Gambhir sizzles with a ton

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton Challeneger for one is were I was very impressed with him. I also do not think he had any technical probs. His probs were mental in that he would get to 30s playing nicely then try and do dhoni and smash it every were and get out. He has publicly acknowledged this mental error and said he has learnt his lessons. Hence stacking up loads of runs. He looked comfortable at crease in international cricket.

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton What you got against Uthappa predator? I dont think he is a test batter yet but as odi opener he is awesome. Very destructive. Yes seems to have weakness against short stuff as plant front foots. However, in last odi sl banged it in and he kept pulling and hooking it for 4 or 6. Maybe he has his own way of dealing with it. International bowlers are going to find it is not quite as simple as just banging it in against him. Big destructive knocks aginst Pak, WI, Eng and now SL show his worth. He is a must to open in WC. If he comes of in the final he could be reason we win.

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton I think scoring well in the Domestic cricket should not be given such a weightage for selection criteria once the player has been dropped. Comparing Gambhir and Uthappa, both had an opportunity to make their mark for Indian team but Gambhir failed to capitialise it. His weakness of getting out in slips is not new. Personally I have seen him playing but that was when he was starting to play for India under 19. After WC, he would have other chances for sure but just scoring a century against Haryana does not prove his worth above Uthappa

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton

Challeneger for one is were I was very impressed with him. I also do not think he had any technical probs. His probs were mental in that he would get to 30s playing nicely then try and do dhoni and smash it every were and get out. He has publicly acknowledged this mental error and said he has learnt his lessons. Hence stacking up loads of runs. He looked comfortable at crease in international cricket.
As you said, his failure to convert 30s into big score would also be a negative point http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerProgressBat_ODI.asp?PlayerId=3107&Year=2006

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton This is not a comparison on my part btwn the 2. Uthappa rightly deserves to be in ahead of GG in odis. Just simply pointing out GG's unluckiness not to get a run, especially in tests and in SA. He should be next in line IMO for tests ahead of Uthappa. He will grasp any chance of a run to oust Jaffer and even sehwag.

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton I hope Jaffer is ousted soon. And I don't like Uthappa's technique as a test opener. But then, Gambhir isn't perfect either. I had liked Shikhar Dhawan in Eurasia cup but I heard that he is mercurial and such temperamental players can't last long.

What you got against Uthappa predator? I dont think he is a test batter yet but as odi opener he is awesome. Very destructive. Yes seems to have weakness against short stuff as plant front foots. However, in last odi sl banged it in and he kept pulling and hooking it for 4 or 6. Maybe he has his own way of dealing with it. International bowlers are going to find it is not quite as simple as just banging it in against him. Big destructive knocks aginst Pak, WI, Eng and now SL show his worth. He is a must to open in WC. If he comes of in the final he could be reason we win.
Destructive knock vs PAK ? When did that happen ? I havent got anything against him; i just don't think he is good enough to play for India. Sure, he is getting runs on Indian pitches right now but as with most front-foot bullies he is bound to be shown up against better opposition on more sporting decks. He even hooks and pulls off his front-foot - flat-batting anything that rises; sure it will come off in the subcontinent but there is no way that kind of batting will work against a half-decent bowling attack. Gambhir has his flaws as well; but he plays more shots and is technically sound by comparision. His bat-speed reminds me of a younger Yuvraj Singh. He just needs to learn how to manage an innings from start to finish; a skill he will develop as he gains experience. He scored a brilliant hundred as early as his 6th ODI and then was unfairly dropped soon after.

yea but Laxman is a better batsmen' date=' and Laxman isnt even a bad fielder, that just myth created by the indian cricketing board. Hes not the quickest runner but he still can pick up singles. Being a better batsmen means a lot more, and besides Laxman is far more experienced and has more matchwinning abilities.[/quote'] i think this forum has seen enuf of laxman's abilities to play ODIs.. lets move on guys... laxman fans pls stop braggin abt lax and relax n watch the WC.. thts better for all of us... saves us frm readin stuffs abt laxman... phewwww
so, why can't gambhir fans (didn't even know he had any) do the same?

I hope Jaffer is ousted soon. .
Why ? Since making his comeback vs England, Jaffer has scored 789 runs @ 43.83 in the last 10 matches he has played; with 3 fifties and 3 hundreds. Those aren't cheap runs either - he has scored against two top class bowling attacks; England and SA. He is the best opener in India at the moment; currently even better than Sehwag.

Destructive knock vs PAK ? When did that happen ? .
I think dsr must be meaning to say his knock against Pak A in Eurasia cup, but I want to remind him that Uthappa was overshadowed by Dhawan in that match.
Gambhir has his flaws as well; but he plays more shots and is technically sound by comparision. His bat-speed reminds me of a younger Yuvraj Singh. He just needs to learn how to manage an innings from start to finish; a skill he will develop as he gains experience.
Gambhir is older than Yuvraj.

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton Rohan, can you tell me Where can u squeeze in laxman in the current line-up? This will probably be the WC line-up Uthappa Ganguly Dravid Tendulkar Yuvraj Sehwag Dhoni Agarkar Harbhajan Zaheer Munaf That bolded area is so crucial ( Sachin, Gangs, Sehwag and Yuv = 5th bowler ) laxman is a classy batsmeno doubt but he was left behind in the race man get over it...I will tell ya what, if all these guys fail..then u will hear "recall laxman"

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton feel sad for Gambhir not being picked for world cup but then the other 15 which are selected were also fine, our batting line up which was picked was good enuff, prolly one might have doubts about bowling, some suggesting ramesh powar over bajji, but then Gambhir doesnt fit there.. Uthappa edged him with better performance against lanka and windies compared to Gambhir who was given only 2 odis and performed well in first one.. not fair chance given but then well what else one can do..

Re: Gambhir sizzles with a ton I believe Gambir and S Dhawan both are good batsmen from Delhi. We could see a new set of players in the batting line up soon after gangully, tendulkar and dravid days: Gambir Uthappa S Dhawan Badrinath Yuvaraj Singh Dhoni And out of this Yuvaraj or Dhoni will be captian of the team