Pathan directed to play Deodhar trophy to prove fitness

King

Re: Pathan directed to play Deodhar trophy to prove fitness Pathan on sticky wicket? Mumbai, february 20: Just when you thought the World Cup jigsaw was finally set, there now seems to be a piece out of place. The 15 players to tour the West Indies may have been announced by the selectors earlier this month, but if indications are anything to go by then there could certainly be a last-minute chop and change. Irfan Pathan, the struggling all-rounder ? both in form and fitness ? remains a worry for the Indian think-tank, and if sources are to be believed then there will be a firm decision taken on whether he makes it to the Caribbean or not in the coming few days. For starters, says a senior board member, one has to take a look at the fact that Pathan is the only cricketer who has been advised to play in the Deodhar Trophy, for West Zone. ?He will be tested there, and if either form or fitness is in doubt, there?s a fair chance that he will stay back,?? says the official. The selectors, at the moment, aren?t sure who will replace Pathan if they are faced with a situation as complicated as this one. ?One thing is for sure, if he?s not fit or if he?s not bowling well, he will not go,?? says a senior selector. In the same breath, though, he cannot think of a possible replacement. The only all-rounders India can think of in Pathan?s place are Mumbai?s Ramesh Powar and Haryana?s Joginder Sharma. Powar?s chances are nil, given the fact that the team already has two spinners in Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble, while Sharma hasn?t quite been tested except for one match against the West Indies. Replacements, though, remain a far-fetched thought at the moment. Says the official: ?It is not as if it?s already been decided to drop him (Pathan). What we?re saying is that somebody who is lacking in form and fitness will certainly not go.?? Pathan has played only one match (against the West Indies) after being sent back from South Africa, in which he bowled seven overs to give away 43 runs and pick one wicket. The shoulder injury has been a continuing struggle for Pathan and the fact that despite being picked, he wasn?t found fit enough to play even a single one-dayer against the Sri Lankans has upset the board. ?John Gloster has been asked for a detailed report on Pathan?s injury status. But not just the report, his match-fitness will be seriously considered once again during the Deodhar Trophy game,?? says the selector. Pathan?s misery isn?t very different from that of Virender Sehwag whose prolonged struggle with the bat seems to be continuing. Sehwag managed another zero in Delhi?s Ranji Trophy one-dayer and continues to be in the same bracket as that of the Baroda bowler ahead of the all-important tour. The selectors, however, are of the view that form is something that can still click and the experience of the player helps in such situations. ?Therefore Sehwag is still not that big a worry. In Pathan?s case, he?s low on form which is just one aspect of it. The bigger worry is that he?s just not fit.?? ----------------------------------------------------------------- If Pathan doesn't click in the only Deodhar Trophy match that he plays, will he be dropped? I still doubt it!

Re: Pathan directed to play Deodhar trophy to prove fitness if hes unfit, i feel like VVS should replace him. We all know VVS deserves it over Powar. No need for Powar he hasnt real made a big sound in cricket yet, and besides we have 2 spinners, both world class, Harbhajan and Kumble. Its not like theres no part time spinners in the team we have Yuvraj, Tendulkar, Yuvraj. I feel like Powar is overhyped cricketer.

Re: Pathan directed to play Deodhar trophy to prove fitness

if hes unfit' date=' i feel like VVS should replace him. We all know VVS deserves it over Powar. No need for Powar he hasnt real made a big sound in cricket yet, and besides we have 2 spinners, both world class, Harbhajan and Kumble. Its not like theres no part time spinners in the team we have Yuvraj, Tendulkar, Yuvraj. I feel like Powar is overhyped cricketer.[/quote'] There ( Rohan) is.. Dude ur amazing.. i was damn irritated to read ur posts abt lax.. ur "Puzzy leking"comments on lax was really a pain in the arse... but now i start to feel sorry for u :Cry: .. u shud realy do somthing abt this disorder .. y dont u get treated for ur lax mania disease.. it ll do a world of good for both u and for us... sorry no offense meant.. :shrug:

Re: Pathan directed to play Deodhar trophy to prove fitness not a bad idea to replace pathan with laxman. he could be handy if we ever meet the aussies or if the pitches start acting difficult. btw there are no other allrounders (no powar is just round) to replace him. only other bowler would be RPS although that guy has been in and out of ODIs as well.

Re: Pathan directed to play Deodhar trophy to prove fitness I will be fully match-fit before World Cup: Pathan NEW DELHI: Beleaguered cricketer Irfan Pathan on Wednesday stoutly defended himself against criticism, saying he remained positive about a successful performance in the World Cup despite question marks over his form and fitness. "I have been answering these queries about the loss of in-swing and drop in pace for a long time now. I am focusing on maintaining a tight line and length in my bowling before looking for swing or pace," 22-year old Pathan said at a press conference here. "In-swing or out-swing, it all depends on various factors like weather conditions and the pitch. I am trying to remain positive and concentrate on picking up wickets for the team." ..... "I will be fully match-fit before the World Cup as we have four practice matches before the event gets underway," the youngster put up a brave front. Pathan said he might have been robbed off vital match practice by the niggle but took confidence from his creditable show in the Ranji Trophy for Baroda during the brief lay-off from the Indian team. "There is no substitute for match practice. We can bowl any number of balls in the nets but there is not substitute for bowling in a match situation," he said. Coach Greg Chappell famously said during India's visit to the West Indies last year that Pathan was low on confidence. The 58-year old former Australian captain has seen to it that Pathan had all help coming his way, including sessions with sports psychologist Rudi Webster and a number for former players like Andy Roberts, Jeff Thomson and Wasim Akram. Some have said that Pathan's has been a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth but the bowler himself denied it. "Cricket is a game where we cannot stop learning. I will keep on consulting everyone and listen to everybody's suggestion. But it is going to be up to me to decide what best suits my bowling," he said. There was the inevitable question about his role as an all-rounder. "I have said many times that my primary role is the team is that of a bowler. It is God's grace that I can also bat, and that is a bonus," Pathan said. Pathan offered a dead bat to a question on the delay in the signing of Player Contracts. "Wearing the Indian cap and jersey is motivation enough to perform at our best. We will work hard to do well and perform to our best in the World Cup," was his diplomatic response on the issue. ------------------------------------------------------------- He's putting up a brave front, I must say!

Re: Pathan directed to play Deodhar trophy to prove fitness This is what vengsarkar as said today.. Vengsarkar reasoned that it was too early to gauge Pathan's fitness on the basis of just one match. Pathan was part of the original 15-member squad but the selectors sprung a surprise when they warned that Pathan's selection wasn't guaranteed if his fitness wasn't upto scratch. "Irfan has not played for the last one month and needs to bowl more" Vengsarkar said. "There is not much time left for the World Cup and Pathan will be bowling in the nets and will also be playing in the warm-up matches before the World Cup begins." I think they r making a fool outa everyone.. y did they create so much hype on this thing and thereby giving some false hopes to the rejects (powar , rp singh) and needless puttin pressure on pathan.. this is total bullshit on part of vengsarkar.. no matter who becomes the selection chief, he ll be a yet another joker and he ll make the entire nation dumb $#$% damn................. :mad: