Tips on buying Plasma TV

Desi Cartman

Bulb replacement is for LCDs as far as I know. Plasmas lose their oomph because the inert gases in them - not sure what they use' date=' Argon/Xenon - naturally diffuse out over the years leading to a duller picture. I think Plasmas just have to be junked as you cannot really replinish these gases - at least not in any practical way.[/quote'] No prof, bulb replacement is for plasma. Plasmas do produce better pictures, but LCDs are reaching equally good levels, and are much cheaper to maintain. I know because my cousin bought a plasma and then realized that he would have to change bulb every few years. By few years i mean every 3000 hours, whereas LCD's are good for 15000+ hrs without any maintenance. Also, I have studied plasmas in some detail..(Plasma screen was invented at my university). TV techno in 7-8 years will NOT have a new face. The face will still be the usual 1080p, the technology will change at the back end, with LED screens becoming the norm, and maybe something new being invented/innovated. HD Television has to still reach the masses, and places like the US have only recently shifted to digital, so we are quite some distance away from the next leap.

^ Here is what I found :

LCD TVs have a backlight that is specified to last between 30,000 and 60,000 hours. LCD TVs also have replaceable backlights, but the expense of replacing one when the time comes may be greater than simply replacing the entire TV.
You were right though about Plasma lamps - they are the ones which dim out. I had thought the limiting factor would be the life span of keeping the inert gases confined.

This maybe a little off-topic, but its funny how consumers always want to buy a product that will remain state-of-the-art atleast for the next 4-5 years, when its abundantly clear that most consumer electronics, however expensive, become outdated in 18-24 months. That’s just the way these products are set-up.

This maybe a little off-topic' date=' but its funny how consumers always want to buy a product that will remain state-of-the-art atleast for the next 4-5 years, when its abundantly clear that most consumer electronics, however expensive, become outdated in 18-24 months. That’s just the way these products are set-up.[/quote'] I have an old PC :embarassed: It runs Windows XP - good ol' PC still runs, but on its last legs so will get a new one with Windows 7 later this year or next year. :girly1: (but, I do have a relatively newer laptop :D)

I have an old PC :embarassed: It runs Windows XP - good ol' PC still runs, but on its last legs so will get a new one with Windows 7 later this year or next year. :girly1: (but, I do have a relatively newer laptop :D)
The interesting thing people don’t sometimes comprehend is, most companies are already 2-3 research/development cycles ahead in most of their products they introduce or upgrade. Apple has probably already designed an iPhone far superior to the latest version in the market, but they wouldn’t release it all the same time because they would have nothing to offer as an upgrade and con more people into buying their product.

If you buy a top range electronics device it can easily last you 4-6 years. 2-3 years when it is still close to the top and another 2-3 years when it using it won't disadvantage you all that much. That's a decent shelf life. I bought my MacBook Pro(which was top of the range at the time) around 3 years back and don't think I'll need to change it for another 2 years at least.

If you buy a top range electronics device it can easily last you 4-6 years. 2-3 years when it is still close to the top and another 2-3 years when it using it won't disadvantage you all that much. That's a decent shelf life. I bought my MacBook Pro(which was top of the range at the time) around 3 years back and don't think I'll need to change it for another 2 years at least.
Yeah. I bought my computer 8 months ago, and it is still the benchmark as far as new laptops go.

Calling Holysmoke, Cartman, Prof > LG50PQ70 -- Awesome Looks, plays SD content above expectations, havent checked out HD. > Samsung B550 - FHD, plays decent SD content, the HD on this is awesome, Ofcourse since its FHD. > Panasonic - P50X10D - Havent seen a demo yet. Before i get lambasted by Smoke for even considering a Plasma, all I have to say is the perf on my current plasma is stunning, havent had much problems with my electricity consumption, Whats more the need now is kinda urgent, since I have been having problems with my CRT since the last couple of days. Views on this would be appreciated.

Which one? C10 or X10' date=' have seen neither. Would need to check them out. I guess the one you got last year was Full HD right?[/quote'] I dont know much about TV's ... send me a detailed PM or post details here and I will ask my manager .. he is senti about TVs and he knows all about it. Mine is HD but not full HD ... but I find the picture perfect cuz I have digital cable & digital free to air TV .. nothing if FULL HD yet in Aus except Blue ray ..

I dont know much about TV's ... send me a detailed PM or post details here and I will ask my manager .. he is senti about TVs and he knows all about it. Mine is HD but not full HD ... but I find the picture perfect cuz I have digital cable & digital free to air TV .. nothing if FULL HD yet in Aus except Blue ray ..
These are the two models: > X10 > C10 Senti? Lolz !