Symonds and Gilly learning to love Twenty20 with a little monetary help

Mr. Wicket

(Seeing as the last thread I made on this accidentally got binned)

Twenty20 cricket yet to convince Gilchrist Edward Craig September 18, 2007 Adam Gilchrist, Australia's stand-in captain, admitted that Twenty20 was not a game he had taken to whole-heartedly following the defeat to Pakistan. When asked what he thought of the format, he was faint with his praise: "Er, yeh, yeh. It's um... well. The more I play it, I am starting to, not so much like it as a player, but love watching it." Before the tournament started, Gilchrist had said that it was good to play some international cricket that was not so serious. When Australia lost to Zimbabwe, Ricky Ponting demanded respect and the Australian machine had looked as well oiled as ever - until facing Pakistan. "I am being more and more sold on why the public is so taken by this format. One over can really change a game, and in a tight game it is crucial. I am still not totally convinced that over the short term, the skills get to come through as much as they do in the longer formats, so that is evening the games up which is a great spectacle, but we'll see over time. We're all still learning with it." He admits that Australia's preparation, at least, was not as serious as it might have been: "[That we haven't hit the stumps when fielding] probably shows we have not put in the time. We could have cut our break short by a month and come here peaking, but to be honest, at the time when we made those decisions we didn't see it as a priority leading into a big run of cricket. "We are taking it seriously. I am not sure what the perception is but we are. Now that we are here, we definitely want to win, and we are doing everything we can. We are not shirking this as something we are not caring about." Edward Craig is deputy editor of The Wisden Cricketer © Cricinfo
Symonds wary of Twenty20 appeal Andrew McGlashan in Cape Town September 19, 2007 Andrew Symonds is the latest Australian to give Twenty20 a lukewarm response the day after Adam Gilchrist said he wasn't enjoying the format too much as a player. Australia face a must-win match against Sri Lanka at Newlands to stay in the tournament, having already been beaten by Zimbabwe and Pakistan. The team moves on to India for a seven-match one-day series following the World Twenty20 and the feeling persists that the Australians are not seeing this tournament as a major part of their season. "It's probably like a sort of conditioning for us," Symonds said. "We've had a four-month lay-off period and it has been a good way to move back for the seven matches in India." For a team used to ruling the roost, Australia's advantage has been shrunk in the shortened game, something that has affected their mindset. "It's a frustrating game because you can be beaten by the lesser sides and they have to be good for a shorter period of time," Symonds said. "That's why he [Gilchrist] is probably finding it frustrating and I'd probably have to agree with him as well. "We realised early on that the shorter the game is the bigger chance of the lesser sides beating the bigger sides. So I suppose it means you have to play well for your full 20 overs. Over the course of three or four overs the game can turn on its head which is why people are enjoying it so much. It doesn't become such a one-sided affair and the underdog can [come out on top]." Asked whether he was enjoying the experience, Symonds paused before adding: "It's a different type of enjoyment. At least in one-day cricket you have a chance of working your way back into the game and in Test cricket over a much longer period. I'll have to play more of it to see how much I really enjoy it." Symonds was expected to be well-suited to Twenty20 with his awesome striking power, useful bowling and sharp fielding, but he hasn't quite hit the heights so far. In three innings he has made 64 runs (although his strike-rate is a handy 142) and he's bowled 8.1 overs for 76. "Any ball can go out of the park so you need a bit of luck and it makes bowling quite difficult," he said. "Your skills are really put to the test, especially for a part-time bowler." He is realistic enough to realise that Twenty20 is rapidly growing and is only going to expand over the next few years. But although the manner in which he plays may suggest otherwise, Symonds remains a traditionalist and hopes that, however powerful Twenty20 becomes, it doesn't detract from the other formats. "With the other bodies coming in it is going to make the cricketing world very competitive and the best players are going to be heavily sought after. Hopefully we don't lose the purist's side and traditional side but by the same token I think it will be healthy if cricket goes into the echelons of where soccer is going. But Test cricket is the ultimate challenge." Andrew McGlashan is a staff writer on Cricinfo © Cricinfo
Hypocrisy 101 at force here, driven by the IPL dollars. Interesting how Symonds has been the one most vocally complaining about the Pakistan tour, writing columns in the media about the subject and just so happens to be among the most chased IPL players - who now suddenly isn't knocking T20 either. And Gilchrist seems to be liking this new format as well. Quite the change from the begrudging 'yeah, we'll play but the tests are more important' mentality less than 6 months ago.

What's so shameful about these comments . They like to make money , so they are singing a different tune now. Big deal !:alberteinstein: BTW , We have posters here who used to claim that they won't watch these masala matches but would be surprisingly active in the message board when the game is on . So I guess , change of hearts is good for both players and fans....

What's so shameful about these comments . They like to make money ' date=' so they are singing a different tune now. [/quote'] They liked the money EVEN THEN (when they made those 'blood is boiling' commentz). They did not like the money then, and have changed and now like the money, is it? Jealous and abusive tartz they are