Over merging

i like the non-littered look of the forum...some times we open so many unnecessary threads that it becomes difficult to reply.. and many of the threads have a life of some 10-12 posts only...so its always better to merge them..and keep them at one place...
If clearly same topic, then yes, it can be merged. But dont over do it.
Dhondy's thread was discussing about bhajji Gambhir thread was about Gambhir. Atleast do not merge big threads. Smaller threads its ok. It took me a while to find out the posts on Gambhir thread. If poster has to spend 10-15 minutes in finding the posts and threads, its not good thing. You are over-organising things.
Dhondy's thread was discussing selection of Indian squad. Gambhir's thread asked this question which was already asked in Dhondy's thread and rest of the thread was about selection. Same with Chopra thread. Just go through the pages and see some people were even complaining about too many threads. Same topic threads are merged!!

Merging threads is necessary to keep the board clean & organized. I agree that sometimes, you start a thread hoping to catch people's attention & all of a sudden its part of a big thread & you dont get the right responses, but more often than not, many threads end up discussing the same thing over & over again. Thats what Chandan is trying to fix. As i see, to work this out, both parties can come to a compromise. Posters must take more responsibility & look around to see if there are discussions on similar topics. If so, dont start another thread, please consider contributing to the existing thread. That'll make Chandan's job easier. Chandan too has been requested to go easy on the merging. To further optimize this, we can let the thread live its life (couple of days). If by then, it doesnt evoke any real discussion, merge it.

I'd counsel against merging, mods. People like to see their own threads flourish, and should be given that opportunity. The better threads will stay afloat, so even here, market mechanisms will come into play. Try and be as hands-off as possible, in the best traditions of policy makers.:D

I'd counsel against merging, mods. People like to see their own threads flourish, and should be given that opportunity. The better threads will stay afloat, so even here, market mechanisms will come into play. Try and be as hands-off as possible, in the best traditions of policy makers.:D
Yes, as hands-off as possible is the best strategy. :two_thumbs_up:

Yes hands off. Many threads have own topics. I mean merging all selection discussions in one thread is crazy. Fair enough sachin scores a ton and 10 threads congratulating him pop up then merge them but really a lot of the time seperate discussions are being merged. I mean my Gambhir thread had gone in to a 2nd page on its own before merging

Besides, the Gambhir thread was moving in a completely different direction where the old topic of how Sachin was retained despite poor performance in 3 series consecutively was getting discussed.
I tend to avoid merging. If it is required, then I normally choose to select a few posts from the thread that are going away from topic and move them to another thread (or merge them with another thread), and of course request the posters in the thread to not go off topoic.
I tend to avoid merging at all costs. If it is required' date=' then I normally choose to select a few posts from the thread that are going away from topic and move them to another thread (or merge them with another thread)[/quote'] A thread is moving away from its topic, SO WHAT. Some of the best threads do this. It is funny seeing the story of a thread and its development. Stop being so organised!