US H1 Visa

talksport

When should I apply .... I hold Indian Passport and currently a UK resident (Green Card Equivalent, which might be irrelavant) .... If I have to migrate to US and work in Software as a Freelancer is April 2008 the cut off... Did I miss the boat for this year Please advice....

I think you should start looking around now itself for H1B sponsorship. The USCIS starts processing applications for this year in April. Its crazy...last year the 65000 H1B quota was reached bang on first day itself and they adjudicated based on a lottery system.So April 2008 is indeed the cut off for applications. If your H1B application is approved you can start working only after Oct 1,2008.

What the fack do you want to migrate to US for? They don't cover cricket well there. Stay right here. Anyway, isn't your wife a doc? She'll have to start all over again, won't she?
Do Docs from UK have to start all over again in US, Dhondy? Why is there such a rule? If US Doc goes to UK, is vice versa true!?

Do Docs from UK have to start all over again in US, Dhondy? Why is there such a rule? If US Doc goes to UK, is vice versa true!?
Yes. Except within the European Union, other countries in the world do not accept each other's doctors without further exams/tests.

USA require you to pass three different exams- USMLE steps I, II, and III. The UK required overseas grads to pass the PLAB Test, comprising two parts, but has recently outlawed non-EU grads from holding training posts in the UK, although they can still work in service posts, which unfortunately hold little career promise.

What the fack do you want to migrate to US for? They don't cover cricket well there. Stay right here. Anyway, isn't your wife a doc? She'll have to start all over again, won't she?
You can watch live cricket on telly via satellite. Don't you need a cable TV subscription to SKY in order to get live cricket in England ? It's the same situation here

although they can still work in service posts' date=' which unfortunately hold little career promise.[/quote'] Yep , Non EU grads are being forced out....Tough chance of getting a numbered post, even we can qualify for British Citizenship. Hence the decision.... Yeah, I will miss the closeness to Cricket, Footie Passion, Snooker, Rugby etc.....but I can still enjoy MLB, NBA , NFL , NHL , some weather and more social life :D

What the fack do you want to migrate to US for? They don't cover cricket well there. Stay right here.
Dhony earlier i also had a problem in watching cricket , but later i installed a Dish with receiver to catch Hotbird / Nile Sat and got a phela card Silver subscription which cost 40$ / mnth. So now i get Tensports / foxspt/ neo

Yeah talksport, if you are serious about this better start your ground work now. April 2008 will be cut off. And yes you will miss cricket a lot. Dont listen to those who say you wont. Yes you wont miss the kind of cricket that Harsha Bhogle and Tony Greig cover every other day. You know you get up early and you have the same culprits saying "The pitch looks great for batting". Same $hit different day. Seems like everyone, players, commentator, and even the fans are on Autopilot. You will however miss the kind of cricket where you are passing by a local park and you see a batsman hit a ball high in the air, high enough for you to stop in your tracks and wait for the fielders to take it. If he fails you go all "Son of *****", if he takes it you are uplifted for no reason. Yep you will watch cricket on laptop but the moment you step out of the house your coccoon would be gone. Ask me, got seriously effed for that and maybe that explains my dwindling interest in cricket.

Talksport, CA makes a good point. You can work around H1 by moving to US on a L1 visa(not sure about B1). L1 is more a company to company transfer thingy. So say you work for a company in England, consulting for example, who also happens to have a branch in USA, they can move you to USA under L1 visa. Generally it is easier to get a L1 visa. So look that up as well.

Good point...however on an L1 you are confined to your employer' date='can't switch jobs like on an H1B. That's a big drawback in my opinion.[/quote'] I'm on a L1 and while the spouse working is an option, the disadvantage is that the L1 is a transfer visa, which means that you have to prove that you worked for the Indian subsidiary for the firm you're going to be employed with for more than a year in India. Obviously the bodyshoppers have tricks to override that requirement, but that depends on your moral stand.