Dhoni's gloves controversy

Feed

Mahendra Singh Dhoni was asked to change his wicketkeeping gloves during India's CB Series match against Australia in Sydney after it was found that the webbing between the thumb and the forefinger didn't meet the specifications laid out in the playing conditions. More... Dhoni asked to change gloves Nagraj Gollapudi in Sydney February 24, 2008 Mahendra Singh Dhoni sports the offending gloves before he was asked to remove them © Getty Images Mahendra Singh Dhoni was asked to change his wicketkeeping gloves during India's CB Series match against Australia in Sydney after it was found that the webbing between the thumb and the forefinger didn't meet the specifications laid out in the playing conditions. Ian Healy, the former Australian wicketkeeper and now one of the commentators for Channel 9, later explained to Cricinfo that the webbing was clearly against the laws. "The law states the webbing needs to be flat whereas in this case the webbing was a curved one and also it had a vertical strap running across it." Minutes earlier Dhoni had pulled off a brilliant catch, diving to his right to intercept an inside edge from Adam Gilchrist off the bowling of Sreesanth. Law 40.2, which deal with the specifications for wicketkeepers' gloves, states that "if the wicketkeeper wears gloves, they shall have no webbing between the fingers except joining index finger and thumb, where webbing may be inserted as a means of support. If used, the webbing shall be (a) a single piece of non-stretch material which, although it may have facing material attached, shall have no reinforcement or tucks. (B) such that the top edge of the webbing (i) does not protrude beyond the straight line joining the top of the index finger to the top of the thumb; (ii) is taut when a hand wearing the glove has the thumb fully extended.

"Dhoni uses the same gloves as Gilchrist" Mumbai: Sunrising Sporting Goods Pvt. Ltd., a sister concern of Sareen Sports Industries and manufacturer of Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s wicket-keeping gloves — that raised eyebrows on account of unnatural cupping in the webbing — has rushed to the defence of the Indian captain. The firm’s director Virendra Sareen said, “The same gloves are also being used (under Puma brand name) by Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist. Then why are those gloves not illegal?†"We make gloves as per the standard specifications laid down by the International Cricket Council (ICC). ICC is wrong in calling them illegal.†Sareen came down heavily on Ian Healy who felt that the glove manufacturer deserved censure for landing Dhoni in trouble during the last clash between India and Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground. "I don't think Mahendra would have known, but his manufacturer would have, so that's where that one has gone astray," Healy said. Sareen clarified, "Due to the constant use of the gloves the webbing (the portion between the thumb and the first finger) may have loosened or widened. Dhoni should have argued on this, but possibly in order to avoid fine and ignite controversy, he may have agreed to change the pair immediately.†He also ruled out the possibilities of Dhoni’s gloves being 'secretly' modified or tampered with. "It is not possible. The second time stitching, if tampered with, can easily be visible," he reasoned. Earlier, Indian team manager Dr. Soni confirmed from Hobart that Dhoni has been using SS brand gloves and not the one made by a Melbourne-based company, Brooks, as was reported. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/dhoni-uses-the-same-gloves-as-gilchrist/29934-13.html

Guest HariSampath

What about these laws that are routinely violated in cricket. Bowling with any kind of material like strapping/plaster on the bowling hand below wrist is prohibited as bowlers can get a better grip on ball. But it is done all the time. Fielders cannot have any kind of protection including palm/fingers strapping below the wrists while fielding. Squash ball ( Gilchrist ). The MCC laws of cricket says that the squash ball is same as inner gloves and not illegal, but all cricket gear has to conform to dimensions and regulations and must be declared to the umpire. In this case Gilchrist must have either declared a squash ball as his inner gloves before the game or should have explained how it formed part of allowed protection gear as the function of a squash ball is not to prevent any injury to the hand ( law 42 that explains fair and unfair play and cricket equipment is also included in unfair play)

Guest HariSampath

Appendix D from "Laws of cricket" External protective equipment is any visible item of apparel worn for protection against external blows. For a batsman, items permitted are a helmet, external leg guards (batting pads), batting gloves and, if visible, forearm guards. For a fielder, only a helmet is permitted, except in the case of a wicket-keeper, for whom wicket-keeping pads and gloves are also permitted. Clothing - anything that a player is wearing that is not classed as external protective equipment, including such items as spectacles or jewellery, is classed as clothing, even though he may be wearing some items of apparel, which are not visible, for protection. A bat being carried by a batsman does not come within this definition of clothing. The bat - the following are to be considered as part of the bat the whole of the bat itself. the whole of a glove (or gloves) worn on a hand (or hands) holding the bat. the hand (or hands) holding the bat, if the batsman is not wearing a glove on that hand or on those hands. Equipment - a batsman's equipment is his bat, as defined above, together with any external protective equipment that he is wearing. According to the definitions in the Laws of cricket, a squash ball is neither an external protective equipment nor any piece of clothing or even internal protective equipment. So a squash ball is certainly illegal. Also , the definition of a "bat" means the wooden bat PLUS the gloves holding the bat. In this case as a squash ball is inside the batting glove, it becomes part of the bat and as per definition of a standard cricket bat, it becomes an illegal addendum to the definition of a cricket bat as per the laws of cricket, and hence attracts the provision of law 42 ( fair and unfair play)

Gilly defends Dhoni's gloves INDIA cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is guilty of nothing more than taking "too good a catch", according to wicketkeeping counterpart Adam Gilchrist. More... By Roger Vaughan February 28, 2008 INDIA cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is guilty of nothing more than taking "too good a catch", according to wicketkeeping counterpart Adam Gilchrist. The controversy continues over the gloves that Dhoni was using when he snared Gilchrist's wicket last Sunday at the SCG. Match referee Jeff Crowe ordered Dhoni to change the gloves after commentator and former keeper Ian Healy raised concerns on air. It was later ruled that the gloves were illegal and Dhoni was warned not to use them again before they were modified, inspected and cleared. But on Thursday night, the Indian manufacturer who makes gloves for Dhoni and Gilchrist said there was no difference between them. “They're illegal - the match referee said that,” Gilchrist said of the gloves Dhoni was using when he took an outstanding catch to dismiss the Australian. “That's not sour grapes from me, the match referee said they're illegal. “I've had my gloves checked, I've heard a rumour ... I do know that the guy who makes those gloves makes my gloves as well and I've had match referees check my gloves and they're fine. “Not for a moment am I insinuating Dhoni intentionally wore them out there - whether it's a manufacturing error, I'm not sure.” Gilchrist added his gloves are checked on average once every season. The problem with Dhoni's gloves were that there was too much webbing between the thumbs and forefingers. Officials cracked down on wicketkeeping gloves several years ago because, in Gilchrist's words, they were starting to resemble baseball mitts. “They're all hand-made, hand-stitched - they may have just used a little bit too much leather in that area,” Gilchrist said. “It's not a case of they tried to sneak back to the gloves of nine years ago that had (a) really big pouch. “I promise you, I'm not accusing anyone of that, in fact I know it's the opposite because it could happen that easily. “He was just too good for himself, Dhoni, he took too good a catch and exposed it, I suppose, the fact that there was a little discrepancy there.” Gilchrist stressed it was an easy mistake to make. “You get your gear, we're spoilt for choice, we just get gear, you just put it on, you train in it,” he said. “I don't think they were glaringly obvious to be different to what, say, I use at the moment but they were just a bit too big. And it was an outstanding catch.” AAP