2706109.cms