The Sardarji Helmet case

Rajiv

Is anyone following this http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/03/06/helmet-sikh.html?ref=rss Sardarji was caught riding a bike without a helmet in Ontario, he took it to the courts and has lost the case He has BC license and apparently it's not a problem in BC His lawyer ( sardarji ) was on TV and was really cool in replying to amateur callers There is a law which says obese people are not allowed to wear seatbelts, sikh guy is asking for accommodation on religious ground Sikhs cannot wear a helmet on top of the turban, the workaround is to have a thicket turban

In India sikhs don't have to wear one. I read somewhere that sikh men and women:whatchutalkingabout are exempt from wearing a helmet.Is is correct? Why women? It should be interesting to know how many accidents involving sikhs with turbans result in serious head injuries... I hate wearing a helmet!:((

The Sikhs should wear helmets, dont see any reason why the ladies dont wear it specially. I dont mean to be rude but some of the Sikh laws are also problematic to others. I remember a Sikh child wearing kripaan in school and how other kids were terrified of it. Many grown up, men and women, wear it too and frankly I am not comfortable with that. It might have been correct centuries ago but today??

The Sikhs should wear helmets, dont see any reason why the ladies dont wear it specially. I dont mean to be rude but some of the Sikh laws are also problematic to others. I remember a Sikh child wearing kripaan in school and how other kids were terrified of it. Many grown up, men and women, wear it too and frankly I am not comfortable with that. It might have been correct centuries ago but today??
:hysterical:coming from the islamic apologist and all its archaic/backward/cruel rituals is quite hilarious!

Sikhs need to grow up. Lose the turban for the sake of your future generation. Don't become a nuisance to others, always expecting some rules changes and exemptions to accomodate your weird religious practices. Religon should be practiced at home. Once you are out on the street, got to obey the law of the land.

coming from the islamic apologist and all its archaic/backward/cruel rituals is quite hilarious!
Irrelevant and rather poor attempt at Islam-bashing here. The turban issue, along with the kirpan, is strictly a public and personal safety issue and on this, i am not with the Sikhs- sorry but not wearing a helmet while driving a two-wheeler is dangerous and irresponsible. If your religion makes it hard on you to be responsible and safe, i suggest upgrading your religion a bit. Now, i would like to know what is the basis of your comment on this thread, given that this is strictly a safety & public responsibility issue and i am yet to encounter an Islamic practice that is a direct threat to the safety of the public and/or the practitioner. Incase you want to raise the Burkha point, my attitude to that is consistent- there shall be no burkha when driving.

Irrelevant and rather poor attempt at Islam-bashing here. The turban issue, along with the kirpan, is strictly a public and personal safety issue and on this, i am not with the Sikhs- sorry but not wearing a helmet while driving a two-wheeler is dangerous and irresponsible. If your religion makes it hard on you to be responsible and safe, i suggest upgrading your religion a bit. Now, i would like to know what is the basis of your comment on this thread, given that this is strictly a safety & public responsibility issue and i am yet to encounter an Islamic practice that is a direct threat to the safety of the public and/or the practitioner. Incase you want to raise the Burkha point, my attitude to that is consistent- there shall be no burkha when driving.
Now how much experience do you have in wearing turbans or wearing burqas kiddo that you are stating an opinion here- shouldn't you wait till you experience these before posting here as per your own statements in the other thread

Sikhs need to grow up. Lose the turban for the sake of your future generation. Don't become a nuisance to others, always expecting some rules changes and exemptions to accomodate your weird religious practices. Religon should be practiced at home. Once you are out on the street, got to obey the law of the land.
The turban is there as a lightning rod for the intolerance that you are helping to spout. Far from needing upgrading or hiding...it is doing it's job quite well, wouldn't you say? By the way...is the law absolute or do we play a part in what it is? Is it wrong to bring arguments up in a court of law? If it is decided that you have to wear a helmet at the end...so be it. Is it wrong to ask the question though? Is it a nuisance to do so?

The turban is there as a lightning rod for the intolerance that you are helping to spout. Far from needing upgrading or hiding...it is doing it's job quite well, wouldn't you say? By the way...is the law absolute or do we play a part in what it is? Is it wrong to bring arguments up in a court of law? If it is decided that you have to wear a helmet at the end...so be it. Is it wrong to ask the question though? Is it a nuisance to do so?
Good Post. Sikhs are very generous and hard working people who have settled and integrated all over the world ,including turban wearers! They also bring great joy with their humour and big hearts.

Now how much experience do you have in wearing turbans or wearing burqas kiddo that you are stating an opinion here- shouldn't you wait till you experience these before posting here as per your own statements in the other thread
Incoherent from you, really. I made the comment about personal experience being necessary in respect to interpersonal relationships, not about ideology or having common sense. Simple fact is, not wearing helmet while driving a motorbike = health hazard to yourself. Period. None of the religious dogmatism can justify such a hazard for yourself and the future generation by the intractability of dogma.

Sikhs are very generous and hard working people who have settled and integrated all over the world ,including turban wearers! They also bring great joy with their humour and big hearts.
Irrelevant. What is relevant here is that civic law, particularly law about personal safety has to be respected. Bringing religion in that is not only dogmatic, it is stupid. By refusing to wear a turban when driving a motorbike, the sikh is not only endangering his own personal safety, he is endangering the personal safety of his kids by setting such an example and as well as refusing to let them wear a helmet. I fail to see the rationale behind your post, where you are completely ignoring common sense and personal safety for the sake of upholding a religious dogma. There is a campaign here in BC to remove the special status to the Sikhs for wearing turbans or wearing kirpans to the school- and i am completely 100% in support of the campaign, for not only is it a question of common sense & public safety, it is also a question of civic law being held to a higher standard than religious dogmatism. PS: Sikhs arn't exactly known for their integration skills in a new society.