Tendulkar's performance in Australia and how much of a rope should batsmen get?

Lurker

Not really CA. I was one of the rarest ones who had said here that India is going to win the series in Australia. Of course that was deemed as "jingoistic Indian fan" slogan but anyone who knows me should know I am anything but jingoistic, heck many of jingoistic fans keep muttering how I put down India, go figure! A funny observation has been how SRT fans have now come out shouting how great he was in the series and eggs on his face of detractors etc etc. The same people were nowhere to be seen when I had raised how much would SRT score(beleive Bumper was asking the same question) in Australia and many of his ardent fans couldnt promise a series@50. I remember saying(probably to Holysmoke) that I would be happy if SRT/Dravid/VVS score at what their average in Australia is(50) and I still see them very capable of doing so. Turns out SRT did score at 50 plus and VVS about 45. Onwards to bowling I did not find an attack of Lee-Clarke-Johnson-Tait too much of worry and but for Lee it eventually turned out thus. So yes I am not at all surprised by a 2-1 outcome. xxx
Yeah' date=' Bumper had posed that question before the Pakistan series and it doesn't make sense to predict averages on a series by series basis because of the small sample size, the misunderstanding of which prompted the likes of you to proclaim Tendulkar a failure in England because of his 30s average disregarding the fact that two of his failures were in utterly meaningless innings. At that point, I had predicted a 45-55 average for him over the next 20 odd tests we are slated to play till March 2009 and he is well on his way to achieving it with an average of 70+ in 6 of those tests.[/quote'] A Tendulkar prediction thread from the old days - looks like he has justified the rope he got.
See, Punter? Dravid got two years of rope, SRT got so much as well - why can't you give Yuvraj a bit more rope as well? Why do you allow Dravid two years and not treat Yuvraj the same way? :--D
Why not me? What have I done? Why dont I get some of that bloody rope?:D
See, Punter? Dravid got two years of rope, SRT got so much as well - why can't you give Yuvraj a bit more rope as well? Why do you allow Dravid two years and not treat Yuvraj the same way? :--D
Because Dravid has earnt the rope. We know what he is capable of, we know his grit and determination and know that he will put his neck on the line for Team India. Do we know that about Yuvraj? Nope. Sure, he performs in the ODIs and T20s, but Tests are a different game all together. He is a bits and pieces player, at best, in test match cricket. With favorable (sub continent) conditions and mediocre bowling (England, Pakistan) he does his bit and scores. But take him out of his comfort zone and he struggles. In NZ he got flat pitches AND crap bowlers, he still didn't perform. He tries to play ODI and T20 shots in test match cricket, and you simply can't do that. There are slips, more attacking fielders. An edge would fetch Yuvraj four in one day games, here it gets him out.
Because Dravid has earnt the rope. We know what he is capable of, we know his grit and determination and know that he will put his neck on the line for Team India. Do we know that about Yuvraj? Nope. Sure, he performs in the ODIs and T20s, but Tests are a different game all together. He is a bits and pieces player, at best, in test match cricket. With favorable (sub continent) conditions and mediocre bowling (England, Pakistan) he does his bit and scores. But take him out of his comfort zone and he struggles. In NZ he got flat pitches AND crap bowlers, he still didn't perform. He tries to play ODI and T20 shots in test match cricket, and you simply can't do that. There are slips, more attacking fielders. An edge would fetch Yuvraj four in one day games, here it gets him out.
In Summary, Dinesh Karthik should be made captain.