Sri Lanka vs India : The series build-up

Gambit

Politics mars SL cricket, row over manager appointment SLC denied any move to replace Hashan Tillakaratne from the manager's post after Sports minister's intervention. More... Politics mars SL cricket, row over manager appointment Agencies Posted online: Thursday , July 17, 2008 at 1232 hrs IST Colombo, July 17: : Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) stoutly denied any move to replace former captain Hashan Tillakaratne from the post of national team's manager for the upcoming home series against India. Clearing the confusion, a top SLC official said a formal clearance on Tillakaratne's appointment was awaited from Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge and that "it was only a formality". The official was reacting to a report in the Daily Mirror newspaper which stated that the 41-year-old Tillakaratne was bowled out from the post of manager of the national team after Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge refused to endorse his appointment a day after he was introduced to the local and international media as the new manager. "It is never the practice of seeking prior approval of the Sports Minister when we appoint a manager for international cricket matches involving Sri Lanka at home. This procedure is followed when the cricketers go for overseas tours," a top SLC official said. The official informed that the decision to select a manager for a home series rests on the shoulders of SLC's Interim Cricket Committee. According to sources, the controversy arose because of Tillekaratne's affiliation with the opposition United National Party (UNP). He is the UNP organiser for the Avissawella electorate from where Sports Minister comes from. "A formal communication has been sent to the Sports Minister and we expect a endorsement of Tillakaratne's appointment very soon," the official said.

Zaheer makes a confident comeback Zaheer Khan and Chamara Silva, two players pressing for places in their national teams shone on the opening day of India's three-day warm up match against a Sri Lanka Board XI. More... Sri Lanka Board XI v Indians, tour match, Colombo, 1st day Zaheer makes a confident comeback Sa'adi Thawfeeq July 18, 2008 361594.jpgZaheer Khan picked up two wickets in an inspired first spell © AFP Two players pressing for places in their national teams for the first Test starting on Wednesday shone on the opening day of India's three-day warm up match against a Sri Lanka Board XI. Indian fast bowler Zaheer Khan, returning to competitive cricket after a lay off due to an ankle injury, bowled with his usual pace, not holding back anything, and was rewarded with two wickets for 35 runs off 12 overs. His inspired first spell saw him pick up the wickets of Upul Tharanga for 6 and Chamara Kapugedera for 1. It was a bowling performance that gave him immense satisfaction. "The way I look at it, it is going to get better from here. I definitely set a platform coming into this series and I'm looking forward to playing in it," Zaheer said at the end of the day. "It was good to bowl on a fresh wicket. The conditions weren't that bad. There was a nice cloud cover and it was a bit breezy right throughout so it worked in our favour," Zaheer said. "It was definitely humid that's one thing that we should be prepared for on the tour. To get them all out on the first day was a big positive for us. We have started this tour on a good note." Zaheer said he enjoyed bowling with 19-year-old Ishant Sharma. "Ishant provided that extra pace and bounce from the other end. It was good to bowl in tandem with him because I could stick to my line and length and movement and he adding that extra pace element," Zaheer, the most experienced in the Indian fast bowling unit, said. "At this level, you have more responsibilities on your shoulders, of helping younger bowlers. This responsibility has helped me to think more about the game." Chamara Silva, who like Zaheer is fighting for a place in the national team, was disappointed on being dismissed after making 68. "It was a good knock but if I could have extended it, I would have been happy. It was four down when I went into bat. At that time, [Thilina] Kandamby was in full flow. My role was to support him. It worked well for both of us and we found run making easy," he said. Silva's place in the Sri Lankan middle order is threatened by the return of Thilan Samaraweera and Tillakaratne Dilshan. He said it was left to the national selectors to decide on who should play but added that he was more than happy the way he batted against a strong Indian bowling, which he said was their possible Test line-up. Supporting Zaheer and Ishant were the two experienced spinners, Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh.

Ten Sports in India and Middle East. Btw...Be ready for Manggy!!
...and State-side ? Mangy sucks as a commentator, but he is alright as a host. Remember how good the "Straight Drive" show was during the '06 PAK-IND series ? Mangy as host, with a panel including Nasser Hussain, Geoffrey Boycott, Imran Khan (who wasn't that bad), Waqar, along with Michael Holding and Dean Jones doing interviews out in the open
...and State-side ? Mangy sucks as a commentator, but he is alright as a host. Remember how good the "Straight Drive" show was during the '06 PAK-IND series ? Mangy as host, with a panel including Nasser Hussain, Geoffrey Boycott, Imran Khan (who wasn't that bad), Waqar, along with Michael Holding and Dean Jones doing interviews out in the open
Abt States,no idea.. That show was very good indeed and also during that historical tour of 2004.

Kirsten happy with India's preparation India's coach Gary Kirsten has said that with so much cricket in different formats taking place, it is vital that every player understands the role that he is expected to play. More... Sri Lanka Board XI v Indians, Colombo, 3rd day Kirsten happy with India's preparation Sa'adi Thawfeeq July 20, 2008 361442.jpgGary Kirsten wants to ensure each player knows the role he is expected to play during the Tests © AFP India's coach Gary Kirsten has said that with so much cricket taking place in different formats, it is vital that every player understands the role that he is expected to play in the upcoming Tests against Sri Lanka. Speaking to the media at the end of the drawn three-day game against a Sri Lanka Board XI, Kirsten said: "We have to create an environment for everyone. To perform at his optimum, he needs a complete understanding of what he needs to do. We have worked hard on it so that everyone understands their roles and how they are going to play Test cricket." Kirsten said his only concern was that VVS Laxman, who was out for a duck in the first innings, could not get a hit when India got their chance to bat again. "I am very happy that almost everyone got some decent practice in and the way the game went. I read nothing into the performance. This is a practice opportunity for the guys to make sure that sufficient players get as much practice as possible. Our preparations have been good and we've got two days before the Test." India's captain Anil Kumble did not bowl in the second innings, but Kirsten said that Kumble was only looking after himself. "Anil doesn't want to bowl too much. He is just trying to manage his body as much as possible and he is comfortable where he is landing the ball," Kirsten said. "He wants to take his foot off the pedal and make sure he can do as much as he can in the Test match." India take on Sri Lanka in the first Test at the SSC starting on Wednesday.

India vs Sri Lanka 2008 : Mendis named in first Test squad International cricket's new spin sensation Ajantha Mendis was named in a Sri Lanka's 14-member squad for the first Test against India starting at the SSC on Wednesday. More... India in Sri Lanka 2008 Mendis named in first Test squad Sa'adi Thawfeeq July 21, 2008 International cricket's new spin sensation Ajantha Mendis was named in Sri Lanka's 14-member squad for the first Test against India starting at the SSC on Wednesday. The 23-year-old Mendis, who bowled Sri Lanka to a 100-run victory over India in the Asia Cup final in Karachi this month, is most likely to make his Test debut and partner Muttiah Muralitharan, the Test world record holder. Selection committee sources said that Sri Lanka could opt for a 'six batsmen and four bowlers' combination. Sri Lanka have, however, fallen short in the fast bowling department with Dilhara Fernando also out of the reckoning along with Lasith Malinga and Farveez Maharoof - all recovering from injuries. Fernando, who last played a Test in December, suffered a knee injury while bowling in the three-day match against the Indians which concluded at the NCC grounds yesterday. The selectors have named Thilan Thushara and Nuwan Kulasekara in the squad, one of whom will partner the experienced Chaminda Vaas with the new ball. While batsmen Michael Vandort, Malinda Warnapura, Thilan Samaraweera and wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene have sealed their spots, there could be a tussle for the No.6 slot between Chamara Silva and Tillakaratne Dilshan. Silva was impressive in the tour game, compiling half-centuries in both innings. Chamara Kapugedera, another middle-order batsman, makes a comeback to the Test squad after an impressive last few months with the one-day team. Squad: Michael Vandort, Malinda Warnapura, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Thilan Samaraweera, Chamara Silva, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Prasanna Jayawardene (wk), Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Thushara, Nuwan Kulasekera, Chamara Kapugedera

Sri Lanka formidable at home: Dravid But Dravid said his side was not concentrating on Mendis alone. More... Sri Lanka formidable at home: Dravid Agence France-Presse Colombo, July 21, 2008 First Published: 17:05 IST(21/7/2008) Last Updated: 17:07 IST(21/7/2008) Former captain Rahul Dravid says India need to be at their best to beat Sri Lanka in home conditions in a three-Test series starting here on Wednesday. "They have got the right balance in these conditions. They are always a big threat at home. Muttiah Muralitharan is a big impact and Chaminda Vaas is a clever bowler in these conditions," Dravid said on Monday. "They have a good batting line-up that adapts well in these conditions. They can bat for long periods. But we have come here with a good team as well. If we play to our potential, I think it will be a good Test series." Dravid, one of the seven batsmen to have completed 10,000 Test runs, was part of the Indian side that lost a three-match series 2-1 on their last Test tour of Sri Lanka in 2001. Sri Lanka have also beaten South Africa, England, the West Indies and Bangladesh at home in the past four years, with off-spinner Muralitharan and left-arm seamer Vaas playing major roles. They have lost just one of their 16 home Tests since August 2004, the lone defeat coming against Pakistan at Kandy two years ago. Muralitharan is the world's leading wicket-taker with 735 scalps in 120 Tests, while Vaas has grabbed 343 wickets in 104 matches. The hosts also have a surprise weapon in Ajantha Mendis, who is likely to make his Test debut here after his match-winning performance in the Asia Cup final against India in Karachi early this month. Mendis grabbed six wickets for 13 runs with clever variations to power his team to a 100-run victory. But Dravid said his side was not concentrating on Mendis alone. "Sure, he is going to be one of their four or five bowlers, but you cannot just focus on Mendis. They have got a couple of other guys (Muralitharan and Vaas) who have got 1000 wickets between them," he said. "It will be a big mistake to focus just on Mendis. We will just play it as we see it. We have come against a lot of bowlers in our times and we have succeeded against them." Dravid was one of the five veterans who was not part of the Asia Cup one-day side, others being Test skipper Anil Kumble, Sachin Tendulkar, Venkatsai Laxman and Sourav Ganguly. Tendulkar is just 172 short of breaking retired West Indies captain Brian Lara's world mark of 11,953 Test runs, but Dravid said the team was focused more on winning the series than the record. "There has been no talk in the dressing-room of either the record or anything like that. We are focused on winning the series and so is Sachin," said Dravid, who quit captaincy last year. "I hope he (Tendulkar) achieves the landmark here. We are hoping it is in the first innings of the first Test on the first day itself, so we can have a big celebration. "It would really help the team and him as well. It's obviously a great achievement for him and the team when he eventually gets there." Dravid said he had been looking forward to playing his first Test after seven years in Sri Lanka. "We have not played (a Test) here since 2001. It is nice to be back. I am looking forward to playing a Test series in Sri Lanka. The wicket here is very good," said Dravid. "I enjoy batting here. There is something in it for bowlers and stroke-players. If you get set you can play your shots and there is good value for your strokes. I have done quite well here in Tests and one-dayers."

Guest Hiten.
Great. So he has a mouth and he can speak? D
LOL! I was gonna say Shut up Kirsten. But then I realized poor guy has not said much after accepting the coaching role :haha:

Changing gears for tests : Sangakkara Sri Lanka may have won handily the last time they met India in international cricket, but this is a different ball game. More... Opinion | Kumar Sangakkara Changing gears Sri Lanka may have won handily the last time they met India in international cricket, but this is a different ball game July 22, 2008 360184.jpgThe Asia Cup win has been a boost for Sri Lanka but it won't count for much in the upcoming Tests against India © Getty Images I've been asked this question a few times since our Asia Cup victory: do Sri Lanka have a psychological hold over India? I wouldn't say we do, as such, because we're talking about two different formats of the game, two distinctive versions which require different skills and aptitudes. So, when it comes to India, what happened in the Asia Cup shouldn't be too relevant. Yes, what we achieved in Pakistan does boost the self-confidence of the team, but this is a new group in some ways. The players coming into the Test side are coming with a fresh perspective. I think we're starting on a pretty even keel. We have plans, and we're taking a very positive attitude into the first Test. We're upbeat and we believe we have the right processes in place. It has been a while since we played Test cricket, but we aren't focusing too much on that. We have set targets for individual players, but then so much about adapting is about getting into your comfort zone: how you hit the ball, if you're a batsman; where you land it, if you're a bowler. Every single part of your armoury - your skill, your mental strength, your physical fitness, your ability to enjoy certain situations - all these are really tested in this format. Players love to test themselves, to be challenged. That's what Test cricket is all about. People point out how over the last decade Sri Lanka have only lost only four series at home. That's great but it's not something we dwell too much on, because if you do so, it can add a lot of unnecessary pressure. We try and control what we can, without overdoing ourselves. We have to keep things in mind during practice: keeping our plans intact, looking at where we want to attack, who we want to attack, and so on. It comes down to executing your skills. The mood in the camp is really positive right now. We gel really well as a unit. You can see it in how the guys train, especially. In fact, the way we train is very important, for it is in practice that you can bond. If we can do our jobs well there, it sets us up for when we take the field. When it comes to our success at home in the last decade, I think the fact that we have few grounds, and obviously Muttiah Muralitharan, are key factors. Murali has been a consistent match-winner, but Chaminda Vaas from the other end has also been crucial. The way he applies pressure, dries up the runs - that's important. His craft and ability to change deliveries, combined with Murali, has made for a lethal attack. If you look at the statistics, what these two have achieved, either before or after our batsmen have set up fighting totals, has been paramount to our winning games at home. . We just play much more as a unit when we are at home. We've been able to enjoy ourselves when playing in our country and in front of home crowds. That's a high right there That said, the bowlers need the confidence of big totals to prove themselves, and more often than not our batsmen have been able to provide those. It is also because we've been able to enjoy ourselves when playing in our country and in front of home crowds. That's a high right there. We are a very small country and we're close together. We just play much more as a unit when we are at home. I have stopped keeping in Tests for a couple of years now, so I'm not looking at this series any differently. Not having to keep does free up a lot of mental and physical capacities, which serves me and the team well. I can then concentrate on one skill. You can argue that it does put more pressure on you to deliver in that one main aspect - in my case in Tests, batting. I have a good idea of what is required from me and I'm confident of doing well against India. I've not had a real chance to speak to Ajantha Mendis specifically about what could be his Test debut in Colombo. We know there's a lot of hype around him but we really don't care. That has come from the media mostly. Importantly for the team, we know what he can do. Whether he plays or not is a different matter. For us it's about getting the right combinations and right side out on the park.

I will vomit with rage if that fraud Harbhajan is picket for the first test and we only go with two pacers. This whole argument of going in with four bowlers is bull crap. Our batting card is supposed to be filled with attacking openers like Sehwag and Gambhir who are masters of spin, and legends like Ganguly, Dravid, Tendulkar. That's five batsmen who are all capable of easily reaching triple figures against any team in the world. Why do we have to add in yet another batsmen in Laxman? Karthick can bat decently and we have a decent tail with Kumble there. I think we should go in with at least three seamers, because we already have Sehwag who can bowl his brand of offspin along with Kumble.

I will vomit with rage if that fraud Harbhajan is picket for the first test and we only go with two pacers.
Given Kumble's unconditional love for Harbhajan coupled with the fact that Lankans will make a raging turner, do you really expect 3 pacers?
Given Kumble's unconditional love for Harbhajan coupled with the fact that Lankans will make a raging turner' date=' do you really expect 3 pacers?[/quote'] Unrealistic I know. But the SSC does provide something for bowlers and the team there now are best suited to make the decision. It's just that Harbhajan absolutely sucks in Tests outside India and especially against Sri Lanka. The guy averages 60 at a strike rate of almost 120!! No, those are not typos, mistakes but real figures for this over hyped bowler. If you are going with two spinners I would prefer someone else other this joker. harbhajan_singh_ramp.jpg"I took these from Sreesanth!"