Laxman: Always had faith in those coming down the order

DesiChap

Laxman: Always had faith in those coming down the order LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI19mahi.jpg

Perth: Thanks to V.V.S. Laxman’s quality 79, under pressure, Team India could reach 294 in the second innings of the fascinating third Test at the Waca. After stumps on Friday (Day III), Laxman had a Q&A session at the Waca itself and, briefly, spoke to The Telegraph at the Hyatt Regency. The following are excerpts On the state of the Test The Australians will be under a lot of pressure tomorrow (Saturday)... The way our bowlers bowled today, getting the remaining 348 won’t be easy... On scripting telling knocks in the second innings It’s not about second or first... Fact is that I enjoy challenges, whether it’s for India, South Zone or Hyderabad... Whenever the team is under pressure, the situation brings the best out of me... The satisfaction is more when I perform in such situations, more than when I get hundreds. On whether, having thrown it away in the first innings (after scoring 27), he was more determined not to give anything away in the second Well, yes, but I wasn’t thinking of the first innings this afternoon... On where would he rate his innings of 79 As one of my best... More than individual performances, if we win tomorrow, then that will be a great moment for all of us... However, instead of the result, I think all the boys will be focusing on the process. On whether, with the help of the lower order, he’d expected to take the score from 125 for five to 294 When I went in to bat (at No. 7), I didn’t look at the bigger picture... The only thing that was on my mind was to build partnerships... Irfan (Pathan) and I put together an important partnership and, then, I had one with (Mahendra Singh) Dhoni and RP (Singh)... My partnership with Irfan was critical and helped bring the momentum back in our favour. On his thoughts when the sixth wicket (Pathan’s) fell at 160 The target was to get Australia to chase more than 400... That would challenge Australia psychologically too. On the support he received from Dhoni and RP Dhoni played a very mature innings... In the last six-seven months he’s played some really good knocks for the country, especially in the second innings at Lord’s... He hung in there instead of playing in his free style... Dhoni played for the team and according to the situation... RP’s effort was really commendable... He showed amazing determination. On whether it was a conscious decision that RP would be shielded from Brett Lee (Smiles) Yes... RP was comfortable facing Shaun Tait and Stuart Clark... I’ve always had faith in our lower order... The way RP played today and the way Ishant (Sharma) batted in Sydney... On batting with the tail One has to go by the situation... One also has to take the partner into account... As I’ve said, I’ve always had faith in those coming down the order. On whether the pressure eased when Ricky Ponting introduced spin by way of Michael Clarke and Andrew Symonds I’m sure Ponting had a strategy and there was bounce when Clarke bowled... The strategy didn’t pay off, though. On Lee He’s bowling in wicket-taking areas and is high on confidence. On Tait, who was to have been an impact bowler I think he bowled well... Sometimes, the plans of the captains go haywire... On the role that awaits Anil Kumble He’ll have a very important role tomorrow... Anil bowled just one over this evening, but one could see the extra bounce he generated. On the need for our bowlers not to get carried away

19rudra.jpg

(Bowling coach) Venkatesh Prasad has been working on that and, then, we’ve got a mature captain in Anil... I’m sure our bowlers can take the pressure (of bowling out Australia)... They’ve matured as this tour has progressed. On Pathan’s all-round contribution He’s having a great Test... He’s been outstanding. On the state of the wicket Three or four length-balls kept a little low, but that won’t worry batsmen. Finally, whether he’s hurt at not getting the attention which most of the other senior pros have been receiving (Grins) No... I’ve never thought on those lines... I just do my job to the best of my ability.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080119/jsp/sports/story_8801425.jsp

i would say it was a good work by vvs, coz i saw him walking up to the rp after every two-three balls and keep talking to him to give him some confidence. he even walked up to him whenever he got carried away so full credit to vvs with taking no credits away from rp. he batted like an allrounder. few swing and miss but thats ok. 10 on 10 for a tail-ender to bat like this.

the way clark and lee were bowling and getting wickets... i certainly never had any hope with lower order.. dhoni-lax p'ship helped and then Rp played a good cameo knock of 30 which would hurt australia badly..
they had issue with over-rate i think.. and had to choose m.clarke and symonds to bowl