Indian Premier League IPL - Dates, Itinerary and team discussion

Feed

What is the IPL? The Indian Premier League is a professional twenty20 cricket league created and promoted by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and backed by the International Cricket Council. Franchises The IPL works on a franchise-system based on the American style of hiring players and transfers. These franchises were put for auction, where the highest bidder won the rights to own the team, representing each city. The auction took place on January 24 2008 and the total base price for the auction was US$400 million. The auction went on to fetch US$723.59 million. The Mumbai franchise owned by Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) was the most expensive franchise - with the fetching USD 111.9 million closely followed by Vijay Mallya's United Breweries - which paid USD 111.6 million for the Bangalore franchise. Media house Deccan Chronicle won the Hyderabad chapter of the IPL for US$107 million, while India Cements' Chennai franchise costing USD 91 million. Bollywood also made its presence felt with two of its leading stars bagging the ownership of their respective teams - Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi Chawla's Red Chillies Entertainment buying out Kolkata for USD 75.09, while Priety Zinta and her beau Ness Wadia bought the Mohali team for USD 76 million. GMR, the infrastructure development group which who are involved in a project for revamping the Delhi airport, bagged the ownership of the Delhi team for USD 84 million and the Emerging Media, consisting of its CEO Fraser Castellino, Manoj Badale and Lachlan Murdoch and other investors won the rights for the Jaipur franchise for USD 67 million. More... What is the IPL? The Indian Premier League is a professional twenty20 cricket league created and promoted by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and backed by the International Cricket Council. Franchises The IPL works on a franchise-system based on the American style of hiring players and transfers. These franchises were put for auction, where the highest bidder won the rights to own the team, representing each city. The auction took place on January 24 2008 and the total base price for the auction was US$400 million. The auction went on to fetch US$723.59 million. The Mumbai franchise owned by Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) was the most expensive franchise - with the fetching USD 111.9 million closely followed by Vijay Mallya's United Breweries - which paid USD 111.6 million for the Bangalore franchise. Media house Deccan Chronicle won the Hyderabad chapter of the IPL for US$107 million, while India Cements' Chennai franchise costing USD 91 million. Bollywood also made its presence felt with two of its leading stars bagging the ownership of their respective teams - Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi Chawla's Red Chillies Entertainment buying out Kolkata for USD 75.09, while Priety Zinta and her beau Ness Wadia bought the Mohali team for USD 76 million. GMR, the infrastructure development group which who are involved in a project for revamping the Delhi airport, bagged the ownership of the Delhi team for USD 84 million and the Emerging Media, consisting of its CEO Fraser Castellino, Manoj Badale and Lachlan Murdoch and other investors won the rights for the Jaipur franchise for USD 67 million. Media rights On January 14th, the IPL announced that a consortium consisting of India's Sony Entertainment Television network and Singapore-based WSG (World Sports Group) had secured the media rights for the Indian Premier League. The deal has a duration of 10 years at a cost of USD 1.026 billion. And as a part of the deal, the consortium will pay the BCCI USD 918 million for the telecast rights and USD 108 million for the promotion of the tournament. Title Sponsorship Rights Gurgaon based real-estate developer DLF Universal secured the exclusive rights to the Indian Premier League's title sponsorship worth INR 200 crore (over US$50 million) for a period of five years.

Guest HariSampath

MINUS Overseas players, how does this look ? Please dont merge this thread Mods...this is for the sake of Indian cricketers and U-22 players. Please take a look at the teams: If you take away the Overseas players ( only 4 allowed in a 11), who are the rest of the 7 players ?? THIS will be the key to winning in the IPL. The franchise sides are required to have 4 "local" players , and additionally 4 U-22 players. If 7 of the playing 11 have to be players from these categories, it is logical to assume that apart from the International strength, these local players / Indian players/U-22 players who are going to make up 7 out of the playing 11 , will play a vital role in the performance of ANY team. Given that, now see how it looks for all teams. The Red coded players are the Indian players out of whom ( plus U-22) each side has to field 7 players in the 11. How many teams have good enough "RED players" , and how many of them ?? Just count the REDS who are very good in Limited overs, and then we will have a good look at how the teams are balanced . Jaipur Shane Warne , Graeme Smith , Younis Khan, Kamran Akmal , Yusuf Pathan, Mohammad Kaif, Munaf Patel , Justin Langer Chennai MS Dhoni , Muttiah Muralitharan, Matthew Hayden , Jacob Oram , Stephen Fleming, Parthiv Patel , Joginder Sharma , Albie Morkel , Suresh Raina, Makhaya Ntini , Michael Hussey Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya , Harbhajan Singh, Shaun Pollock , Robin Uthappa , Lasith Malinga , Dilhara Fernando , Loots Bosman Bangalore Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble , Jacques Kallis , Zaheer Khan , Mark Boucher , Cameron White , Wasim Jaffer , Dale Steyn , Nathan Bracken , Shivnarine Chanderpaul Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist , Andrew Symonds , Herschelle Gibbs , Shahid Afridi , Scott Styris , VVS Laxman, Rohit Sharma , Chamara Silva , RP Singh, Chaminda Vaas , Nuwan Zoysa Mohali Yuvraj Singh , Mahela Jayawardene , Kumar Sangakkara , Brett Lee , Sreesanth , Irfan Pathan , Ramesh Powar , Piyush Chawla , Simon Katich, Ramnaresh Sarwan Kolkata Sourav Ganguly , Shoaib Akhtar , Ricky Ponting , Brendon McCullum , Chris Gayle , Ajit Agarkar , David Hussey , Ishant Sharma , Murali Kartik , Umar Gul , Tatenda Taibu Delhi Virender Sehwag , Daniel Vettori , Shoaib Malik , Mohammad Asif , AB de Villiers , Dinesh Karthik , Farveez Maharoof , Tillakaratne Dilshan , Manoj Tiwary , Gautam Gambhir , Glenn McGrath

Guest HariSampath

Again, purely based on the Reds, looks like Mumbai, Chennai and Mohali are the sides who have maximum GOOD Indian players for T20...and we need to add the Int'l strength to these sides now, plus take into account how the local player/U-22 strengths are for these sides.

Guest HariSampath

Remember that the REDS plus fringe state players/U-22 have to add up to 7 players. Chennai has Dhoni, Raina and Jogi..ALL proven players in limited overs...Mumbai has Sachin, Harbhajan and Uthappa, probably the best Reds...but again, Mohali is not too bad either, Yuvraj, Sreesanth, Irfan and Piyush. The key thing is that if any side has to field 2-3 fringe / U-22 players , apart from Reds, then Chennai has a great bank of limited overs players , who have WON major tournaments in limited overs for Chennai last 2 years...example ..Badri, Anirudh Srikkanth, Yomahesh, Vidyut etc..so combining, Int'ls plus Reds, plus fringe/local/U-22 Chennai looks very very strong

Guest HariSampath
Who has the best Indian picks can be argued' date=' but I have no doubt about the worst, It is Bengaluru[/quote'] Forget about Bangalore...they are a joke, and are out of the tournament already....just there to give points to other sides...6 players from bangalore have to be hidden in the field ( and from the media)...and with Dravid, Kallis, and Jaffer , 3 of the top 4..Bangalore is probably the comedy track in the IPL cup.

I agree Chennai has good players to pick . Some of the players who I guess will have a lookin are I am worried about my team Hyderabad, with most of the good ones joining ICL. I can only think of Raviteja and not much talent from Andhra and Orissa also. Bengaluru will definitely pick Ayyappa and Pawan their new ball pair and I don't see any other outstanding talent their. Mumbai will have Rahane, who I think is India material, Abhishek Nayar a good allrounder who suits this format, may be Iqbal Abdullah. Jaipur will have Pankaj Singh of Rajasthan and Amit Singh of Baroda. Mohali will have VRV Kolkatta -? Delhi - As I stated earlier has good options

I like Hyderabad team. If I were to bet my money, I would put on them. Adam Gilchrist , Andrew Symonds , Herschelle Gibbs , Shahid Afridi and Rohit Sharma. I think this combo can take any bowling and make 150+. Bowling may look little weak, but they are good hitters of the ball.

Guest HariSampath

Its gonna be Chennai and Hyderabad mostly....maybe some challenge from Mohali and Mumbai, but the rest are really fighting between 6th, 7th and 8th places...

Hari you are hyping Chennai unnecessarily. Other teams also have good local talent. And Chennai doesn't have the best Indian players. Others have strong Indian players as well...I still hold that apart from Jaipur all other teams are good and injuries/availability/local talent is gonna decide a lot of things.