Sri Lanka vs India : The series build-up

Gambit

The series I am really looking forward to July 2008 India in Sri Lanka (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) The last time we won a test series in SL was in 1993. 1997 was an insipid drawn series with that infamous 953/6 match. Given our form prior to the 2001 tour, we had a genuine chance but unfortunately, Laxman,SRT,Srinath and Kumble got injured before the series. We still managed to win a test but lost the series 2-1. This time round, hopefully our big 5 + Kumble will be fit and raring to go. Zak is a must for that tour as I feel he is our best bowler on flat tracks and dust bowls. And of course, Laxman,SRT and Sehwag should show Murali who's boss. :top: Here is the schedule of the tour, July 2008 Fri 18 - Sun 20 05:00 GMT TBC v Indians Venue TBC Wed 23 - Sun 27 10:30 local, 05:00 GMT 1st Test - Sri Lanka v India Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo Thu 31 - Mon 4 10:30 local, 05:00 GMT 2nd Test - Sri Lanka v India Galle International Stadium August 2008 Fri 8 - Tue 12 10:30 local, 05:00 GMT 3rd Test - Sri Lanka v India P Saravanamuttu Stadium, Colombo Fri 15 10:00 local, 04:30 GMT TBC v Indians Nondescripts Cricket Club Ground, Colombo Mon 18 10:00 local, 04:30 GMT 1st ODI - Sri Lanka v India Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium Wed 20 10:00 local, 04:30 GMT 2nd ODI - Sri Lanka v India Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium Sun 24 14:30 local, 09:00 GMT 3rd ODI - Sri Lanka v India R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo Tue 26 14:30 local, 09:00 GMT 4th ODI - Sri Lanka v India R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo Fri 29 14:30 local, 09:00 GMT 5th ODI - Sri Lanka v India R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo

Sri Lanka, at home, is probably the second toughest place to tour after Australia.Those guys know their conditions like the back of their hand. And to be honest, I am not so sure Guys like Ganguly and Dravid will still be around till then. If if they are there, it will be one hell of a challenge.

SCG will be there for sure, RD should utilize this break to make a strong comeback, good for him that there is a long break before the next test series. I'm more afraid for SRT, so many ODIs can easily break him down. He must play ODIs very selectively.

Sri Lanka' date= at home, is probably the second toughest place to tour after Australia.Those guys know their conditions like the back of their hand. And to be honest, I am not so sure Guys like Ganguly and Dravid will still be around till then. If if they are there, it will be one hell of a challenge.
Not for the sub cont teams. PAK haven't lost a single test match in SL since 1985 and have never lost a series there. For the sub cont teams they aren't as tough as S Africa.
Not for the sub cont teams. PAK haven't lost a single test match in SL since 1985 and have never lost a series there. For the sub cont teams they aren't as tough as S Africa.
I am not sure how much credence I should give to such "records" considering how little Pakistan actually tours Sri Lanka. In fact, I cant remember, from memory, any Pakistan test played in Sri Lanka.
July 2008 India in Sri Lanka (3 Tests & 5 ODIs) The last time we won a test series in SL was in 1993. 1997 was an insipid drawn series with that infamous 953/6 match. Given our form prior to the 2001 tour, we had a genuine chance but unfortunately, Laxman,SRT,Srinath and Kumble got injured before the series. We still managed to win a test but lost the series 2-1. This time round, hopefully our big 5 + Kumble will be fit and raring to go. Zak is a must for that tour as I feel he is our best bowler on flat tracks and dust bowls. And of course, Laxman,SRT and Sehwag should show Murali who's boss. :top:
Forget it, Gambo. You know who is going to be selected on SL's "turning tracks", don't you? A few well timed interviews before the series on how it's going to be a tussle between him and Murali, a couple of references by the press to 2001 and how he recently "owned" Ponting, and he should be good for all three Tests. Until Indian cricket gets rid of this blood sucking hookworm, we are facked.
Forget it, Gambo. You know who is going to be selected on SL's "turning tracks", don't you? A few well timed interviews before the series on how it's going to be a tussle between him and Murali, a couple of references by the press to 2001 and how he recently "owned" Ponting, and he should be good for all three Tests. Until Indian cricket gets rid of this blood sucking hookworm, we are facked.
Its an interesting conundrum Doc, mainly because, we shouldnt forget the performance of Murali in Aus in the previous series. I suppose if the world best ever off-spinner and leading wicket went for plenty in Aus, how much of a better performance can we expect form Bhajji. I suppose, that could only mean, that bhajji will go to Lanka, though I agree with you that he has been having mostly mediocre performances off late.
Sri Lanka, at home, is probably the second toughest place to tour after Australia.Those guys know their conditions like the back of their hand. And to be honest, I am not so sure Guys like Ganguly and Dravid will still be around till then. If if they are there, it will be one hell of a challenge.
Rest assured, Ganguly will be there but Dravid has dug himself into a hole as usual and if he doesn't perform against South Africa in March then it's curtains for him.
Dravid - opened the batting in 2 tests - 237 runs in 4 tests 7 innings 1 no Aver 33.xx Ganguly - Safely hidden in MO - 235 runs in 4 tests 8 innings - Aver 29.xx But only Dravid is under pressure. Why?
Look at Ganguly's performance in previous series before touring Aussies. You will see the reason