Australia slipping: Jayawardene

Feed

My psyche is so used to seeing mammoth scores, tall run chases ( remember the Chappell-Hadlee series last year), that I am finding it extremely hard to comprehend the reason for the consistent low scores in this tournament. Its unimaginable to think Aus played out their 50 overs and YET, scored only 180-odd runs.I cant remember when was the last time a team played its full quota and yet scored so less. Re. OP, Mahela must now be wishing he never said those lines.

From post-match quotes. "We've made it quite difficult for ourselves over the whole tournament," Sangakkara said. "We've been making the opposition look a bit better than they really are. This confirms it, Australia is really declining if Sri Lanka have to play *this* badly to make them look better than they are!

What an overrated bunch these Lankans are. Cant believe the hype that surrounds this team. They were apparently the favs to get to the finals to meet Australia. If they cant get to the finals ahead of an India-B team (& the slipping Aussies), what good are they ? Tigers at home, pu$$y cats away!

Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene called on his batsmen to show more patience and take advantage of what he said was an inconsistent Australia in the tri-series. More... February 18 2008 at 11:19AM Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene called on his batsmen to show more patience and take advantage of what he said was an inconsistent Australia in the tri-series. The Sri Lankans face India on Tuesday with Jayawardene admitting the two touring sides were already fighting for the right to play hosts Australia in the finals. "Now it's become like a two-horse race to get into the finals," Jayawardene said. "We've been inconsistent with the bat, the bowlers have lifted the mark, but we haven't batted well at all." Jayawardene said his team's batsmen needed to display more patience. "One needs to spend more time at the wicket and wait for an opportunity. "It's not easy to score runs quickly but rather you need to work your way in the innings. "We need to keep wickets in hand and bat well and not to have too many negative thoughts going." Despite Australia's dominance, Jayawardene reiterated his belief that the home side were not at their brilliant best. "We are not pushing the advantage. Australia haven't played good cricket - they've not been consistent to be precise," he said. "They used to be very consistent, but not nowadays. "I don't think the two other teams are capitalising on their weaknesses and both the teams should have won against them. "Their experience and bowling have pulled them out of troubled situations." -
bump :D