Sachin's 42nd hundred celebration!

Great knock by one of the all time great ODI bats. Methinks, Sachin will call it quits after the Asia cup & Champs trophy, later this year. His fitness is on the wane (as witnessed by his regular cramps at the end of his long ODI innings), he should pay attention to these signs & call it quits, to prolong his test career. We should groom a replacement opener, in the next 6 months.

Great knock by one of the all time great ODI bats. Methinks' date=' Sachin will call it quits after the Asia cup & Champs trophy, later this year. His fitness is on the wane (as witnessed by his regular cramps at the end of his long ODI innings), he should pay attention to these signs & call it quits, to prolong his test career. We should groom a replacement opener, in the next 6 months.[/quote'] No way. I predict he will play to 2011 world cup no probs

Ok Kiddos, cut the silly fights... Its celebration time today ! :yay: I would rate this among top 5 Sachin innings in ODIs. Greatest part was how he stayed there till the end, even in my wildest dreams the most I expected out of him chasing was a 80 odd. This is just top of the bill stuff from him.

Guest HariSampath
On Saturday, after that practice session, Tendulkar did an interview with Channel Nine. He was taken to the cricket museum of the SCG Trust and was handed the bat used by Don Bradman. "It was an experience, a special moment, to hold Sir Don's bat, the one that he actually played with. Nice to follow that up with a hundred."
Ok, now we know how Sachin came up with such a high quality matchwinning innings , just a simple touch of Sir Donald's bat..the long ago touch of Sir Donald Bradman, and his ghost probably watching Sachin last time in Australia :P
And if he is batting like Sachin is at the moment' date=' why ever not?[/quote'] Sachin's batting, apart from the century innings, has hardly been anything worth bragging about. Even with the unbeaten century he is averaging under 40. Take away his century and his average in the series falls under 30, close to early 20s really. There is no point in suggesting as if Sachin is scoring at a super high average or anything.
Great knock by one of the all time great ODI bats. Methinks' date=' Sachin will call it quits after the Asia cup & Champs trophy, later this year. His fitness is on the wane (as witnessed by his regular cramps at the end of his long ODI innings), he should pay attention to these signs & call it quits, to prolong his test career. We should groom a replacement opener, in the next 6 months.[/quote'] I couldn't agree more with this post.... He has made his mind for a situation when he is going to retire. about mid of 2007 he did privately said at least he has thought of a specific when he will retire.... It might as well be by the end of this year itself....And so long he gets 1 opening partner in ODI, he will definitely make sure he learns all the tricks and treats from him. I feel SRT, the way he is playing, definitely has retirement in his mind. He wants go on high and that is what he has been doing for past few months... playing some exceptional knocks... test or odi...
lurks... he was unfortunate getting out couple of times. And beside' date=' pitches were too bad for ODIs... so it is really to harsh to target him just because he couldn't manage big scores early on. Sometimes it just doesnt work out....[/quote'] Not targetting him at all Dial. I maintain that Sachin critics are critical of aging warhorses, and that includes Dravid, Ganguly etc etc. So it is not only about Sachin. Secondly the Indian performance has benefitted more from the young gus, specially in limited over format, than the aging warhorses. Sure one can make an issue that Sachin is probably the best bet of the older brigade and thats fine by me but lets not take away the focus from what exactly has made the difference - youth. It is very prudent to remember that the biggest difference, atleast in my opinion, right now is the firm, easy going and yet decisive leadership by Dhoni.

Yep, you got that right. Dropping Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag was a difficult choice but i doubt that India would have been able to pull off a victory like this had they been in the team. These moves should have been made right after the World Cup. Dhoni's captaincy has been excellent as well. Remember, India under Dravid couldn't even beat average teams like England and WI, their record away from home was dismal.

Sachin's batting, apart from the century innings, has hardly been anything worth bragging about. Even with the unbeaten century he is averaging under 40. Take away his century and his average in the series falls under 30, close to early 20s really. There is no point in suggesting as if Sachin is scoring at a super high average or anything.
And what exactly is the average or cumulative runs of the players you are suggesting as his replacements?
Not targetting him at all Dial. I maintain that Sachin critics are critical of aging warhorses, and that includes Dravid, Ganguly etc etc. So it is not only about Sachin. Secondly the Indian performance has benefitted more from the young gus, specially in limited over format, than the aging warhorses. Sure one can make an issue that Sachin is probably the best bet of the older brigade and thats fine by me but lets not take away the focus from what exactly has made the difference - youth. It is very prudent to remember that the biggest difference, atleast in my opinion, right now is the firm, easy going and yet decisive leadership by Dhoni.
That is the key Lurker. I dont reckon, the difference is just the youth. The difference really is the decisive leadership of Dhoni, inspired by some spirited bowling performances from our young bowlers. If you recall, the oldies did quite well in 2003/04 building tall scores. But somehow we would manage to lose each game, inspite of coming close. Come finals, our bowlers would bleed runs in torrents. Ganguly would stand at mid on & chew his nails all day, praying for something to happen. In Dravid's & Ganguly's era, we were victims of defensive captaincy. Ganguly & Dravid (to a less extent) didnt understand that the only way to stop the Aussie batting machine is to bowl them out. Their strategy to win was to OUTBAT the Aussies, which never worked. Dhoni thinks the opposite. He wants to outbowl the Aussies. It comes across as crazy & quite 'out of the box', but is working so far. Besides Dhoni does not care about the reputation of his players. Picking Chawla & Praveen Kumar ahead of Veeru, Sreesanth & Munaf (more experienced campaigners) seemed like a retarded move, TBH. But in hindsight i concede that it proved to be a master stroke. Veeru would have likely bowled 5 overs for 32 & scored about 20 runs as an opener. Sreesanth & Munaf on their best day, would have done what Praveen did today. Its easy to overlook what Chawla did at the other end when Bhajji was picking wickets. I doubt if Chawla were leaking plenty, Symmo or Haydos would have gone for such aggressive shots against Bhajji. All the little things we did right proved to be crucial in the end. The result: India for the FIRST TIME in years has won a FINALS India for the FIRST TIME in years has beaten the Aussies convincingly (5 overs & 6 wickets to spare)
Sachin's batting, apart from the century innings, has hardly been anything worth bragging about. Even with the unbeaten century he is averaging under 40. Take away his century and his average in the series falls under 30, close to early 20s really. There is no point in suggesting as if Sachin is scoring at a super high average or anything.
Man, your reading on Tendulkar has been so off that it's not even funny anymore and you are still coming up with posts like the above ie. take away this, take away that, not outs etc. etc.. I'll make it easier for you take away all Tendulkar's innings where he managed to score a run or more and it will make your job easier of proving Tendulkar has not been doing well.
And what exactly is the average or cumulative runs of the players you are suggesting as his replacements?
I am sure you are smart enough to realize one swallow doesnt make a summer. Let me ask you a straight question - In this ongoing series, whose contribution has been far more vital - Sachin or Rohit Sharma? Forget Dhoni, Ishant Sharma etc.
Man' date= your reading on Tendulkar has been so off that it's not even funny anymore and you are still coming up with posts like the above ie. take away this, take away that, not outs etc. etc.. I'll make it easier for you take away all Tendulkar's innings where he managed to score a run or more and it will make your job easier of proving Tendulkar has not been doing well.
You sound as if I am paying you to read my take on Sachin. :hysterical:
I believe Lurker has stopped watching cricket. There's no way anybody who's watched him in the Test series and today can do anything but drool.
Yes and in between Test games and LOI there was a good solid 8 games where the only ones that drooled where opposition bowlers!!! Funny how cricket can affect otherwise intelligent's people sense of judgement :D
I am sure you are smart enough to realize one swallow doesnt make a summer. Let me ask you a straight question - In this ongoing series, whose contribution has been far more vital - Sachin or Rohit Sharma? Forget Dhoni, Ishant Sharma etc.
Two sparkling knocks in two games that mattered- against SL and Aussies...one swallow doesn't make a summer??