Rohit Sharma Appreciation Thread

Bumper

What do you guys make of him ? Among the youngsters we've tried, he's prolly been the most consistent. Hasnt put a foot wrong so far, since the T20 competition. Scored a very useful 50* vs SA in T20, 30* in the finals vs Pak, followed by a 50 in this game, when wickets were falling around him. Decent technique, scores at an acceptable SR and can hit the big shots, when needed. We must groom him in the next 6 months, to play the role of a Dravid.

The kid has amazing balance when playing off the back foot. That was what really hit me when he batted against SAF in the T20 on a pitch offering a fair bit for the seamers. Very solid technique, has some classy shots all around the wicket and has the head to deliver runs in tighter situations - those three knocks you mentioned all came in fairly challenging scenarios (early collapse v. RSA, high pressure game v. Pak with the need for quick runs, big run chase here with a huge RR required and wickets falling at the other end), which says a lot about him. IMO, he should either be given an extended run with the ODI side where he'll actually be picked ahead of guys like Gambhir/Sehwag, or be allowed to play Ranjis to develop his game more and learn how to produce some big innings. Either way, I stand by my earlier predictions on him - he's going to make a lot of runs under that India cap in the coming years.

Threw away his wicket when well set- unforgivable. No amount of runs can assuage the indignation I feel. Any comparisons with Rahul Dravid at the moment is sacrilege, IMO. Rahul would never have done that.
In an ODI situation where the run rate needed was around 8 an over and going up, big shots were necessary. But yes, comparisons with Dravid are unnecessary (although Dravid has gifted his wicket away before in ODIs going for the big hits as well under pressure to score fast). Let him actually develop his game over some time - remember he's just had a bit more than one season under his belt in domestics, learn the art of batting big and start earning test runs - no sense making such comparisons at this stage.
Threw away his wicket when well set- unforgivable. No amount of runs can assuage the indignation I feel. Any comparisons with Rahul Dravid at the moment is sacrilege, IMO. Rahul would never have done that.
You are being unfair on a kid, who hasnt even played 5 ODIs yet. I wont say he threw away his wicket, looking at the replays, it looked like a clear mistiming. From 4 down for 62, he scored a 50 @ a SR of 85, taking us to a position of hope, tho not to a position of safety. He will learn with experience, but definitely worth the backing.

This kid is a class act. He has improved a lot since the last time i saw him (playing for India 'A' in Abu Dhabi) - like any Mumbai batsman he is technically correct, very orthodox. He is still capable of going over the top when necessary; making him ideal for almost any middle order position. That inside out six he hit today was very classy - great use of the feet and perfect placement. It's obvious that he has a lot of time to play his shots - that is the sign of a very good batsman. He should be picked for each and every ODI series and i wouldn't hesitate to include him in the Test squad either [if someone is injured].

Sorry Bumps, I am not as kindly disposed as you. When you get a soliatary chance to make a mark, you gotta grab it, particularly when you are in and have the opposition at your mercy. It was a criminal shot. Kaif wouldn't have done any worse.
He did not throw his wicket away. He was clearly looking to chip the ball over mid wicket but misread the straighter one and ended up lobbing it long on.

i dont think it will be wise to blame young rohit sharma. He is still learning. If a guy like sachin play a rash stroke and get out after having so many years of experience den such kind of thing should be expected to happen in loi's. he is still learning and i Am sure he is the next big thing in the indian cricket.

i am tempted to agree with you there. though i wont be as tough on him... the idea of gathering the singles and scoring atlest 5-6 runs an over without setting the fort ablaze comes with experience (if not the idea, the skill). its rather tempting to smash a part time spinner out of the ground especially at that age. maybe yuvraj could have helped by calming the bloke down after his initial outburst. too much aggression at untimely moments cost tendulkar his wicket (just when we well set for another 90).

:haha: What do you guys expect a rookie not even 5 matches old in internationel cricket to have done ? Scored 120 off 105 balls and guide India home ? We lost not because Sharma got out , but because of the top order collapse. He did quite good, i know of quite a few experienced pros who would have peed in their pants , when confronted with a similar situation.

I agree with Dhondy, this wasn't supposed to be a dead rubber for these new guys. It was mistimed but he had Yuvi on the other hand, he just had to support him. He made a 52, made the selectors happy. Now these guys should know that there are so many players knocking the doors that have to grab that once change they get. Just imagine if he made a 70 or 100, we would have said..damn with sehwag; get Rohit

I agree with Dhondy' date=' this wasn't supposed to be a dead rubber for these new guys. It was mistimed but he had Yuvi on the other hand, he just had to support him.[/quote'] I'd argue that point - Yuvraj was pottering around and looking quite uncomfortable when Rohit was at the wicket. He'd taken a blow to the head and wasn't middling the ball well, particularly against the spinners. When Rohit started the big shots, Yuvraj was on 28 off 41 - rather than support him, Rohit at least made an effort to add some impetus.
You are being unfair on a kid' date=' who hasnt even played 5 ODIs yet. I wont say he threw away his wicket, looking at the replays, it looked like a clear mistiming. From 4 down for 62, he scored a 50 @ a SR of 85, taking us to a position of hope, tho not to a position of safety. He will learn with experience, but definitely worth the backing.[/quote']
I'd argue that point - Yuvraj was pottering around and looking quite uncomfortable when Rohit was at the wicket. He'd taken a blow to the head and wasn't middling the ball well, particularly against the spinners. When Rohit started the big shots, Yuvraj was on 28 off 41 - rather than support him, Rohit at least made an effort to add some impetus.
On the same note, I'd say he should have been more cautious after that blow to Yuvis head. I am purely speaking from an armchair critic pov, which we all are but considering the circumstances; I was disappointed by that shot