UN rates best and worst countries to live

Mandrake

Guest dada_rocks

In Iceland sex on very first date is accepted practice.. It has got to be the best country:D.. One of my frustu freind actually moved there for his PhD just for this reason:D

India's rank ???
Nowhere worth mentioning. India, for the most part, is still a fairly big $hithole to live in. If its not the terrible poverty & overpopulation, its the terrible smog of clunky and outdated industries. If its not that, then its the bhagwaa-brigade hindu jihadis, if its not that, then its the mullah-brigade jihadis. If not that, then its the cross-wearing brigade of jihadis. Ofcourse, there is the nationalist versus communist versus just plain idiots all going on. And on top of that, there is corruption, casteism, sexism and amazing amounts of natural destruction and destitution happening (which in itself will be the cause of India's ultimate demise). I've been to many European countries, many middle eastern countries, north americas and some south-east asia. And India is very near the bottom of the pile for overall liveability- the only thing going for India is it has a fairly robust cultural scene that somehow keeps ticking, despite being a pretty sick puppy from time to time. No, India is not improving anytime soon-it will not eliminate poverty to the western levels in the next 100 years- and by then it won't matter anyways, for with global warming, retreating glaciers and ganga-jamuna drying up, India is just a place waiting to die as a civilization.Or atleast,the north- the deccan will still remain relatively liveable... but heartland of India (Sindhu-ganga-jamuna-brahmaputra valley) is toast in the near future. And given that most Indians live in this area, India as a nation is also toast pretty soon. Oh well.

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi :yay:
bah. I havn't been to Australia, but the ones i know who have been to Australia and are here (here being Canada) say that Australia in general has higher levels of aminities comfort than Canada ( in terms of road quality, outdoors life, cheaper electronics & consumer goods etc) but Canada has better public works ( libraries, schools, healthcare, social services,etc.) and a far better racial equality. One day i'd like to go to Australia and find out.

bah. I havn't been to Australia, but the ones i know who have been to Australia and are here (here being Canada) say that Australia in general has higher levels of aminities comfort than Canada ( in terms of road quality, outdoors life, cheaper electronics & consumer goods etc) but Canada has better public works ( libraries, schools, healthcare, social services,etc.) and a far better racial equality. One day i'd like to go to Australia and find out.
I have never been to Canada but from whatever I know you guys do have better schools rest is pretty much the same.

Forget the schools and roads, I bet my bottom dollar Australia is more beautiful and picturesque than Canada and has much better weather than Canada. Whats a country without good, all-season tourist spots !
its depends which part of Aus are you talking about. Perth , Melbourne and Adelaide have pretty short summers (2-3 months really ! ) Sydney is a little better but Queensland is the best. its like Aussie Florida !

I bet my bottom dollar Australia is more beautiful and picturesque than Canada and has much better weather than Canada.
That is comparing apples to oranges. In terms of natural beauty, its comparing alpine and polar beauty to arid beauty for the most part. There are some stunningly pristine national parks here- with turqouise-blue lakes that you can drink straight out of. Kluaane, Jasper, etc. are terrific nature destinations. In terms of weather, again, its comparing mostly arid weather to mostly alpine weather :would you prefer half your year to be 40C or half your year to be -10C is the question. There are pockets of moderate weather in canada and australia too- as DDU (desidownunder-abbreviated form :D) said, areas around melbourne, sydney etc. are fairly picturesque and in terms of canada, Vancouver is just about one of THE prettiest cities to live in the world. DDU, roads in Canada seriously suck- its probably got to do with the fact that our roads crack a lot and require a lot of re-paving due to the winter temperature drops and moist conditions. That is one area where Australia and most other western countries have us beat.

Its the case of grass is greener on the other side, but australia is heads up with its weather. I guess, other factors are security, taxes, cost of living etc - canada ain' cheap for that matter escpcailly where I live, for a 2 bedroom home, its minium 350K, so it all really depends. Canada is attached to the US, so travelling to US destinations and mexico becomes very affordable, whereas in Aus...well, u are just in Aus

canada ain' cheap for that matter escpcailly where I live, for a 2 bedroom home, its minium 350K, so it all really depends.
Well Vancouver and the lower mainland suburbia is consistently rated amongst the top 3 most expensive metropolitan areas in terms of real estate costs. Thats probably the one and only serious drawback i find to Vancouver.

That is comparing apples to oranges. In terms of natural beauty, its comparing alpine and polar beauty to arid beauty for the most part. There are some stunningly pristine national parks here- with turqouise-blue lakes that you can drink straight out of. Kluaane, Jasper, etc. are terrific nature destinations. In terms of weather, again, its comparing mostly arid weather to mostly alpine weather :would you prefer half your year to be 40C or half your year to be -10C is the question. There are pockets of moderate weather in canada and australia too- as DDU (desidownunder-abbreviated form :D) said, areas around melbourne, sydney etc. are fairly picturesque and in terms of canada, Vancouver is just about one of THE prettiest cities to live in the world.
Not entirely true. While Canada has incredible alpine/forestal beauty, the Blue Mountains parks in NSW and some of the areas around the Great Ocean Road in Vic are truly spectacular and could compare in terms of scenery. Australia's got much more diversity in that sense - areas like the Blue Mountains, the QLD rainforests, the Barrier Reef (which is just UNBELIEVABLE), the outback and Cradle Mountain/the nature and wildlife reserves around Tasmania. Plus (for a wine geek like me), Aus has more kickass wine regions than I can count on my hand. All Canada has is highly overrated/overpriced ice wine (that falls well short of the real German stuff :D). And then there's the MCG, SCG and other kirkit. While Vancouver's incredibly pretty, I'd still put Sydney and Melbourne on par with it from my visits to all 3 places. [Although Rajeev, Sydney's ridiculously expensive as well - HELL of a city to visit, but not one I'm keen on living in with the costs - Melbourne's a much more attractive area atm] Not to knock either. If I were making such a list, both of these would be in my top 5. But Australia a notch higher. Both fantastic places though.

Yeah, Australia would've been my #1 choice too years ago when i was making the choice, had it not been for race-relations. To all i've spoken to/read about, Canada is just far far more accepting of immigration than Australia is ( i could be wrong- as i said before, i only have voluminous second hand info and reading immigration related journals on the topic). Stuff like Cronulla beach riots, etc. havn't happened in Canada for over 30 years. Anyways, my point was that Canada's beauty is starkly different than Australia's beauty- it is a bit like comparing Sikkim to Kerala...or Rajasthan to Ladakh..which really is more beautiful is pretty much a prefference call. Me myself, having lived for years in the middle east find Canada's lush greenery everywhere to be far more of an eye-candy.

Despite all this, USA was the destination of choice for professionals world over (it probably still "is" but definitely declined in popularity over the last some years) ps: exception of doctors who preferred UK
Yes. Its because professionals can make a lot of money there. But it is a really unbalanced society- where there are over 10 million homeless, yet the home of the billionares. Not much the american society offers in the way of community compared to most nations, really.