Chappell is real hero of India's success: More

suraj

New Delhi: Acknowledging the efforts of former coach Greg Chappell, India's former chief selector Kiran More said former coach Greg Chappell should be given due credit for what he has done for Indian cricket. Talking to newspersons here today, More said, ''I have great respect for Greg Chappell.'' ''These were his (Chappell's) ideas that are being used today and are producing great results for the team,'' he claimed. More said giving Dhoni the captaincy for India's one-day side was not an immediate decision by the BCCI under Sharad Pawar and during his tenure the Jharkhand lad was being considered for the all important post. ''Dhoni's selection as the captain was not an immediate decision. When Chappell was the coach for this Indian team, the issue was discussed time and again,'' he said. ''He is great player and a positive captain too. '' He further added that Dhoni's recent remarks which said, ''I was very clear about the players I wanted in the team and wanted to send the message across,'' need to be accepted as he is the captain of this successful side. ''One needs to accept the captains' words and especially when he is producing results for you,'' More said adding,''Everybody is praising the team and Dhoni, but what if they had performed poorly. I have been a great believer of his captaincy and I would have still backed this team.'' He also showered praise on India's Test captain Anil Kumble and said people should not overlook his achievement in Australia as it was an extension of his efforts that India went on to win the CB Series. ''Kumble has done a creditable job in Australia and everyone forgot him after the CB series' win,'' he said. ''During this moment of glory people have forgotten Kumble who started it all. I think he handled the team very well throughout the tour. He was there during the 'Harbhajan's racial remarks' issue and the way he handled the team is really creditable.'' BCCI president Sharad Pawar's recent claims that said Sachin Tendulkar was the driving force for Dhoni's selection as the captain were endorsed by More but he said the Little Master is always considered for his valuable inputs for the team. ''Sachin's decisions have always been influential and he is always consulted for every big or small issue pertaining to Indian cricket.'' The former Indian wicketkeeper was a little disappointed after India's CB series' star Gautam Gambhir was left out of the squad for the opening Test against South Africa. ''Gambhir should have been included in the squad. He is a very talented batsman and should therefore be moulded so that he can become even better,'' he opined. http://thatscricket.oneindia.in/news/2008/03/24/2403chappell-is-the-real-hero-of-india-more.html

basically he wants credit.. he's saying that these were his and chappels ideas that are being used today. He even goes on to say that dhoni was considered for captaincy even when he was selector! What a load of BS. This guy was sacked in 2006, and it was absurd to even consider him for captaincy then..

''Dhoni's selection as the captain was not an immediate decision. When Chappell was the coach for this Indian team, the issue was discussed time and again,'' he said. ''He is great player and a positive captain too. '' He further added that Dhoni's recent remarks which said, ''I was very clear about the players I wanted in the team and wanted to send the message across,'' need to be accepted as he is the captain of this successful side.
everybody wants credit for picking Dhoni as the captain.... huh

The real heroes of India's success are the players themselves but I agree with More that Greg Chappell definitely had some role in it. When he was coach his attempts to build a young team were dashed due to India's repeated losses. Now that we are winning the youth policy is being hailed. No wonder Dhoni keeps mentioning that he expected the team to be backed even if they had lost the CB Series.

Yes, I agree. Greg Chappel had the right idea with ruthless selection in the name of youth. He saw the fielding problem and the issue of building toward the future with three team mainstays, especially in the ODI team, as a clear problem. He foresaw many of the issues that India felt in the England ODI series and the Australia in India ODI series. Because of this, few of his moves can be seen as moronic or deliberately detrimental to India, as a few hardline Indian fans believe. However, his selection policies were not successful in the slightest. The board were uncooperative and perhaps it wasn't his fault that he could not carry out his vision for Indian cricket; but because of this, he can not be acredited for any sort of current success.

The real heroes of India's success are the players themselves but I agree with More that Greg Chappell definitely had some role in it. When he was coach his attempts to build a young team were dashed due to India's repeated losses. Now that we are winning the youth policy is being hailed. No wonder Dhoni keeps mentioning that he expected the team to be backed even if they had lost the CB Series.
Exactly. Back when India were on a winning streak, the youth policy was portrayed as a big success and Chappell had been christened "Guru" Greg. The media will change the public's perception of the team based on how the results are - when the team wins, they do so because of "youthful vigor"; when the team loses, they are "inexperienced". Once Dhoni's team goes into a slump, you will see the same thing happening. That said, More is right. Before Chappell, the Indian cricket team had gone stale - the same old figures from 8 years ago were leading the side, the same old figures were relied upon to deliver wins. Chappell at least opened the Indian public's eyes and showed them that India needed to find some new players to take the team forward. BTW, not once has More called Chappell a "hero". Some of you dimwits should learn how to read
yes, chapple wanted young ones..and his idea... but he also wanted sachin @ 4, which was plain dumb pathan @ 3..another dumbarse move brought back dinesh mongia fag didnt talk to team india during WC.. what bs
Sachin at #3 or #4 wasn't the best move, but it paid off didn't it ? Uthappa scored lots of runs against West Indies and Sri Lanka, and Tendulkar himself got a hundred off 77 balls against WI. India won both of those series. Ganguly had done the same thing with Tendulkar back in '02. I never agreed with playing him out of position, but if your team wins matches it shouldn't be a big issue... ...and India still uses Pathan at 3. I bet you didn't think it was dumb when he was scoring runs. Most will agree that Greg was a poor coach, but he did make some much-needed changes to the Indian cricket team. Someone had to do it, and he did

Greg Chapell is the biggest joke ever happened in Indian cricket. He is just given credit by some people in India because he is Australian and a gora. These people have inferiority complex syndrome as Gavaskar had pointed out. Look at the Indian Team now and compare it to how it was when Greg Chapell was the coach. One can sense so much happiness in the Indian team which was absent when Greg Chapell was around. Greg Chapell was quarelsome and hampered harmony in the team.

Look at the Indian Team now and compare it to how it was when Greg Chapell was the coach. One can sense so much happiness in the Indian team which was abent when Greg Chapell was around. Greg Chapell was quarelsome and hampered harmony in the team.
He had good ideas but he was an awful coach, for the reaons you stated above.
if ganguly and dhoni r the best things to have happ to indian cricket' date=' that ugly twatt chappell is the worst- he was basically a dumb bloke who lived in an unreal world and the results of team india reflected his shitty personality[/quote'] i guess ure a ganguly fan greg chappel had the right strategy but unfortunately india wasnt the right place to implement it our fans want to see new blood in the team but at the same time they also want to win all the games : thats the fault
Yeah' date=' India winning their first test series in WI after 35 years was really bad[/quote'] yeah...:giggle: and winning 17 games on trott while chasing was worse than this :D...Guys...chappel was a good coach ..wat people need to understand is he had good ideas which were not implemented properly..the gaga of youth india singing today was brought up by him..wen success comes everything looks good..if india had failed to win CB series every1 wud have been blaming Dhoni...a coach's job is to plan strategy, to execute it only and only players should be responsible...chappell aciheved some good results ...just bcoz he is an aussie...lets just not disrespect him.....he should get some credit for india doing well abroad