Australia postpone Pakistan tour : Tour unlikely until at least 2009

Australia unlikely to tour Pakistan Australia's tour to Pakistan, scheduled for March-April, is looking increasingly doubtful following last week's meeting between the chairmen of both boards in Dubai. Following the get together, Creagh O'Connor, Cricket Australia's (CA) chairman, sent a letter to the Pakistan board expressing reservations about the security situation inside Pakistan. "We received a letter yesterday from CA following our meeting and though they reiterated their commitment to supporting Pakistan cricket, they said that security briefings they have received in Australia are advising them against touring," Nasim Ashraf, the PCB chairman, told Cricinfo. A CA security delegation is due to visit the country in the aftermath of the general elections due to be on February 18. But a report in the Urdu daily Jang said CA were unsure whether sending a delegation would serve any purpose now, indicating perhaps that a decision to not tour had already been made. "They have asked us whether we still want a security delegation sent here and if so when," Ashraf said. "In response to this, we have told CA that we still firmly believe that the environment for cricket and cricketers is still safe here. We have also said that the security team should visit Pakistan from February 25, exactly one week after the elections." Australian players have expressed concerns about touring Pakistan for what would be their first visit in a decade, following a year of increasing violence and instability through the country. Despite this South Africa and Zimbabwe have both completed tours in recent months without any glitches. But privately, board officials now concede that the trip is becoming an unlikely prospect and the PCB has already insured the series against cancellation. "Certainly public utterances coming from Australia seem quite indicative of them not wanting to tour Pakistan so it wouldn't be a surprise if they pulled out," one official told Cricinfo. Pakistan will, however, continue to press for the visit to go ahead. Shafqat Naghmi, the PCB's chief operating officer, is scheduled to meet James Sutherland, CA's chief executive, in Kuala Lumpur and further discuss security arrangements. "We stress that incidents could happen anywhere in the world," Ashraf said. "They happen in Sri Lanka, they happened in Glasgow last year when we were there for an ODI and bombs went off in England in 2005 when Australia were there. We have to make decisions not just on perceptions, but ground realities. "We are making every effort to ensure the tour goes ahead. It would be a big loss to Pakistan cricket if they didn't tour." Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of Cricinfo

This whole thing screams of an excuse to get out of the series so the players would be free to play IPL. The security issue is relevant, but it's not as big a deal as CA is making it out to be. If that is the case, then it's quite disappointing. I'm still holding out hope that Australia will playand we might have a decent tour. That hope is fading pretty fast though.

This whole thing screams of an excuse to get out of the series so the players would be free to play IPL. The security issue is relevant' date= but it's not as big a deal as CA is making it out to be. If that is the case, then it's quite disappointing. I'm still holding out hope that Australia will playand we might have a decent tour. That hope is fading pretty fast though.
CA chiefs are also trying their best to mend relationships with the AUS players after the Harbhajan saga.
This whole thing screams of an excuse to get out of the series so the players would be free to play IPL. The security issue is relevant, but it's not as big a deal as CA is making it out to be. If that is the case, then it's quite disappointing. I'm still holding out hope that Australia will playand we might have a decent tour. That hope is fading pretty fast though.
With all due respect , since you are a Pakistani obviously it is beyond your realm of imagination to wonder why countries don't like to tour Pakistan and then you guys will insists that they scream such excuses. This is the standard line used by other Pakistanis in PP . Are you guys by any chance forgetting the recent 3-0 arse-whopping in a neutral venue or the 3-0 arse-whopping in Australia.
This whole thing screams of an excuse to get out of the series so the players would be free to play IPL.
That could be said if CA were just trying to avoid the series. They suggested they could host, or play at a neutral venue, which indicates they'd like to play the series - just not in Pakistan.
With all due respect ' date=' since you are a Pakistani obviously it is beyond your realm of imagination to wonder why countries don't like to tour Pakistan and then you guys will insists that they scream such excuses. This is the standard line used by other Pakistanis in PP . Are you guys by any chance forgetting the recent 3-0 arse-whopping in a neutral venue or the 3-0 arse-whopping in Australia.[/quote'] I did acknowledge that security was an issue. And not just a minor one either. It's one that may actually be big enough to cause a cancellation. BUT, from everything I've read, it seems really obvious that the IPL scheduling has a part in this. The Aussie players are openly talking about playing in the tourney, as if the only hurdle is sponsorship issue. But what do I know, what with that tiny realm of imagination of mine. Aside: Why does every response have to be hostile on this board? Is it really that big a deal that I'm Pakistani that people have to pick a fight at every possible oppurtunity?
That could be said if CA were just trying to avoid the series. They suggested they could host, or play at a neutral venue, which indicates they'd like to play the series - just not in Pakistan.
That's a good point. But what it says to me is that maybe the maybe wouldn't mind a cancellation either. Ashraf has a history of "cooperation" with the BCCI (I guess I can't blame him, he pretty much has to). What I'd like to see if the PCB hold out until the Australian security delegation submits their report. If they say it's unsafe (which they almost surely will), then bring up the idea of neutral venue. I don't that'll happen though.
I did acknowledge that security was an issue. And not just a minor one either. It's one that may actually be big enough to cause a cancellation. BUT, from everything I've read, it seems really obvious that the IPL scheduling has a part in this. The Aussie players are openly talking about playing in the tourney, as if the only hurdle is sponsorship issue. But what do I know, what with that tiny realm of imagination of mine. Aside: Why does every response have to be hostile or this board? Is it really that big a deal that I'm Pakistani that people have to pick a fight at every possible oppurtunity?
Why are deeming my post to be hostile . You are more than welcome here. In fact , I would like more Pakistanis to post here . Security is definitely an issue . Don't forgot that Andrew Symonds had broached this subject of security long before IPL contracts came to fruition.

CA's major concern for security could stem from the fact that elections are in the near future, if I'm right, which could again stir up the political brew there. I just fear that if Australia don't tour, the PCB will come begging to the BCCI to help them out financially again. And then glory be, 2008-2009 will be filled with about 7 tests and 125 ODIs for 15 different trophies between India and Pakistan to fill up both boards' coffers.

Zimbabwe just played an entire one-day series without problems. What fckin problems does CA have with sending their team ? This is just BS, tbh.
If Zim played in Pakistan, its their choice. Australians have every right to cancel the tour specially if they receive an adverse report from their authorities.