Next gen Indian batting talents - Plenty of Flash, but light on grit?

sandeep

This is an apt post Sandeep. Although some pitches have gotten flatter in some countries, there are still challenging destinations in Eng, SA, etc. It makes me wonder too whether the next-gen cricketers will be willing to buckle down and treat the bowlers on merit instead of playing flashy shots and coming up with excuses later. I think they need to find a balance between their natural game and being smart about when to adapt/rein it in.

All of the people you named are aggressive, quick-scoring batsmen with lots of shots. But, I feel that with some application, some of them (Iyer, Shaw for example) can become all-format players. Otherwise, we still have a few fairly young domestic batsmen who seem to be more measured in their batsmanship - Bawne is a classic example. He is still only 24.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:46 PM, Vijy said:

This is an apt post Sandeep. Although some pitches have gotten flatter in some countries, there are still challenging destinations in Eng, SA, etc. It makes me wonder too whether the next-gen cricketers will be willing to buckle down and treat the bowlers on merit instead of playing flashy shots and coming up with excuses later. I think they need to find a balance between their natural game and being smart about when to adapt/rein it in.

All of the people you named are aggressive, quick-scoring batsmen with lots of shots. But, I feel that with some application, some of them (Iyer, Shaw for example) can become all-format players. Otherwise, we still have a few fairly young domestic batsmen who seem to be more measured in their batsmanship - Bawne is a classic example. He is still only 24.

Just saw this.  And the bolded sentence above is my primary point in this thread.   

My concern is that the "Bawne"s of the world aren't the ones getting the big IPL contracts, sponsors, and all that limelight.  All these incentives will have a massive influence on the next generation of cricketers - the ones that are 15 right now.   

1 hour ago, ShebbySB said:

Haven't see Hanuma Vihari live....his stats are very impressive.Averaging almost 60 in FC and also

in the India A setup.

Vihari and Aparjith are the big southern hopes that somehow fail to step up when the spotlights are on.   Duleep Trophy etc.  

On 10/27/2017 at 10:16 AM, sandeep said:

Just saw this.  And the bolded sentence above is my primary point in this thread.   

My concern is that the "Bawne"s of the world aren't the ones getting the big IPL contracts, sponsors, and all that limelight.  All these incentives will have a massive influence on the next generation of cricketers - the ones that are 15 right now.   

Yes, I agree. I think it's already happened/happening though... i.e. in terms of what the players < 21-22 are saying and aiming for.