4 out of top 10 richest are Indians

King Tendulkar

In a country where half a billion people live on one US dollar a day, where there is the largest number of malnourished children, the highest number of AIDS cases in the world and the largest number of people living in sub-saharan conditions, making the top 10 richest list is definitely not something to be proud of.

In a country where half a billion people live on one US dollar a day' date=' where there is the largest number of malnourished children, the highest number of AIDS cases in the world and the largest number of people living in sub-saharan conditions, making the top 10 richest list is definitely not something to be proud of.[/quote'] Usual crap that is bandied about every time media reports any positive news on India , so people should stop earning/creating wealth unless we solve every social problem we have?? Poverty and malnourished children are not caused due to someone earning millions. On the contrary all of these corporates have generated mass employment which has improved lives.

Usual crap that is bandied about every time media reports any positive news on India , so people should stop earning/creating wealth unless we solve every social problem we have?? Poverty and malnourished children are not caused due to someone earning millions. On the contrary all of these corporates have generated mass employment which has improved lives.
Nothing crap about it, its a very valid concern. India is already a class-divided society, these kind of extreme richness further fuels the class divide. And i ask you this- how and why is this news a good news for India, when there is so much poverty ? The media and cultural obsession with these numbers and positions in the 'richest chart' is what i find to be the most f*cked up of all- how about we focus on how many people became educated in the last year/are no longer in poverty, instead of simply thumping our chest when one or two of our countrymen become billionaires ? Oh and as far as I am concerned, there is no place for billionaires in a society of so many poor, landless and classless people. They earnt their billions, now government should tax the hell outta these joes and fuel the money into public works instead of seeing these bozos acquire a fleet of rolls royces. That would be the more humane thing to do.

It is fast getting to the point where such ratings are becoming meaningless. 4 Indians out of top 10?? You kidding me? Only a decade back there was not even one in top 100. So what happened in a decade? One positive aspect of ratings like this is always how low TATAs rank individually and how high they rank as a company. I have utmost regard for companies with that kind of business model.

cc1981, you seem to talk a lot of concern. but u have urself in the past admitted that u are selfish, and would like to think about ur comforts and would like to stay away from india. ur comforts first. and then u want others or some "govt entity" to be doing the "correct"(correct in ur opinion) thing. as though there are not such ppl who are as selfish as anyone else here (u, me, almost every poster here) out in the "govt entitity"

there is nothing wrong about being rich..hell..thats my only aim in life lol... but what is wrong is that we get excited in reading such news...and pump ourselves up thinking india is gonna be some super country soon. well..thats not how it works, not when you have 70% of the population living on <$1 a day. and cc...why should the govt. 'tax the hell out of' the rich ppl?? they earned their money through hard work and vision...they have all the rights to spend it in whatever way they please...they also donate money to charities so its not like they r doing nothing for the country's ppl just cause u dont have the ambition to be rich doesnt mean being rich or striving to be rich is bad

and then u want others or some "govt entity" to be doing the "correct"(correct in ur opinion) thing. as though there are not such ppl who are as selfish as anyone else here (u, me, almost every poster here) out in the "govt entitity" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am selfish but within reason. I don't care for zillions of dollars. If i won the lottery, i would probably donate most of it anyways. Anyways, there is a difference between material selfishness and selfishness of lifestyle. As far as i am concerned, there is no glory in a nation of hundreds of millions of paupers and a few billionaires...thats a situation to be ashamed of, because the ultimate goal is to make life as good as possible for everybody, not just make superstars.

thats my only aim in life lol...
And hopefully, one day you will realize that money means nothing. I personally come from a fairly rich family- richer than 99.9% of desis....but it really doesn't mean anything much. It doesn't make you happy, it doesn't do anything apart from letting you act out your basic impulses.
and cc...why should the govt. 'tax the hell out of' the rich ppl??
Simple answer- because it will serve the greater good. You don't need 5 billion dollars- nobody does. But that money distributed amongst the poor will go a long way. Oh and there is no such thing as 'earnt it fair and square'- what is 'fair' is totally arbitary. 100 yrs ago, it was 'fair and square' to earn money by selling human slaves. today it isn't. same applies essentially for today's dogma as well.
just cause u dont have the ambition to be rich doesnt mean being rich or striving to be rich is bad
It certainly is, if you are from a nation of zillions of really poor people.

And hopefully' date=' one day you will realize that money means nothing. I personally come from a fairly rich family- richer than 99.9% of desis....but it really doesn't mean anything much. It doesn't make you happy, it doesn't do anything apart from letting you act out your basic impulses. .
Given that you claim you are from a very rich family (> 99.9% desis), what would be ur parents take on "Taxing the hell out of" rich people?

what would be ur parents take on "Taxing the hell out of" rich people?
1. They are all for it 2. Even if they wern't, what has that gotto do with my views ? You seem to suggest that morals/ethics are dependent on what your parents do...thats rather wishy-washy a perspective.