Ind ATG 11 batting

zen

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Looks like the angoothachhaap jaahil is foaming at the mouth again :hehe: . This is what happens when you apply dubious filters in pursuit of an agenda. The question remains, if stats in matches won are important, how come Sunny is the first choice in an AT Indian XI let alone the World XI when he only averaged 43.97 in matches won. People like Vishy and Vengsarkar who played alongside Sunny averaged higher :dontknow:. Or is this another metric that you pull out of arse that doesn't apply to Sunny just like Avg*SR? :winky:

^  :lol:

Here goes the story of these underpaid losers:

@Jimmy Cliff

October 17, 2007

The dead-rubber dominators

^ :hysterical:   

"Both of Brian Lara's record-breaking innings - 375 and 400 against England in Antigua - came in Tests after West Indies had clinched the series in 1994 and England took it 3-0 in 2004. If you exclude the 18 dead games during Lara's career, his average drops from over 50 to 48.89. "

B/w 2004 to 2007, this is what happened:

View overall figures [change view]
Primary team India remove India from query or West Indies remove West Indies from query
Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query or England remove England from query or India remove India from query or New Zealand remove New Zealand from query or Pakistan remove Pakistan from query or South Africa remove South Africa from query or Sri Lankaremove Sri Lanka from query or West Indies remove West Indies from query
Start of match date between 1 Jan 2004 and 1 Jan 2008 remove between 1 Jan 2004 and 1 Jan 2008 from query
Ordered by runs scored (descending)
Page 1 of 2 Showing 1 - 50 of 66   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO RunsDescending HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
BC Lara (WI) 2004-2006 28 52 1 2823 400* 55.35 4557 61.94 10 5 7 344 26 investigate this query
R Dravid (INDIA) 2004-2007 35 62 9 2737 270 51.64 6646 41.18 6 15 2 340 5 investigate this query
S Chanderpaul (WI) 2004-2007 33 61 8 2709 203* 51.11 5948 45.54 7 14 3 300 9 investigate this query
V Sehwag (INDIA) 2004-2007 28 49 2 2553 309 54.31 3303 77.29 7 7 7 368 22 investigate this query
CH Gayle (WI) 2004-2007 32 60 1 2453 317 41.57 3642 67.35 4 16 3 369 29 investigate this query
VVS Laxman (INDIA) 2004-2007 34 56 10 1889 178 41.06 4065 46.46 4 12 3 263 1 investigate this query
SR Tendulkar (INDIA) 2004-2007 29 48 6 1864 241* 44.38 3743 49.79 3 12 1 253 4 investigate this query

So out of depression, these losers wrote an article to undermine Lara .... and now immediately lose their mental balance when they see someone rating Lara > Tendulkar :hysterical:

Edited by zen
1 minute ago, zen said:

Here goes the story of these underpaid losers:

@Jimmy Cliff

October 17, 2007

"Both of Brian Lara's record-breaking innings - 375 and 400 against England in Antigua - came in Tests after West Indies had clinched the series in 1994 and England took it 3-0 in 2004. If you exclude the 18 dead games during Lara's career, his average drops from over 50 to 48.89. "

B/w 2004 to 2007, this is what happened:

Primary team India remove India from query or West Indies remove West Indies from query
Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query or England remove England from query or India remove India from query or New Zealand remove New Zealand from query or Pakistan remove Pakistan from query or South Africa remove South Africa from query or Sri Lankaremove Sri Lanka from query or West Indies remove West Indies from query
Start of match date between 1 Jan 2004 and 1 Jan 2008 remove between 1 Jan 2004 and 1 Jan 2008 from query
Ordered by runs scored (descending)
Page 1 of 2 Showing 1 - 50 of 66   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO RunsDescending HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
BC Lara (WI) 2004-2006 28 52 1 2823 400* 55.35 4557 61.94 10 5 7 344 26 investigate this query
R Dravid (INDIA) 2004-2007 35 62 9 2737 270 51.64 6646 41.18 6 15 2 340 5 investigate this query
S Chanderpaul (WI) 2004-2007 33 61 8 2709 203* 51.11 5948 45.54 7 14 3 300 9 investigate this query
V Sehwag (INDIA) 2004-2007 28 49 2 2553 309 54.31 3303 77.29 7 7 7 368 22 investigate this query
CH Gayle (WI) 2004-2007 32 60 1 2453 317 41.57 3642 67.35 4 16 3 369 29 investigate this query
VVS Laxman (INDIA) 2004-2007 34 56 10 1889 178 41.06 4065 46.46 4 12 3 263 1 investigate this query
SR Tendulkar (INDIA) 2004-2007 29 48 6 1864 241* 44.38 3743 49.79 3 12 1 253 4 investigate this query

So out of depression, these losers wrote an article to undermine Lara .... and now immediately lose their mental balance when they see someone rating Lara > Tendulkar :hysterical:

Looks like the angoothachhap has completely lost his marbles after being reminded of his atrocious inconsistency again. None of the cherry picked data from specific years is gonna change that Tendulkar scored nearly 4k runs more at a higher average than the dead rubber bully in games that matter most overall :hehe:.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Looks like the angoothachhap has completely lost his marbles after being reminded of his atrocious inconsistency again. None of the cherry picked data from specific years is gonna change that Tendulkar scored nearly 4k runs more at a higher average than the dead rubber bully in games that matter most overall :hehe:.

working an underpaid job like a loser at crapinfo and hitting the keyboard makes you qualified to talk about data is like an empty vessel making some noise :hysterical:

Edited by zen
12 minutes ago, zen said:

working an underpaid job like a loser at crapinfo and hitting the keyboard makes you qualified to talk about data is like an empty vessel making some noise :hysterical:

Wait, it looks like the village idiot literally thought I wrote the article :hysterical:. No wonder the buffoon talks about Avg*SR and stats in matches won while picking Gavaskar in an AT World XI.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
50 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Wait, it looks like the village idiot literally thought I wrote the article :hysterical:. No wonder the buffoon talks about Avg*SR and stats in matches won while picking Gavaskar in an AT World XI.

Does not matter as a loser subscribes to a loser as posted below :hysterical: ..... Ah ha, so I have brought the troll out, the troll is trying to attack other Indian greats like Gavaskar :lol:

buddy, you are displaying lack of  cricket knowledge by assuming that openers and middle order batsmen have to have same criteria for selection (and w/o understanding strategy and tactics) .... no wonder you put forward loser ideas such as "dead rubber" 

Yeah this article at Cricinfo is something I wrote in my dreams :winky:.

Batsmen have boosted their career records by scoring heavily in matches inconsequential to the series

47 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Anytime. Be careful about what stats you post though. Might get another bitch slap like the ones you have received so far.

look who is talking! .... first you have not been able to address what is posted. Then you put forward that loser article .... don't forget that people with beggar bowls like you don't slap others :lol:  

I sense a fraud here .... will be fun 

Edited by zen
5 minutes ago, zen said:

Does not matter as a loser subscribes to a loser as posted below :hysterical: ..... Ah ha, so I have brought the troll out, the troll is attacking other Indian greats like Gavaskar :lol:

Why would I need to insult Sunny? You posted numbers in wins for Lara and SRT. The point is, if this stat is important, how is Sunny a part of your World XI considering he averages merely 43+ in matches won. The excuse of being in a weak team doesn't apply here as Vishy/Vengsarkar averaged more :thinking:. Of course I am not exactly expecting a straight answer from a disingenuous twerp like you. But it's fun to throw back your own retarded logic back at you :hehe:.

13 minutes ago, zen said:

look who is talking! .... first you have not been able to address what is posted. Then you have subscribed to that loser article .... don't forget that people with beggar bowls like you don't slap others :lol:  

I sense a fraud here .... will be fun 

I exposed your dubious filters on the first page itself. The rest of the thread has been about you throwing your toys out of your pram when Lara was exposed as a dead rubber bully. I can see how fun it has already been for you so far :hysterical:.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Why would I need to insult Sunny? You posted numbers in wins for Lara and SRT. The point is, if this stat is important, how is Sunny a part of your World XI considering he averages merely 43+ in matches won. The excuse of being in a weak team doesn't apply here as Vishy/Vengsarkar averaged more :thinking:. Of course I am not exactly expecting a straight answer from a disingenuous twerp like you. But it's fun to throw back your own retarded logic back at you :hehe:.

Dude, is this a serious post? I posted a bunch of stats across various parameters for Lara vs Tendulkar, a topic you dragged in :hysterical: 

It appears as if you are unable to comprehend.  For e.g. if I am picking fast bowlers based on SR, and if I pick an off spinner over a leg spinner who has relatively better SR because the other team has a bunch of left handers and some of its players have weakness against off spin, Crapinfo's data gets corrupt and ask me about my logic for not using the SR to pick the leg spinner  :facepalm:

Are you expecting me to pick the top 5-6 batsmen based on a single criteria irrespective of the positions and roles they play? 

Your points are too naive and well below where a meaningful conversation can take place. This is like having to explain basics to you  

I exposed your dubious filters on the first page itself. The rest of the thread has been about you throwing your toys out of your pram when Lara was exposed as a dead rubber bully. I can see how fun it has already been for you so far 

There are NO dubious filters (I even took the time to explain that nicely) .... only you who is framing them as "dubious" (which does not count) :winky:  

This thread is not about Lara and Tendulkar. Since an Ind batting line up consisting of many Ind ATG struggled against good bowlers (data is provided on this thread), my concern was how would they cope vs an even powerful ATG bowling line up in a theoretically scenario. And that is what the thread is about, along with discussing the ATG Ind 11  

As for Lara vs Tendulkar,  I do not care about loser points such as dead rubbers (and I already explained why). It is a meaningless exercise for me ....  As for the article that you posted, it does not even have Tendulkar's numbers iirc, which puts a question mark over its objective  (and I do not go by some averages posted like Ten avg X, ABC avg Y. I go by links to the stats provided like I do). Because the criteria is foolish, I did not even bother to ask for links or validations  

So once again what is all these complaining and concerns? If you overlook or do not understand the points and the basics, despite explaining them to you to a certain extent, the options are limited my friend  :dontknow:

Edited by zen
18 minutes ago, zen said:

Dude, is this a serious post? I posted a bunch of stats across various parameters for Lara vs Tendulkar, a topic you dragged in :hysterical: 

It appears as if you are unable to comprehend.  For e.g. if I am picking fast bowlers based on SR, and if I pick an off spinner over a leg spinner with relatively better SR because the other team has a bunch of left handers and some of its players have weakness against off spin, Crapinfo's data gets corrupt and ask me about my logic for not using the SR to pick the leg spinner  :facepalm:

Are you expecting me to pick the top 5-6 batsmen based on a single criteria irrespective of the positions and role they play? 

Your points are too naive and well below where a meaningful conversation can take place. This is like having to explain basics to you  

Of course it's a serious post. It seems you need me to spell out everything. So let me explain. You've posted a stat in matches won for two middle order/top order batsmen here. I am assuming you have done it because you take it seriously. Now if that is the case, there is no way one can justify picking Sunny in an all-time side because there are other ATG openers out there who were not only on par with Sunny as in terms of overall records but also happened to have much better records in matches won. Capiche? Remember we are only comparing Sunny with other openers here so the question of roles being different doesn't even arise. Otherwise there is no point looking at that stat anyway if we are conveniently setting it aside for certain players for god knows what.

31 minutes ago, zen said:

As for Lara vs Tendulkar,  I do not care about loser points such as dead rubbers (and I already explained why). It is a meaningless exercise for me ....  As for the article that you posted, it does not even have Tendulkar's numbers iirc (and I do not go by some averages posted like Ten avg X, ABC avg Y. I go by links to the stats provided like I do). Because the criteria is foolish, I did not even bother to ask for links or validations  

So once again what is all these complaining and concerns? If you overlook or not understand the points and the basics, despite explaining them to you to a certain extent, the options are limited  :dontknow:

You could care less about those points just as I could care less about what Lara did in dead rubbers. The thing I questioned initially was how certain bowlers were left out here for "strategic reasons" (as if anyone considers Pollock ahead of Steyn when it comes to Saffa bowlers and how matches involving Warne were conveniently filtered by including McGrath whereas all games involving Murali were included.) The filtering based on live Tests is to show how similar stats-picking can be done to prove how Lara had fallen short of SRT in games that matter. Now even if you find the criteria "foolish", to me it's no different from other filtering based on non-minnow stats or stats in 4th innings and so on. If you've not realized already, it's not about whether you prefer Lara or Chanderpaul or whoever to SRT, it's more about the consistency of the arguments/facts being made/shown. It appears to me that you're basically making up stuff as you go along as long as the results favour Lara over Tendulkar. But at the same time ready to dump the same criteria when it comes to other players.

8 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Of course it's a serious post. It seems you need me to spell out everything. So let me explain. You've posted a stat in matches won for two middle order/top order batsmen here. I am assuming you have done it because you take it seriously. Now if that is the case, there is no way one can justify picking Sunny in an all-time side because there are other ATG openers out there who were not only on par with Sunny as in terms of overall records but also happened to have much better records in matches won. Capiche? Remember we are only comparing Sunny with other openers here so the question of roles being different doesn't even arise. Otherwise there is no point looking at that stat anyway if we are conveniently setting it aside for certain players for god knows what.

Some of the stats are a part of USP stats that highlight areas where a player is ahead. And therefore may or may not have a great influence on the eventual selection (as the player is already selected based on some other criteria). Like most fans of the game, I do not have a structured process where I pick players based purely on the information generated by a spreadsheet .... For the purpose of the discussion, if I were to design a rough structure, it would be something like the one below:

• Performance (Average vs top sides for example) 
  • Performance vs peers
  • USP, since most batsmen are more or less in the same bracket (ability to hit big 100s, score quickly, ability to dominate both pace and spin, reputation, performance vs strong bowling attacks, etc.) 

If I were to use the structure on my ATG 11: 

• Gavaskar (Strong performance, performance vs WI,  good vs both pace and spin, can hold an end up so strokemakers can play relatively more freely, etc.)

Below Gavaskar among his peers: 

Primary team India remove India from query
Start of match date between 1 Jan 1971 and 1 Jan 1988 remove between 1 Jan 1971 and 1 Jan 1988 from query
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 2000 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 2000 from query
Ordered by batting average (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 7 of 7   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending 100 50 0  
SM Gavaskar 1971-1987 125 214 16 10122 236* 51.12 34 45 12 investigate this query
DB Vengsarkar 1976-1987 98 158 22 6256 166 46.00 17 30 12 investigate this query
M Amarnath 1976-1987 67 109 9 4358 138 43.58 11 24 11 investigate this query
GR Viswanath 1971-1983 87 147 9 5746 222 41.63 13 33 9 investigate this query
RJ Shastri 1981-1987 57 84 11 2525 142 34.58 7 9 7 investigate this query
N Kapil Dev 1978-1987 91 131 12 3775 163 31.72 5 21 12 investigate this query
SMH Kirmani 1976-1986 88 124 22 2759 102 27.04 2 12 7 investigate this query

• Viv Richards (Strong performance as a top order batsman. Reputation as a stroke maker, a foil to Gavaskar's batting style)

Below Viv as a top order batsman:

Records type batting analysis [change type]
View career summary [change view]
Batting position between 1 and 3 remove between 1 and 3 from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Career averages
  Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 0  
unfiltered 1974-1991 121 182 12 8540 291 50.23 24 45 10 Profile
filtered 1976-1986 47 63 2 3787 291 62.08 13 16 2

• Bradman (Avg of 100. Performance vs peers. Reputation. Statistical outlier) 

• Lara (the one we have debated the most, performance vs his peers, ability to hit big 100s, ability to score quickly, Excellent vs both pace and spin, an example of a test batsman who can win matches with the bat, etc.) 

Below Lara among his peers

Primary team West Indies remove West Indies from query
Start of match date between 1 Jan 1990 and 1 Jan 2007 remove between 1 Jan 1990 and 1 Jan 2007 from query
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 2000 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 2000 from query
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 11 of 11   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0  
BC Lara 1990-2006 126 224 6 11517 400* 52.83 19211 59.95 32 47 17 investigate this query
S Chanderpaul 1994-2006 91 159 20 6330 203* 45.53 14733 42.96 13 39 10 investigate this query
DL Haynes 1990-1994 31 56 8 2147 167 44.72 4518 47.52 6 8 3 investigate this query
RB Richardson 1990-1995 41 70 5 2629 182 40.44 5323 49.38 6 14 5 investigate this query
JC Adams 1992-2001 52 87 16 2867 208* 40.38 7480 38.32 5 14 7

• The combined average of the next 4 batsmen is 43
  • Lara averages 53 (+10)
  • Avg difference b/w #1 and #2 is 7

• and so on for other positions

Since we have debated Tendulkar for the spot:

Below Tendulkar among his peers 

Primary team India remove India from query
Start of match date between 1 Jan 1989 and 1 Jan 2013 remove between 1 Jan 1989 and 1 Jan 2013 from query
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 10 of 10   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending 100 50 0  
SR Tendulkar 1989-2012 178 297 27 13907 241* 51.50 43 63 13 investigate this query
V Sehwag 2001-2012 94 165 4 8124 319 50.45 23 28 16 investigate this query
R Dravid 1996-2012 147 261 27 11726 270 50.11 30 57 6 investigate this query
VVS Laxman 1996-2012 125 213 32 8384 281 46.32 16 55 14 investigate this query
M Azharuddin 1989-2000 69 103 6 4357 192 44.91 16 15 4

• The combined average of the next 4 batsmen is 48
  • Tendulkar averages 51 (+3) 
  • Avg difference b/w #1 and #2 is 1 

You could care less about those points just as I could care less about what Lara did in dead rubbers. The thing I questioned initially was how certain bowlers were left out here for "strategic reasons" (as if anyone considers Pollock ahead of Steyn when it comes to Saffa bowlers and how matches involving Warne were conveniently filtered by including McGrath whereas all games involving Murali were included.) The filtering based on live Tests is to show how similar stats-picking can be done to prove how Lara had fallen short of SRT in games that matter. Now even if you find the criteria "foolish", to me it's no different from other filtering based on non-minnow stats or stats in 4th innings and so on. If you've not realized already, it's not about whether you prefer Lara or Chanderpaul or whoever to SRT, it's more about the consistency of the arguments/facts being made/shown. It appears to me that you're basically making up stuff as you go along as long as the results favour Lara over Tendulkar. But at the same time ready to dump the same criteria when it comes to other players.

This discussion is about the USP of the players .... I have already picked Lara as aforementioned .... This section is more about USP factors since all greats players have great numbers .... These may or may not influence the overall selection and could be there to highlight areas where a player shines 

For the bowling attack, my benchmark pair is McGrath + Warne, which I think is a great example of a bowling attack with variety in its generation .... Addendums include other top bowlers of 90s such as Donald, who led the SA pace dominated attack, and Murali, who is among the ATG spinners and an example of a lone wolf attack at times and a leader of an attack whose strength was spin esp. when playing in SL .... Pollock, another bowler who started in 90s, I added to increase the sample size esp. since SA is a force (Note Donald + Pollock has a relatively small sample size for Ind players, when comparing it with non-Ind players). Later, I did Donald + Pollock as well 

So against the basket that includes McGrath + Warne (benchmark), Donald + Pollock and Murali, below is the status: 

image.png.f361f60906a23a6c9f7b48cd0630002b.png

• Avg difference is significant here. Even if it were similar, it would not matter as Lara has already been picked based on other factors 
  • Avg * SR, is another USP metric. Here it is not required as the avg difference is significant. But it is there to complete the table 
  • Sample size is good too with 50+ innings so the above basket is a good representative of such performances 

At times, myths are propagated against players who compete with Sachin. For e.g. Lara is relatively inconsistent. The USP stats can show that he is equally consistent and in fact scored more runs as seen below: 

Excluding BD and Zim, Lara has played 224 innings: 

Primary team West Indies remove West Indies from query
Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query or England remove England from query or India remove India from query or New Zealand remove New Zealand from query or Pakistan remove Pakistan from query or South Africa remove South Africa from query or Sri Lankaremove Sri Lanka from query
ulOrdered by default (ascending)
Career averages
  Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
unfiltered 1990-2006 131 232 6 11953 400* 52.88 19753 60.51 34 48 17 1559 88 Profile
filtered 1990-2006 126 224 6 11517 400* 52.83 19211 59.95 32 47 17 1504 81

Similarly, Tendulkar at his 224th inning vs these sides:

Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query or England remove England from query or New Zealand remove New Zealand from query or Pakistan remove Pakistan from query or South Africa remove South Africa from query or Sri Lanka remove Sri Lanka from query or West Indies remove West Indies from query
Start of match date less than or equal to 13 Aug 2008 remove less than or equal to 13 Aug 2008 from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
Career averages
  Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 0  
unfiltered 1989-2013 200 329 33 15921 248* 53.78 51 68 14 Profile
filtered 1989-2008 136 224 21 10403 241* 51.24 33 46 13

• This is apples to apples at the completion of their respective 224 innings mark
  • They have the same # of 50+ scores with Lara having a 50 more, while Tendulkar has a 100 more. Therefore, both of them are equally consistent 
  • Lara has scored 1114 more! (highlights the ability to score bigger 100s) 
  • Lara averages 53 with just 6 not outs; Tendulkar averages 51 with 21 not outs 

• Is the above a fool proof method or a holy grail for selecting players in an ATG 11? Probably not. But it works and serves the purpose 
  • Can a more robust system be designed? Probably yes. And for e.g., if I were asked to do it in a professional capacity, who knows, I could design an even more robust system. But for our discussions here, this works perfectly fine 

I hope the above addresses your concerns! 

Edited by zen