Laxman the most Underrated player to play for India

Rohan495

VVS is the most underrated player to ever play for India. It all started off when this guy was made to open by force. You take out his opening average from his career and people will realize his average is close to 50. VVS is always the one being shuffled up and down the order always the one being dropped to accomadate a new batsmen poor guy didnt even play a game in the series in Bangladesh. His big innings has come against non minnows. His innings were never necessarily like his 281 which overshadhows every innings of his, but people never realize how even his fifties were crucial. This guy has done it all in tests: shepperding the tail, setting india up at number 3, and even sitting on the bench when he didnt even deserve it. As far as ODIs are concerned his status is even worse. He was constantly dumped. I blame it on Greg Chappel, maybe because VVS is the biggest threat to the aussies. Hes only played 86 odi's over a ten year span career. Laxman has never been given a chance to play a full series he would always be brought in if someone was injured or he would be brought in in the middle of the series or even the last game. People argue and say 86 matches is good enough but if you think about guys like Suresh Raina Dhoni etc haveplayed close to that within two years. Laxman was dropped also from the World Cup as Dinesh Mongia was preffered over him for what reason I dont know. He was given false hope when he was brought back for the South Africa series in 2006 and played one game to replace Dravid. I mean it should be understood that player like Laxman should be integral in both forms of the game. When India lost to Bangadesh in the world cup, a player like Laxman is then missed. People take this guy for granted. The good thing is Laxman never gives up as a cricketer. For Lancashire he almost singlehandidly brought a championship them, but no one talks about it when you compare when guys like Zaheer etc. played well everyone boasted the media went crazy over it. In the end of all this hes reached 33 and is playing superbly and having one of the best seasons of his career. This guy is class, a team man, and a proven matchwinner.

For someone with 40 odd average he is adequately rated.....
Take out his average as an opener, and the number is close to 50. For Laxman, quoting and judging him on the basis of his over all average doesn't make any sense because it is a position he has constantly disliked batting in and chose to stay out of the side to make a place for himself in the middle order rather than open the innings.
Guest dada_rocks

Forget the riders of take out this or that fact remains beyond australia he is not all that and he gets his due share of recognition for conquering australia.....

Forget the riders of take out this or that fact remains beyond australia he is not all that and he gets his due share of recognition for conquering australia.....
I find this untrue. hes done well against most non-minnow countries. Tell me one thing which is the team that always in the final for almost every world cup or world series or ICC knock out AUSTRALIA they are the best team in the world. India can handle every other country with eas.
Any objective analysis needs to have logical riders built in. Playing in the middle order he averages around 40 or more against every country except South Africa and in every country except NZ where he has played only 2 tests on wonderbras.
What defines how well he is rated exactly? You rate him and most here do too. He's been a lock in tests for some time now. I mean what would need to happen to satisfy you?
Nothings going to satisfy me except when Laxman shines. Im a Pro-Laxman type of person. In India, no one gives him the respect he deserves maybe because hes not the bollywood girl chasing type of guy. In India it seems like all the fans over there care more about that than the actual game. Im talking from a sporting standpoint and im sure many people on this forum are too. The board will support guys like Yuvraj, Dhoni, Uttapha, Sreesanth because these are the guys who will bring them more money through dumbass advertisements.

I think we've been spoilt by the stroke-play shown by Indian batsmen down the years. Our true respect goes to the ones with the water tight technique, the guys with the picture perfect forward defence that let us be at ease as they carry on at the crease. Laxman doesn't fit that bill in the way Dravid and Tendulkar do. When Laxman and Sehwag fall cheaply we find ourselves questioning their technique, lack of feet etc. With Dravid and Tendulkar all sins are forgiven.

I heard that while guys like Yuvraj and Dhoni are chasing girls and clubbing etc. Laxman is passing out spiritual Sai Baba devotional songs' date=' Clearly shows Laxmans character.[/quote'] Laxman is married, where as Yuvraj and Dhoni are not. So nothing wrong in that.... We should talk Cricketeing abilities on field only ....until the off field activities afffecting the performance.