Is Dhoni getting too arrogant for his own good, of late?

fineleg

Is Dhoni getting too arrogant for his own good, of late?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

He seemed to be a cool but calm leader during Worldcup 2020. But of late, he has been making arrogant remarks. Would he have dissed off Tendulkar or Dravid (if for whatever reason they had to do the runner duty for him)? Just coz it was some noob Rohit Sharma, he gave him the equivalent of a slap in the face in public. Why is the respect and privacy (you can scold him in private if you want) not accorded to a noob RS? Also, how on earth can a runner react with the same instantaneous speed as the batsman himself!!! MSD must be dreaming if he wants that kind of ideal situation with runners!!! But Yuvraj Singh is treated differently by Dhoni. Of late - there has been a definite visibility of arrogant streak in talks and decisions that Dhoni is doing. Becos of our 2020 WC win he has earned some cookie points, and using those cookie points he is able to call the shots and make decisions on squad selection (omitting RD, SG, getting the playerz he wantz etc) But he has to remember the cookie points wont last forever, and when thingz and tide changez - he too may be at the receiving end.

The reason Dhoni got the captaincy was that there WAS NO ONE READY to take the captaincy and there were pretty much none well qualified amongst those that wanted the captaincy (no matter what Yograj Singh feels). This is a de facto crown that Dhoni is wearing, and he shud respect it and not abuse the position.

I agree with you fineleg but I think he will learn along with other younsters how to handle the team and the media better.
DD, I'm sure the nuances of handling - he can learn. But he should learn humility and respect of privacy. Arrogance is what I dont like in what he is doing now...looks like success (in the field and off the field - the money, the sponsors, the adulation of public, girls etc) is getting to his head. handling media etc he can learn, yes. KEEP THE FEET FIRMLY ON THE GROUND! even though you achieve success!
I wanna change my vote!! the title of the thread confused me and I ended up voting NO! What I really meant to do was vote NO to the question- "Is Dhoni getting too arrogant for his own good, of late?" A very misleading thread title fineleg....
We'll count ur vote as Yes.
DD, I'm sure the nuances of handling - he can learn. But he should learn humility and respect of privacy. Arrogance is what I dont like in what he is doing now...looks like success (in the field and off the field - the money, the sponsors, the adulation of public, girls etc) is getting to his head. handling media etc he can learn, yes. KEEP THE FEET FIRMLY ON THE GROUND! even though you achieve success!
He is a little too outspoken. What I like in him is that he says what he sees plus he honestly believes that he is playing with grown ups and they should treat it like a profession and work on their game. I have never seen him praise SRT or Sehwag when they have not performed well (even in interviews), at the same time he mentions sree , I sharma or R sharma when they play well. The objection I have with him is regarding the way he speaks the truth. I.e. MY boys , I told them , I said this bla bla is not a good way to handle things. This results in "if we win , then my strategy worked" & "if we lost then the individual players are at fault". At the same time I think he should be able to fix this habit. There are things that he does very well like: Batting and keeping since he has become the captain , he handles media well (doesn’t get into Captain Vs Captain crap), believes in his side and gives them chances even if they fail once or twice , believes that they can beat the world champs & reminds everybody that any player can be replaced. To sum it up , all captains become a little arrogant (Ponting , Smith , Ganguly ) but as long as they can be on the winning side they don’t appear arrogant.
RS is a rookie .. how do you expect him to be treated on par with Sachin or Dravid ... or even Yuvraj for that matter :rolleyes: RS was definitely at fault there. And I want our captain to be arrogant to some extent ... like Ganguly and most other successful captains.
not saying RS shud be treated like SRT in terms of batting expectation - but in terms of being courteous to him, yes he deserves same courteousness - this is the usual 3 batsmen (runner) mess that happened - not like RS did not some out of the world stupid mistake.