Comments and analysis during and after 1st final, CB Series vs Australia

Singh has dismissed Hayden and Symonds at the SCG Harbhajan Singh won the latest round of his feud withAustralia's cricketers when he captured the vital wickets ofMatthew Hayden and Andrew Symonds in Sunday's first tri-seriesfinal More... 'Weed' proves toxic to Aussie batsman Mar 2, 2008 India spinner Harbhajan Singh won the latest round of his feud with Australia's cricketers when he captured the vital wickets of Matthew Hayden and Andrew Symonds in Sunday's first tri-series final. The combative Harbhajan dismissed Symonds for 31 and denied Hayden the chance of a century when he removed him for 82 as India's bowlers restricted Australia to 239 for eight at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Australia's lower-order kept the runs ticking along to give the bowlers a respectable total to defend after an early collapse but India were still in a strong position to take the early honours in the best-of-three series. Australia made a slow start after Adam Gilchrist's final appearance in Sydney ended prematurely when he departed for seven, mistiming a short delivery from Praveen Kumar to Yuvraj Singh at mid-on. Kumar bagged a second wicket in his opening spell when Australia captain Ricky Ponting played on for one and Ishant Sharma dismissed Michael Clarke for four, caught by wicketkeeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Replays suggested the batsmen had missed the ball. Recent Disputes Hayden and Symonds, both embroiled in recent disputes with Harbhajan, steadied the innings with a fourth-wicket partnership of 100 from 105 balls but the Indian had the last laugh. Symonds, who accused of Harbhajan of racially abusing him during the Sydney test, holed out to Kumar in the deep when he tried to smash him out of the ground. Hayden, reprimanded on Friday after describing Harbhajan as an "obnoxious weed" and challenging Sharma to a fight, had looked to be in ominous form as he raced towards a hundred. The left-hander struck 10 boundaries off 88 balls before he came unstuck when also fell to Harbhajan, caught by all-rounder Piyush Chawla. Harbhajan, who described Hayden as one of the most disliked cricketers in the international game, cheekily celebrated his success by shadow boxing with his team mate Yuvraj. The Australians were in deep trouble at 135 for five in the 28th over but recovered thanks to some lusty hitting by the middle order. Mike Hussey led the fightback with a watchful 45 before he was run out and Brad Hogg (23 not out), Brett Lee (17) and James Hopes (15) all chipped in with valuable contributions.

Yuvi can never be a great test player! I have totally changed my mind. He is a great limited overs players. However, I am one of his biggest fans but I just dont think he has what it takes to be a consistent test match batsman. His play of spin at times is shocking, as illustrated by todays awful dismissal. I feel we will have to look elsewhere for a test match batter.

Forget test cricket he's struggling in ODIs right now. Such good talent but lack of consistency. Just when everything seems to fall in place for him he has major brain farts. He's not incapable but he lacks sense at times.

Forget test cricket he's struggling in ODIs right now. Such good talent but lack of consistency. Just when everything seems to fall in place for him he has major brain farts. He's not incapable but he lacks sense at times.
if thats the case (above ^), then should someone else be in the Team instead of Yuvraj?
TFSEMNHFMHA* needs your donations! *The Foundation to Surgically Extricate Mark Nicholarse' Head From Matthew Hayden's Arse TFSEMNHFMHA humbly requests donations of as much as you are willing to part with for the noble purpose of funding an operation so that Mark Nicholarse's head can surgically be removed from Matthew Hayden's arse. Those of you wondering why we at TFSEMNHFMHA are begging for donations: it's the only way it'll be removed, Nicho's head is too far up Hayden's arse now for any other way to work. Paypal, checks and brown envelopes all welcome.
Even the Aussies are catching on, it seems. http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/yoursay/index.php/theaustralian/comments/cmon_mark_call_it_like_it_is/desc/P50/ C’mon Mark, call it like it is By Paul Toohey IT used to be that I couldn’t cop Tony Greig. I suppose it was partly the accent, partly the way he’d say “right off the meat of the bat” 30 times in an innings, partly the way he’d stick his key into the pitch. But after so many summers living with him, familiarity has bred acceptance. Same with Bill Lawry, who always starts sentences like a swimmer who’s jumped the starting gun. After a couple of decades you come to realise that hating him would be like hating your own grandpa. Richie Benaud, who sometimes says so much while saying nothing at all, is also just a part of life. He is, as one writer once said, summer’s “lizard on the log”, eyes alert in every direction, tongue out for the flies. So I bear this in mind when laying into Channel Nine’s imported commentator and apparent Wide World of Sports cricket anchorman, Englishman Mark Nicholas. Maybe one day he, too, will be part of the wallpaper. But for now, there is one word that best describes this chap above all others: unctuous. Nicholas is sharp and professional. He is also sycophantic and obsequious to a point which many Australians find deeply grating. Nicholas feels it his duty to lick the boots of his fellow commentators as if they were gods with his skin-crawlingly admiring questions. He treats standard shots executed by Australian batsmen, or throws to the stumps by Australian fielders (even ones that miss) as though their actions have been personally guided by the hand of the Almighty. Every member of every Australian team is: “Sue-perb.” “In-credible. Ab-so-lutely incredible. He’s just so strong,” said Nicholas on Sunday’s first one-day final when Andrew Symonds tonked a ball for four over the bowler’s head. It was as though Nicholas had never seen such a thing before. Yet the shot was, by Symonds’ standards, restrained. No matter how disastrous Australia may be faring in a game, according to Nicholas we are always “in the box seat”. It is though he feels, as a guest Australian, an obligation to paint a perpetually optimistic picture of Australia’s chances, as if we, the audience, would be offended if he were to dare suggest that our team might ever be in a spot of bother. Nicholas reminds me of how a British officer might have been with the diggers at Gallipoli. “I say lads,” says Major Nicholas to the diggers, “if you all get out of that trench and head for that hill, it will all be ab-so-lutely terrific.” There are legitimate cultural cringe questions as to why Channel Nine, which has owned Australian cricket since 1979, would choose a Pom as their centrepiece commentator - especially one who has never, unlike the rest of Nine’s commentary team, worn a Test cap. But looking at the quite lively blog commentary out there about Nicholas, Australians don’t seem too hung up about his being a Pom. There seems to be a divide between those who haven’t looked at his commentating but consider him dapper and articulate (which he certainly is) and those who think him fawning and overblown (which he also is). One Aussie blogger wrote last year: “Nicholas drools constantly over certain Aussie players - and not even the best ones! He drones on and on and on about Andrew Symonds. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Nicholas will soon be applying for an Australian passport. And a wedding licence to Symonds soon after. If Andrew Symonds is reading this - you must steal a march on Nicholas! Take out the restraining order NOW!!” Others say of Nicholas: “…debonair and quick-witted…” “…he is so easy on the eye…” “Brings that intangible polish and authority to the Nine team…” “It’s the smarmy tone, moronic catchphrases and lack of any real insight.” “The slimiest, most uninsightful ******** (who) could never sit anywhere else but firmly on the fence…” “Smug annoying Englishman! I’ve survived through Ian Chappell but don’t think I can make it through Mark Nicholas.” “They should spend their money on better commentators – one’s that you can actually listen to and aren’t afraid to speak their mind.” “Mark Nicholas is the most pompous, verbose member of the commentary team … Nicholas resorts to a myriad of adjectives: ‘With all the grace and power of a statue from the Roman empire’; and ‘Oh wow, fantastic, that is quite spectacularly phenomenal’.” The message to Mark Nicholas seems to be: be yourself. And if you are being yourself, then please be someone else.