Rohit Sharma Appreciation Thread

Bumper

He looks the most compact among the youngsters. GG and Uthappa are hopeless.
I'm telling you guys Uthappa = G Smith He is going to be a similar if not exactly the same player. He will have some unstoppable innings followed by some lbw dismissals. They've actually got the exact same technique - just mirror images...
I am purely speaking from an armchair critic pov' date=' which we all are but considering the circumstances; I was disappointed by that shot[/quote'] As was I - I'd have liked nothing better for him to produce a stunning 80 or 100 and guide us to victory, but considering it was a pressure situation with 7.5 runs needed per over, the other batsman plodding along and the kid's still played a very small handful of games, I'll forgive that dismissal. I just hope he can learn from it.
I'm telling you guys Uthappa = G Smith He is going to be a similar if not exactly the same player. He will have some unstoppable innings followed by some lbw dismissals. They've actually got the exact same technique - just mirror images...
Uthappa doesn't have any technique, so the comparison doesn't even begin. He's only a slightly better version of Afridi.
Of all the youngsters we have played he looks the most likely to be a long-term prospect in ODIs. And that is an excellent idea by chanakya ... i say send rohit sharma and robin uthappa both to an english county season as they could come back much better for the cause.
We cannot send any player to any other domestic cricket unless the authorities there want that particular player to play in their team as an overseas pro. Why would/ should they want to have these newbies as their overseas pro?

Many of our domestic cricketers play in the league/club cricket in UK and other countries like Scotland, because it is off season for them and it is a source of income too. Out of these or even other famous Indian players, whoever the county administration thinks would fit their requirement are invited to play for that county and a sum of money is payed to them. For example, Laxman as a solid middle order batsman was needed by Lancashire, so they invited him and since Laxman was not playing ODIs, he signed a contract for a month with them.

I agree with Dhondy, this wasn't supposed to be a dead rubber for these new guys. It was mistimed but he had Yuvi on the other hand, he just had to support him. He made a 52, made the selectors happy. Now these guys should know that there are so many players knocking the doors that have to grab that once change they get. Just imagine if he made a 70 or 100, we would have said..damn with sehwag; get Rohit
I have been advocating Rohit Sharma in place of Motu for a long time. Now is the time to send Motu back to Delhi and see what he can do. Sharma is a very very impressive cricketer of the new bunch that we see now - GG, RU, etc. My prediction is that in the future in tests, I think he will replace RD and become the 'New Wall'.

RE: the comment of sending RS and RU for an English season, I have a contra view, since I believe bowlers flourish in english conditions but batsmen, playing their version of dibbly-dobbly bowling, do not get the experience they really need. And for the comparison to Kaif, I believe RS scored at a better SR that Kaiif ever would. I, personally don't think he played badly and it portents well for the future, though he's not the Dravid replacement, since he's more of an attacking player and we need another wall.

When Rohit started the big shots, Yuvraj was on 28 off 41 - rather than support him, Rohit at least made an effort to add some impetus.
He is taking the place of Ganguly/Dravid and/or Laxman. If we have the same effect as the senior pros, what is the difference they are causing for the selectors to go for the tyros? BTW, the word you are looking for in 'impotence'. Ask Aamir Sohail if you don't agree.

A very decent player of the back foot, good foot-work against the spinners should be in the tests ahead of UV but i know thats not gonna happen any soon... they should atleast select him for the aus test series ...

And that is an excellent idea by chanakya ... i say send rohit sharma and robin uthappa both to an english county season as they could come back much better for the cause.
i don't think the BCCI will alow them...they will instead make them play in IPL Twenty20s

I am surprised many talked of his technique but no one really suggested what position he should have played. IMHO, he was perfect fit for #3 right before YS and Dhoni. Sehwag, Uthhu are sloggers and both are vulnerable to their favorite shots, cut shot to the keeper and LBW. They are very good when bowlers are busy stopping runs rather than taking wkts. Bowlers will always bowl a good length line outside the off stump. He is good for 1 down, ask him to play steady innings. Besides, with his perfect technique, he can play some handsome lofty drives especially when SRT is out early and need to take advantage of PP. This is how I want to play my batting order. SRT SG/GG Rohit Yuv Dhoni Uthu/GG Pathan I agree wth Dhonds.... he should have played cautiously. He knew if he had brought us close to the target then it would have been unavoidable to ignore him. Uthhapa and Sehwag were likely to be thrown out. But with his irresponsible stroke he has given the signals that he was lucky on that day to score 50 cuz even he was likely to play rash stroke like, Sehwag and Uthappa. Give him more chances.