Egg Industry kill male chicks cruelly

coffee_rules

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Food is food but need to minimize suffering of animals wouldn't you agree? Don't you have stun guns in slaughterhouses in Canada precisely for that purpose? There will always be killing as long as we are around, but need to become more civilized over time.  

Yes i agree. Hence I see the Chinese folk practice of ‘ skin the creature alive so it’s the freshest possible meat’ to be barbaric and way too much. 

Any mass scale industrial process will be less individualized and more thoughtless than a cottage industry. Doesn’t matter if it’s steel mill or local blacksmith moortiwalla or if it’s industrial egg farming vs local mausi with 6 chickens and a rooster. We have to adjust our expectations of what minimal suffering is accordingly 

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I never believed that, but science can't be wrong. So, I will go by what I can feel about what they can feel. Cows and Chicks go through pain that I can imagine. So, hence, I will avoid contributing to that industry. But plants? I got to live, as Basanti would say, "ghoda agar ghaas se dosti karega to khayega kya?"

Well same can be said about an omnivore making dosti with meat. Omnivory is a huge decisive evolutionary skill and in most mass dyings like ice age ending and stuff, it’s omnivores that are least affected. Evolution works by ‘ use it or lose it’ and I know that it won’t affect humans for maybe a 1000+ generations but going exclusively vegetarian is a wrong genetic preference to have for an omnivore 

On 2/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, Muloghonto said:

At the risk of sounding dumb, I must ask, what’s the difference between you and a botanist ? My mom is a MSc in Botany. Are they the same thing ?!

Botany is the broad field of study of plants - how plants look, how are they related, which plants inhabit what area, how they interact with other plants and other organisms etc.  

Plant biochemistry is a fusion of botany and chemistry - it focuses on "how plants work."  What is their chemical composition? What chemical reactions occur under different conditions, and how do the machines work that make those reactions occur?

Thank you for asking.  It made me think carefully about how to express what I do.  

On 2/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, coffee_rules said:

I never believed that, but science can't be wrong. So, I will go by what I can feel about what they can feel. Cows and Chicks go through pain that I can imagine. So, hence, I will avoid contributing to that industry. But plants? I got to live, as Basanti would say, "ghoda agar ghaas se dosti karega to khayega kya?"

J C Bose and others had hypothesized this over a century ago, but we did not have the sensitive instrumentation to study them carefully.  That has changed in the past decade.  

The science is the science, but as you allude, how one chooses to use scientific information is values-based.  Problems arise when people (not you) make a choice based on values, and then deny the science if it conflicts with their values.