Ganguly still hopes for a return to ODIs

again mm.. it's not that ganguly is taking media's help.. he was approached by ndtv... he was asked to come on ndtv.. and he came.. now ofcourse if Dravid is aproached and is asked by Ndtv same question.. then would he say that "I'm Done from odi cricket." the answer is no.. he won't say.. if he really wanted to say no.. then by now he would have announced his ODI RETIRement..
Ticz, SG need not say his ODI career is over, but to say "SRT is playing..." is the unnecessary part.
This is a totally distorted version of what he had said...I read another version where he had said " I cannot comment on that" at least 3 times and just mentioned "my record is perhaps next only to Sachin"..this is hilarious' date=' but his ODI career is over and with good reason, he was always a mediocre ODI player, hiding behind sachin's performance and costing the team more than what he contributed every 2-3 games at his own scoring rate[/quote'] Vatz, Gangoo is a far far better ODI player than your boy Kumble and is a bonafide alltime great in ODIs.

Indian Selectors are never consistent. Its not like ganguly only got the short end of the stick all the time. 96 - Didn't deserve to be selected but he got in due to quota system 2004/5 - Deserved to be dropped but was retained and he played a huge part in the continuous drubbings we got 2007- Didn't earn his place back but was recalled anyway 2008 - Didn't deserve to be dropped cos he had a good 2007 So the stupid selectors has helped him more than not.

Guys if you are strictly looking at performances then SG would be a shoo-in. He is way better ODI batsman than VS (and was doing much better than GG. Obviously GG has shown good form now). Regarding fielding, I have already started a thread and right now India are -2 in runs saved. With SG in they might be -5 or so, but the point is that fielding is given undue importance because of 1 great performance in 10 games. Also, regarding ODIs, SRT is a way better batsman than SG and all others on subcontinental tracks, but through out his career SG has done almost as well (and sometimes even better) when playing in SA, Toronto, England, Aus. Plus his bowling is more than handy on seaming tracks. So, please respect his contributions in ODIs. I am not against trying out youngsters in ODIs but there should be some consistency in the selectors' thought process.

Guest HariSampath

Ganguly is a cr@p ODI player, and I had posted in various threads why. 1. Can only be fitted in as an opener, which means other genuinely attacking openers like Sehwag, Gambhir, Uthappa never get to play. 2. Ganguly's only claim to fame is xx 100 run partnerships with Sachin, so he basically hides behind Sachin's record and performance, how many times in his last 50 ODIs has Ganguly batted significantly well to win games ( minus Sachin). 3. Poor running between wickets costs -20 runs for himself, -20 runs for batters at other end, long sequences of dot balls, momentum lost, desperate shots at other end costing wkts, and lower order invariably left to score 8rpo or 10rpo in last 10. 4. His fielding costs -20 everytime. So if Ganguly is in the side for 3 ODIs, he will cost -60 in each game, score a 80 ball 55 in 1 out of 3 ( with all the above drawbacks). Best decision was to drop him, should have been taken ages back...

‘Sachin is playing, while rest of us are not’ ''Sachin is playing one-day cricket while the rest of us are not.'' Ganguly was speaking for the first time after being dropped from the Indian team for the Commonwealth Bank tri-series currently underway in Australia.
That 2008 most idiotic statement... SG is a very good batsman but no where near to Sachin .
Guest HariSampath
Ganguly was one of the finest ODI player ever to grace the field.
SG one of the finest ODI players ??? and he "graced" the field...based on what ? how can someone with a 70 SR in his career and with all his liabilities mentioned earlier ever fall into that category ?
For a few years, i rated him higher than Sachin. But those days are over.
Better than Sachin in ODI's for a "few years" ?? when ? those days are non existent. Sachin with his left hand and right leg tied up in chains will be a better ODI player than Ganguly
Although he is still better than any youngsters , he had to go in the interest of the next WC.
Which youngster is he better than now ? I just showed you that on his BEST day, he will cost the side minus 60 runs, and he had to go LONG back, not in interest of next WC, in interest of India.
Which youngster is he better than now ? I just showed you that on his BEST day, he will cost the side minus 60 runs, and he had to go LONG back, not in interest of next WC, in interest of India.
I will answer your other question later. But this i got to do 1st. Pulling numbers out of your ass does not mean anything. You didnt show anything. -60? Really???
Guest HariSampath

^....cut out ur words, u have no idea of what you are getting into....but here is how the numbers work... 1. If in the field, ball goes to Ganguly 30 times, it is a minimum of +1 run, if it is outfield 2s become 3s, and on the 30 yard line an almost "no run" becomes an easy single...even assuming this happens only 50% of the time, we have ganguly costing us 20-25 runs in the field ( and those who watch TV know this without any number crunching) 2. While batting, Ganguly does hog the strike for long periods, playing at 60-65 SR , having long sequences of dot balls. We all know he turns down many easy runs ( both for himself and partner) and apart from missed singles, 2s get converted to 1s and 3s into 2s ( both for himself and partner), this is a bare minimum of 25-30 runs minus, and I am being charitable here. 3. It is a fact that a Sachin in full flow gets shut out of the strike for overs together, just getting to play 3-4 balls every 2-3 overs, and how many times had Sachin gone for a frustrated shot and got out ( seen games on TV ? ) With all of the above, putting Ganguly at minus 60 per game is extremely charitable, and we all know his strike rate , so what was wrong in my analysis.

Ganguly should not be whining like this. There is no meaning comparing himself with Sachin. He is just giving more fuel for his stupid supporters to stop more trains and do more demonstrations in Kolkata. Stop this idiocy and concentrate on your career. Learn a few things from RD.

^....cut out ur words, u have no idea of what you are getting into....but here is how the numbers work... 1. If in the field, ball goes to Ganguly 30 times, it is a minimum of +1 run, if it is outfield 2s become 3s, and on the 30 yard line an almost "no run" becomes an easy single...even assuming this happens only 50% of the time, we have ganguly costing us 20-25 runs in the field ( and those who watch TV know this without any number crunching) 2. While batting, Ganguly does hog the strike for long periods, playing at 60-65 SR , having long sequences of dot balls. We all know he turns down many easy runs ( both for himself and partner) and apart from missed singles, 2s get converted to 1s and 3s into 2s ( both for himself and partner), this is a bare minimum of 25-30 runs minus, and I am being charitable here. 3. It is a fact that a Sachin in full flow gets shut out of the strike for overs together, just getting to play 3-4 balls every 2-3 overs, and how many times had Sachin gone for a frustrated shot and got out ( seen games on TV ? ) With all of the above, putting Ganguly at minus 60 per game is extremely charitable, and we all know his strike rate , so what was wrong in my analysis.
Even though I am a die-hard fan of Ganguly's towering sixes (who can forget that hitting against Lanka in the WC?), I can not disagree with any of your points. While fielding, a captain's biggest problem is to find a place to hide Ganguly.
^....cut out ur words, u have no idea of what you are getting into....but here is how the numbers work... 1. If in the field, ball goes to Ganguly 30 times, it is a minimum of +1 run, if it is outfield 2s become 3s, and on the 30 yard line an almost "no run" becomes an easy single...even assuming this happens only 50% of the time, we have ganguly costing us 20-25 runs in the field ( and those who watch TV know this without any number crunching) Not quite sure if SG is giving 20-25 runs extra alone but yes Batsman tends to take chances if the ball is anywhere close to him , saying he alone gives 20-25 runs is exaggeration 2. While batting, Ganguly does hog the strike for long periods, playing at 60-65 SR , having long sequences of dot balls. We all know he turns down many easy runs ( both for himself and partner) and apart from missed singles, 2s get converted to 1s and 3s into 2s ( both for himself and partner), this is a bare minimum of 25-30 runs minus, and I am being charitable here. no doubt what so ever that his running bet wickets is poor and he sometimes creates a confusion for SRT leading to run outs 3. It is a fact that a Sachin in full flow gets shut out of the strike for overs together, just getting to play 3-4 balls every 2-3 overs, and how many times had Sachin gone for a frustrated shot and got out ( seen games on TV ? ) it seldom happens that SG gets stuck at one end , even SRT have admitted that when going gets tough sometimes run scoring gets difficult SG free flowing drives have bailed him and Team India out With all of the above, putting Ganguly at minus 60 per game is extremely charitable, and we all know his strike rate , so what was wrong in my analysis.
They say "Taali ek haanth se nahi bajti, The opening patnership between SRT and SG ,when this patnership has failed on very few occasions Team India has won , I admit that he has a few drawbacks but he is not the only one to have them . Whatever he has done for us demands respect

Too much SCG bashing, but not gonna respond to most, because then I'll be one of the gangulians and if I respond with the stupidity of those posts I'll be attacking personally, so is the mindset of morons who pretend to understand the game. SCG is one of the all time greats in ODIs. And it was not only him, but the whole Indian team who batted/played behind SRT's genius, specially in ODIs, all through 90s and even now. But after SRT, he's the best ever ODI player to have played for India. Heck, he single-handedly beat pak in Toronto. But please keep on displaying the "expert" analysis.